Getting in Shape

Planet Fitness

Does anyone go to this gym? I searched and the last time this was discussed was 2012 so a lot has changed.

I am not looking for equipment, I'm looking for the group classes they have.  I love my local crossfit place, and am thinking of signing up with them but it's per contract with a minimum of 1 year and $129.  With PF, it's $10/month (I dont think I'll need the $20/month membership) no contract.

I should also add, my employment is not 100% secure (our company is up for sale)

Re: Planet Fitness

• I go, but I don't do their group classes. I'm on a hiatus from CrossFit (knee surgery in December) so until I'm totally cleared I joined PF. My location is open 24/7 and has rooms for 12 min abs and a 30 min workout for days I don't know what to do. The other pros are that its cheap (I do the $20/ month so H can go with me with the unlimited guest pass, and I can use any location) and there is always equipment available.

The cons are that there aren't free weights and from what I understand the group classes tend more toward how to use the machines/designing workouts to do on your own than actual group fitness classes, although that might just be my location. Also if you're looking for coaches or staff to help there doesn't tend to be a lot of that, the only time I see staff on the floor is when they're cleaning. Hope that helps, happy to answer more specific questions. 
  • If you have a crossfit place that you love that offers the classes you like - Go there because you'll actually show up!  PF is a poor excuse of a "gym" because once you start to show results they kick you out.  They hook you in on the $10/mo but the reality is they aren't looking out for your fitness goals.

Since you posted Chicagoburbs for a location - check out Jakked Gym, some lifting friends of mine run it and if you want results, they'll help you get there, they also know the "who's who" of gyms in the area so may know of someone closer to your geographical location or even a better fit (Monster Garage Gym is there, the place where the Lillibridge family trains though not sure of the name is near Chicago... Heck, if I could train with them in the gym - I'd be there in a heartbeat!)..  They're also "the local guy" when you first walk in, realize that these are the types of people who will help you get the results you want and is more of a family than just a gym. 

• MesmrEwe said:

If you have a crossfit place that you love that offers the classes you like - Go there because you'll actually show up!  PF is a poor excuse of a "gym" because once you start to show results they kick you out.  They hook you in on the $10/mo but the reality is they aren't looking out for your fitness goals.

Since you posted Chicagoburbs for a location - check out Jakked Gym, some lifting friends of mine run it and if you want results, they'll help you get there, they also know the "who's who" of gyms in the area so may know of someone closer to your geographical location or even a better fit (Monster Garage Gym is there, the place where the Lillibridge family trains though not sure of the name is near Chicago... Heck, if I could train with them in the gym - I'd be there in a heartbeat!)..  They're also "the local guy" when you first walk in, realize that these are the types of people who will help you get the results you want and is more of a family than just a gym. 

@MesmrEwe Can you explain this? I go to a PF and work out independently (take classes somewhere else). I've seen results from my workout routine and it still costs $10 / month and I get to use all the equipment and attend whatever I want. No, I don't talk to their trainers (do they even have trainers?), but it's a bunch of equipment in a room that costs $10. I don't think it markets itself any differently. 
  • interesting....I love the price for Jakked, @MesmrEwe, but it's to far for me.  My Personal trainer works at my local cross-fit place and he's awesome - however, known to move around a lot.  Hence, not really wanting to lock into such a long term commitment at such a hefty price. 

• MesmrEwe said:

If you have a crossfit place that you love that offers the classes you like - Go there because you'll actually show up!  PF is a poor excuse of a "gym" because once you start to show results they kick you out.  They hook you in on the $10/mo but the reality is they aren't looking out for your fitness goals.

@MesmrEwe Can you explain this? I go to a PF and work out independently (take classes somewhere else). I've seen results from my workout routine and it still costs $10 / month and I get to use all the equipment and attend whatever I want. No, I don't talk to their trainers (do they even have trainers?), but it's a bunch of equipment in a room that costs $10. I don't think it markets itself any differently. 

I have no fewer than 20 lifting friends who have been kicked out of there - none are what I'd term as "Lunks" or whatever they call it when they're a bunch of judgmental jerks (a few only got the membership for the cardio equipment and got kicked out because they were "intimidating others because of going too fast"..  Does a place that serves pizza and tootsie rolls REALLY have your fitness goals at heart - just say'n. 
  • interesting....I love the price for Jakked, @MesmrEwe, but it's to far for me.  My Personal trainer works at my local cross-fit place and he's awesome - however, known to move around a lot.  Hence, not really wanting to lock into such a long term commitment at such a hefty price. 

Stop in or call and talk to Byron or Tami - they will know someplace closer to you that'll fit your budget...  I'm just more apt to suggest a locally owned gym that isn't part of a chain because you're dealing with a small business who has your success at heart. 
  • Thanks! For right now,  I got a punch card at the local cross fit to a) see if I'm really going to keep up with it b) hold off on the sale of our company to see where I'm at employment wise.   

• MesmrEwe said:
    MesmrEwe said:

I have no fewer than 20 lifting friends who have been kicked out of there - none are what I'd term as "Lunks" or whatever they call it when they're a bunch of judgmental jerks (a few only got the membership for the cardio equipment and got kicked out because they were "intimidating others because of going too fast"..  Does a place that serves pizza and tootsie rolls REALLY have your fitness goals at heart - just say'n. 
    That's ridiculous. I can't believe that would actually kick someone out because of that. 

I joined bc of the cardio machines and needing to do rehab on my knee somewhere cheap. I hate that they have smith machines instead of free weights. 
  • I'm a little late to the party here, but the PF by me doesn't even do classes. I found classes at my local rec center to be the cheapest. And the class size is smaller, which I like better. They also offer a variety of things: yoga, zumba, strength training, boot camps, WERQ (my favorite).
  • I'm a little late to the party here, but the PF by me doesn't even do classes. I found classes at my local rec center to be the cheapest. And the class size is smaller, which I like better. They also offer a variety of things: yoga, zumba, strength training, boot camps, WERQ (my favorite).
    Same here. I love my local PF but they don't offer classes of any kind.
  • when I toured PF, it looked upgraded and had a lot of good stuff.  I then read about the remodel so maybe only some places offer classes because of room?  right now Im deciding between orange theory and a local boot camp.  Both have no contract, and it's $20/month difference.  I could get a friend to go to orange theory with me.

Let's change this question to what people think of orange theory? :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards