Attire & Accessories Forum

Does anyone regret how much they spent on a dress?

Hi, I am pretty new here..FI and I are tying the knot next April in Georgia. I purchased a dress recently and I'm second guessing it (mainly because I don't think I will have front support for the girls even when it comes in in my size). I'll lose the money for the deposit and I'm thinking is it really worth it to get another dress? Technically it is only 8 hours that I'll be wearing it. I'm having trouble spending more money on another one but I really dont want to hate the one I'm in all day (and constantly adjusting). I'm not sure if I should just take my chances and deal with it or cough up the extra $$. Anyone else feel this way?

Re: Does anyone regret how much they spent on a dress?

• Get cups sewn in or wear a corset underneath like I'm doing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sherbie25 said:
    Get cups sewn in or wear a corset underneath like I'm doing.
    Second that. Corsets aren't cheap, but you can wear them again or resell them.
  • Usually, depending on the dress of course, but usually when you get a dress altered to fit correctly you will not have any issues with support. My friend owns a bridal salon and I help out every weekend. Her store carries larger sample sizes (only sample sizes 16 and up) and we have a lot of large chested brides that buy strapless dresses that have no problem with their dress staying up after it is altered properly.
  • A good seamstress can do wonders for a dress that is not fitting properly. Cups can be sewn in, a corset back tie up can be added, straps for support can be added. If you love the dress, take a picture to someone (or a few) local seamstresses and get some opinions.
  • I tried my dress on in the shop when it came in. It's strapless and they had to order a size up because my girls were too big for the size that fit me in the waist/hips area. I was worried about a strapless dress anyway because I didn't want to be pulling it up all night either. She said that by the time they're done with all of the alterations, the dress will be fitted to the point where it moves with me. So I turn from side to side and the top with stay with my chest. If you wiggle back and forth and the dress doesn't move but you do, that's a problem. Just make sure before you leave with your fully altered dress that they have taken it in to the point where it's fitted enough to move with you. 
  • cowgirl8238cowgirl8238 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2016

I had a wonderful seamstress and when I got my gown altered.  She took a long line bra that I had and added two little snaps to it.  Then she sewed the matching end into the wedding gown so that my gown was attached to the top of my bra.  Between that and the alterations my dress didn't move an inch the whole time...not even when I was dancing around with my arms over my head at the reception! 

-My gown was strapless, very heavy in the bottom, and I'm a 38H cup size!

If you are feeling dress regret in general, like you picked the wrong one, stop looking at gowns.  Wait for yours to come in and put it on again...that usually fixes that feeling :)

edit to add sizing info

• thanks for the ideas everyone!

@cowgirl8238
    thanks so much! I am a 34H so it is awesome to hear you got something to work for you :)
  • thanks for the ideas everyone!

@cowgirl8238
    thanks so much! I am a 34H so it is awesome to hear you got something to work for you :)

Its never fun trying to support the girls in a strapless gown.  Luckily I have been able to re-use my long line with snaps in another friends wedding that I was BM in
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards