Wedding Party

Re: l

• edited June 2016
    I guess my feelings were just hurt, that's all. 
    Thanks for the advice. I'm just going to ride it out and see what happens.
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2016
    eileenrob said:
    Yeah, there definitely could've been an abridged version at the bottom saying: "my on again off again friend from high school is my MOH, and she's ticking me off".
    If she's stressing you out, I'd back off completely.  She's bought a dress in the color and material you requested, her next (and final) duty as MOH is to show up in her dress on your wedding day and stand at your side through the ceremony.  The extra help you're upset about not getting isn't required.  I'd limit contact with her.
    She said her MOH didn't get a dress in the same color or material. So that sucks. But yeah they shouldn't have duties but it seems silly that the MOH is jealous that others have duties while she doesn't. The OP complaining about her being jealous seems fair but not that she isn't helping, because she doesn't need to. I think this MOH is adding unnecessary stress and OP should either be 100% honest with her or reduce contact. I know you want this friendship to be the way it used to be but she is proving she has a pattern.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only thing I would confront her about is getting the wrong color dress.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    Honestly, with this woman's lifelong pattern of getting jealous and distancing herself from you whenever she's not the number 1 person in your life, and her forcing you to initiate all interactions between you when things are going well, your "friendship" with her isn't a healthy relationship that I would want to keep going.

Since you did ask her to be your MOH, you are stuck. But the only "responsibilities" she has as such are to acquire the dress you designate, show up in it on time, sober, and in good spirits, process and recess down the aisle on cue, and pose for some photos, and if she won't do even that much then she's taken herself out of your wedding party and you can discontinue the friendship after the wedding. So you can inform her that she needs to get the right color dress.

As for her jealousy, again, you can tell her that it's hurting your friendship, but I wouldn't expect anything to change along those lines and I wouldn't mention your wedding in that context.
  • Thanks for all the advice. I talked to my fiance about everything and he made some valid points. He said I can either be mad and upset and let it get to me or I can just let it go. Either be mad or don't be mad.
    So I'm just going to see how it goes. I'm still going to invite her to any activities myself and the other BMs plan just because I think that's the right thing to do. I don't want to exclude her from anything but I'm just not going to let it bother me anymore if she has no interest. Like many of you have said, she is not required to do anything but show up on the big day. I guess I was just hurt that she is not more involved and got the wrong dress. But I'm not going to  make a stink out of it with her. 

Thanks for the advice. It was nice to hear it from some one else's perspective. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yes, you can still invite her to things to include her. But she has no responsibility except to show up the day of in the agreed upon dress (I see that didn't exactly work out- but I'd let it go- it's just a dress).

If she complains about being replaced and the BMs taking away her "role" you can let her know the above, "Friend, I asked you to be my MOH because I want to honour you and our friendship. You are not required to do any additional duties. BMs have offered to help out and plan these events on their own, so I've accepted".

Weddings don't change people, if anything, they make flaws worse. Decide after the wedding if this is a person you really want in your life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards