Chit Chat

mommy forum recommendations

I have really loved these boards for wedding planning and beyond but I am a new mom and would like to join a community where I can get advice/support about being a mom. Anyone have any recommendations?  Thank you.

Re: mommy forum recommendations

• Try your FB Mom-to-Moms. 

Stay away from the American Babycenter...those girls will cut you. 
  • Thencomesfamily .com 

(minus the space)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I could never get into the forums (kept comparing everything to TK :D) but when you're ready for blogs, Scary Mommy and Sanctimommy on Facebook are terrific.
  • eileenrob said:
    I could never get into the forums (kept comparing everything to TK :D) but when you're ready for blogs, Scary Mommy and Sanctimommy on Facebook are terrific.
    Pregnant Chicken is good too!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I've been lurking on the bump and dear god, if people think TK is bitchy, just check that place out. I thought about participating in my birth month board instead of just lurking but I will definitely pass.
  • @kvruns What month are you? I love my BMB.

• kvrunskvruns member

@emmaaa November. You? maybe I'm just catching it on a bad time, like there was an influx of "special snowflakes" or something and now this is the aftermath I have no idea. It just seems like you're only allowed to post on special daily posts, shouldn't start anything else and god forbid a thread has a bunch of views but not posts.

it also seems like I has a lot of posting rules, not the birth month but I remember from some of the TTC stuff.

• @kvruns I'm October. I have seen some of the Nov. drama though. We have daily threads but people still post different topics (some posters like that, those who don't usually ignore it).

I only ever lurked on TTGP and never got the courage to post there. There are definitely more rules and expectations for posting than TK

• kvrunskvruns member
    emmaaa said:
    @kvruns I'm October. I have seen some of the Nov. drama though. We have daily threads but people still post different topics (some posters like that, those who don't usually ignore it).

I only ever lurked on TTGP and never got the courage to post there. There are definitely more rules and expectations for posting than TK

I just popped over earlier this week and saw a "save our board" thing, and then a thread about sandwiches (which honestly make sense to me, the deli meat/listeria thing is always a hot topic it seems) which was referenced in a different post and I suppose the Queen of the Nov board was like I can't believe there was 2 pages on freaking sandwiches. It made me both laugh and think yep definitely not ever posting.
  • kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:
    @kvruns I'm October. I have seen some of the Nov. drama though. We have daily threads but people still post different topics (some posters like that, those who don't usually ignore it).

I just popped over earlier this week and saw a "save our board" thing, and then a thread about sandwiches (which honestly make sense to me, the deli meat/listeria thing is always a hot topic it seems) which was referenced in a different post and I suppose the Queen of the Nov board was like I can't believe there was 2 pages on freaking sandwiches. It made me both laugh and think yep definitely not ever posting.
    Hahah, my board talks about the Nov. board and lurks when we're bored. Lol

• kvrunskvruns member
    emmaaa said:
    kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:

oh wow, that is good to know then that it is just a crazy board and not just all of the bump.

• kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:
    kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:

oh wow, that is good to know then that it is just a crazy board and not just all of the bump.

I mean a lot of TB is crazy to me though. The Baby Names board, they are SUPER judgy.

• kvrunskvruns member
    emmaaa said:
    kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:
    kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:

I mean a lot of TB is crazy to me though. The Baby Names board, they are SUPER judgy.

I just read your BMB baby name thread....so I guess you guys have drama too LOL. I didn't know there was a baby name board....I need some entertainment at work so might head over :)
  • kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:
    kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:
    kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:

I just read your BMB baby name thread....so I guess you guys have drama too LOL. I didn't know there was a baby name board....I need some entertainment at work so might head over :)
    OH YES! There's always people who poke in just to start drama. You'll have to filter through some of the thread on that board because some are tame but occasionally, there's one that blows up

• kvruns said:

@emmaaa November. You? maybe I'm just catching it on a bad time, like there was an influx of "special snowflakes" or something and now this is the aftermath I have no idea. It just seems like you're only allowed to post on special daily posts, shouldn't start anything else and god forbid a thread has a bunch of views but not posts.

it also seems like I has a lot of posting rules, not the birth month but I remember from some of the TTC stuff.

Totally! Maybe it'll be different when I'm actually pregnant, but I am not a fan of the bump right now, especially the trying to get pregnant board. Unless you are religiously temping and charting and tracking every little thing to try to get pregnant, there's basically no place for you. Almost every new thread that gets posted, the regs tell people it isn't worth its own thread and to go to the weekly Two Week Wait or Waiting to Ovulate or "Benched" threads. Well, what about the thousands of people who get pregnant just by banging it out the old fashioned way? There's literally nowhere for them until they get pregnant. I've thought about just posting a thread for all the ladies doing it the old fashioned way, and I may still, but so far I've decided it's just not worth the hassle. 

There's already a Trouble Trying to Conceive board, and I feel like most of the TTGP board - the atmosphere, the community, the rules, everything -  would be better suited for a trouble board. 

Yea, people on the baby names board are super judgy, but I'm actually glad of that because maybe that means there will be fewer Taylences, Kymbirlees, Khrixanhees, Zxavharys and Nykkoles in this world. And yes, those are all actual names I have seen. 
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Ha, I'm in December and also stalk the November group. That's falling apart for sure. 

And I totally agree @lovesclimbing! There should be some in-between of totally hardcore temping ttc and I'm ttc and see what happens for a bit. 

As far as general forum suggestions, if you already have kids, I suggest searching for one based on your interests/parenting styles? For example, a cloth diaper board if you do that, healthy living, geographical area, etc. It would be hard to jump into an already established birth month group, unless you are currently pregnant. 
  • kvruns said:

Totally! Maybe it'll be different when I'm actually pregnant, but I am not a fan of the bump right now, especially the trying to get pregnant board. Unless you are religiously temping and charting and tracking every little thing to try to get pregnant, there's basically no place for you. Almost every new thread that gets posted, the regs tell people it isn't worth its own thread and to go to the weekly Two Week Wait or Waiting to Ovulate or "Benched" threads. Well, what about the thousands of people who get pregnant just by banging it out the old fashioned way? There's literally nowhere for them until they get pregnant. I've thought about just posting a thread for all the ladies doing it the old fashioned way, and I may still, but so far I've decided it's just not worth the hassle. 

There's already a Trouble Trying to Conceive board, and I feel like most of the TTGP board - the atmosphere, the community, the rules, everything -  would be better suited for a trouble board. 

Yea, people on the baby names board are super judgy, but I'm actually glad of that because maybe that means there will be fewer Taylences, Kymbirlees, Khrixanhees, Zxavharys and Nykkoles in this world. And yes, those are all actual names I have seen. 
    This is an interesting perspective! I have lurked that board quite a bit (I'm not TTGP, I actually ended up there to learn more about temping and charting to avoid pregnancy and continued lurking out of curiosity) and I guess it lines up so well with the approach I think I'd want to take that I never considered how "one-track mind" it can come across.

I feel like the assumption is almost like, if you are seeking out an internet forum to discuss TTGP, you probably didn't just start the processes yesterday and will want to benefit from a more aggressive approach to getting the results. I feel like the Babies on the Brain forum might be more suited to a casual approach? 

Honestly I really love that forum just because I'm a type-A person who, once I decide I want to be pregnant, is going to want to arm myself with all the information available to me and to take every step to maximize my chances. It's an interesting thought that maybe the Bump could benefit from having a separate space for more of the "when it happens, it happens" crowd. 
  • kvruns said:

This is an interesting perspective! I have lurked that board quite a bit (I'm not TTGP, I actually ended up there to learn more about temping and charting to avoid pregnancy and continued lurking out of curiosity) and I guess it lines up so well with the approach I think I'd want to take that I never considered how "one-track mind" it can come across.

I feel like the assumption is almost like, if you are seeking out an internet forum to discuss TTGP, you probably didn't just start the processes yesterday and will want to benefit from a more aggressive approach to getting the results. I feel like the Babies on the Brain forum might be more suited to a casual approach? 

Honestly I really love that forum just because I'm a type-A person who, once I decide I want to be pregnant, is going to want to arm myself with all the information available to me and to take every step to maximize my chances. It's an interesting thought that maybe the Bump could benefit from having a separate space for more of the "when it happens, it happens" crowd. 
    I hung out there a little before we started trying. And I thought maybe I would do that, hang out there rather than TTGP, but I kind of feel that the community and atmosphere of BotB is very much not trying yet. Like their monthly check ins are all "how long until you start trying?" "What are you waiting on to start trying?" And many of the threads are about trying to get healthy before TTC, or saving money before and lots of things that make me think "WHY ARE WE TRYING WHEN I HAVEN'T LOST AS MUCH WEIGHT AS I WANTED AND WE HAVEN'T SAVED ENOUGH MONEY?!?!?!"

So I don't feel like that's really the place for it. And because the Bump is so gung-ho about trigger warnings and sensitivity (not necessarily a bad thing!) that I think people may not be happy if someone who is trying to conceive starts posting in an area where people aren't, can't or won't for whatever reason. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    kvruns said:

I hung out there a little before we started trying. And I thought maybe I would do that, hang out there rather than TTGP, but I kind of feel that the community and atmosphere of BotB is very much not trying yet. Like their monthly check ins are all "how long until you start trying?" "What are you waiting on to start trying?" And many of the threads are about trying to get healthy before TTC, or saving money before and lots of things that make me think "WHY ARE WE TRYING WHEN I HAVEN'T LOST AS MUCH WEIGHT AS I WANTED AND WE HAVEN'T SAVED ENOUGH MONEY?!?!?!"

So I don't feel like that's really the place for it. And because the Bump is so gung-ho about trigger warnings and sensitivity (not necessarily a bad thing!) that I think people may not be happy if someone who is trying to conceive starts posting in an area where people aren't, can't or won't for whatever reason. 
    You nailed it with the trigger/sensitivity thing that kept me away. And I get it, I have friends who struggled and had a mc myself but I know if I'm on a board with people talking about TTC those topics are going to be mentioned and it is ok. If I don't think I can handle it I would stay away but that is me
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards