Wedding Reception Forum

Encouraging Dancing at a Small Wedding

My fiancee and I have recently been considering having little wedding, just parents, siblings, and grandparents, all in maybe 20 people.  One of the things that's really holding me back from this idea (which I like in all other aspects) is that I love dancing at weddings and really want to dance at my own, but I don't want to be the only people up there.  Did anyone have this problem at their own wedding? Or just advice to get people dancing in general?

Re: Encouraging Dancing at a Small Wedding

• My fiancee and I have recently been considering having little wedding, just parents, siblings, and grandparents, all in maybe 20 people.  One of the things that's really holding me back from this idea (which I like in all other aspects) is that I love dancing at weddings and really want to dance at my own, but I don't want to be the only people up there.  Did anyone have this problem at their own wedding? Or just advice to get people dancing in general?
    Are these people big dancers as well? If so you probably won't have a problem, however if they are not into dancing there's not much you can do to encourage people out there. 

So much of this depends on your crowd; my sister and I can (and often do) have dance parties on our own. Throw in our SILs and we can dance for hours without a care in the world. But my H has to be cajoled to get on the dance floor. The bigger the crowd, the more likely it is you'll have a lot of people into dancing if your small group isn't big on it. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    In addition to what @charlotte989875 said above, two other things you need to get people dancing are a good dancing space (enough room, good surface) and good music.

If the music is all elevator music or some other type that's not danceable, or is all one type (all slow or all fast), or you don't have good equipment or acoustics or someone to play it for you, then people aren't going to want to dance.
  • This is really a know your crowd type thing.     I'm not much of a dancer.   I pretty much only dance when buzzed and there is a shit ton people around.  My mom use to love to dance, but has RA so bad she is unable.  My dad doesn't dance really at all.   My BIL doesn't dance either.  With such a small group it's doubtful you would be able to encourage me to dance if they situation is like my family.  I would rather hang with my parents and BIL than be on the dance floor.

That said, my niece will dancing in the aisle of a supermarket if the right songs comes on.  My sister and 2 SILs love to dance.  I'm sure they would not have any problem being out on the dance floor.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Definitely need to know your crowd for this one. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Booze, good music, and a crowd that already loves to dance. That's pretty much it.

A good DJ goes a long way. I've never had a good experience dancing when people try to get by cheap with an iPod or asking their uncle/friend/coworker who maybe used to do it on the side.  If you're not willing to invest in that or your crowd isn't into dancing, I'd recommend finding a bar or club those of you who are into dancing can go to for an after-party instead.  With such a small guestlist, that is probably your best bet. I'm sure lots of happy club-goers would love to dance it up with newlyweds decked out in their wedding clothes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards