Honeymoon Discussions

Debating Italy Honeymoon

I really love Italy. I've been there once, but it was with family. I want to experience the romance with my soon to be new husband. We don't like beaches all too much. I was thinking Venice. It is expensive though. We would go for 14 days and I've heard staying 14 days in Venice could get boring. I have been to Venice and it is my most favorite city.

We can't decide where to go in Italy. We haven't set a budget yet, but his family paying for it since my family payed for the wedding. 

The four-six places I've been already are Capri, Florence, Rome, and Venice as well as stopping in Pompeii and Vatican City for a day.

My fiance is a history buff so I think he might love it there. We just want to relax and have a romantic, good time.

Where would you recommend for 14 days?

Re: Debating Italy Honeymoon

• TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Can't you travel around to several places, instead of spending 14 days in one city? Like, do Venice for 7 days and Rome for 7 days? Day trips during those weeks?

k thnx bye

• We would do maybe 2-3 cities max because we want to relax and not spend our time traveling. We'd rather explore the city than travel. He wants to go to Paris, but I'm a little hesitant with crime there.

That's why we decided on Italy. Are there any other places close to Venice that are nice?
  • We are doing Italy for our honeymoon.  7 days in Rome and 7 traveling around Sardinia (an Italian island).  We are going to have a car in both places so we can do day trips.  The rail system is also amazing in that area so traveling from city to city is a breeze, and relatively inexpensive.  Northern Italy also has some amazing areas too (Lake Como).  The Tuscany area is breathtaking as well.  

And if you want to do a day or two trip to Paris, check out their local airlines.  They usually have inexpensive fares to and from.  Hope some of this helps and good luck!!
  • OP, you may want to change your user name, as your wedding website and identities are easy to find.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • 14 days in Venice sounds miserable and expensive. And I don't get your Paris concerns- terror can strike anywhere. What if you went to Venice for a few days and then to the Amalfi coast, Naples and Sicilly?
  • My H and I spent 10 days in Italy for our HM. We rented an apartment in Florence. In addition to spending time in Florence, we took a few days trips (Pisa, Lucca, Siena) and some overnights. We took the train to Venice and spent 2 days there. We rented a car and drove to Cinque Terre (Amazing!! This is a must see!). Florence was the perfect spot to have as a "home base". 
  • Paris and Venice could be a great combination: spend your first 7 days in Paris, maybe taking daytrips to Versailles/Giverny or other locations just outside the city.  Then take a short flight or overnight train to Venice and spend 7 days there, and daytrip to other cities in the Veneto if you need to change things up (besides obvious choices like Murano and Burano, Vicenza, Padua and Verona come to mind).  Or break up the city stay with 3-4 days in Venice, and 3-4 days on Lake Garda.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    Honestly, I would recommend a 14 day cruise of the eastern Mediterranean.  You relax on the ship.  Unlimited food is paid for with a few exceptions.  Air conditioning. (You will want this after a day in Italy or Greece!)   Pool.  Bars ($) with live music.   During the day, you go out to the different destinations.  If your FI loves history, he will be crazy about Greece and Turkey.  We were blown away by the Greek ancient ruins and museums.  Parthenon?  Venice?  Dubrovnik?  Ephasus?  Oh, yeah!
    Of course, both Rome and Florence are inland cities, but many cruises start or end from Rome's nearest port, easily reached by train. (Civitavecchia)  Spend an extra day or two at Rome, perhaps?  It will be a lot more expensive than the ship was!
    It is early to book for next year, and you didn't give any dates.  Here are examples of deals for this summer.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23974

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=15583

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=10155

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=26108

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=16819

You should talk to a travel agent who specializes in cruises if this interests you.  Remember, ALL internet travel sites are just travel agencies in disguise.  That being said, I do use one for my frequent travels, but I use a specific agent whom I can talk with and ask questions.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Venice really is phenomenal, but I couldn't imagine 14 days there.  If your FI is a history buff, he'd love Rome (my H did). 
    It'd be a few hours south on the train, but anywhere along the Amalfi coast would be very relaxing and romantic. 
    We went to Italy on our honeymoon and we thoroughly enjoyed- we are planning to go back for our 25th anniversary - wishing you a wonderful trip!
  • Almafi Coast and Lake Como for the romance, Rome and Florence for the history. Get Rick Steve's book on Italy and DVD / DVR / On-Demand his Italy episodes. 

We did 8 days in Lake Como and loved it; did a day trip into St. Moritz, Switzerland too. 

• We decided on Tuscany by the way! Thanks for the help everyone!
  • I think Tuscany is a good decision. We did 10 days in Italy for our honeymoon and visited Venice, Florence, Siena, Naples and Rome (in that order). We were traveling quite a bit, which it sounds like you don't want to do, but Florence was the favorite for both of us. There's much more to do in Tuscany than Venice, too. We spent one night/two days in Venice and we walked the whole town, so 14 days would probably be too many.

We heard amazing things about Cinque Terre but unfortunately couldn't work it into our schedule. We did make a day trip to Capri and it was beautiful and got us our beach/water fix.
  • I've already been to Capri and Florence, but my fiance hasn't. We shall see our schedule and decide where to go in the next few months!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards