Attire & Accessories Forum

Undergarments

I'm going to be having my first fitting in a couple weeks and have no idea what I should be getting for undergarments (bra/etc.).  I'm a bigger busted girl so need some support.  My dress is strapless with a corset back.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Undergarments

• Can you post a picture of the dress? That can be helpful if we can see how low the front and back are.
  • yes! sorry I totally meant to do that.
  • That is a gorgeous dress. I would talk to the seamstress about having cups sewn in and probably stays.
  • edited July 2016

This is pricey, but it worked for my dress:

Le Mystere "Bridal Seduction" (shudder), style #2355 - $125 USD

(I tried copying a link from Bloomingdales.com but mangled it twice.)

It comes in a beige color, in a ton of sizes, and cuts low enough that it doesn't give you horrendous muffin top (if you might suffer from that like I do). Also, if it doesn't work out, return shipping is free.

I hope this helps!

• I would talk to your seamstress. If it has strong boning, you may not want a corset after its properly fitted and sewn in cups or a regular strapless might be sufficient. If there isn't coming (id be really surprised if that was the case) then you might want a corset sewn in or underneath. 
  • My dress was spaghetti strap with a corset back (the straps didn't really do much to hold it up so it was basically like wearing strapless). I wore a long line bra that I bought at David's. They had a few different styles I was able to try on and found one that fit my shape pretty well.

A friend of mine passed along a tip from her seamstress that, because there are so many hooks, you don't have to wear them all on the same row. I was able to put some on the loosest hook and some on the middle one to help it fit my shape more closely. Just something to try if you go that route.
  • A LOT really depends on what you mean by the term "bigger busted" - Sewn in cups only work well up to a certain size cup (do the pencil test - if you can put a pencil under your breast and it stays there, you probably will be most comfortable wearing a strapless in addition to the boning in the dress).  I've got FF's and even most strapless long-lines only can do so much (most last just long enough for the fittings and the wear before the boning gives out)...  IF you can swing for a strapless with metal boning - they last shy of forever, however they're pricier.  Depending on your size, David's is good for strapless long-line bras, Nordstrom's, VS, etc.  Also, don't go by your typical number as your waistline has a lot to do with what size you ultimately end up with for a long-line...
  • MesmrEwe said:
    A LOT really depends on what you mean by the term "bigger busted" - Sewn in cups only work well up to a certain size cup (do the pencil test - if you can put a pencil under your breast and it stays there, you probably will be most comfortable wearing a strapless in addition to the boning in the dress).  I've got FF's and even most strapless long-lines only can do so much (most last just long enough for the fittings and the wear before the boning gives out)...  IF you can swing for a strapless with metal boning - they last shy of forever, however they're pricier.  Depending on your size, David's is good for strapless long-line bras, Nordstrom's, VS, etc.  Also, don't go by your typical number as your waistline has a lot to do with what size you ultimately end up with for a long-line...

So much this...I am a fellow busty woman.  I ended up with a decent long line which combined with a well fitted dress helped keep the girls up all day.  One thing my seamstress did was sew two snaps onto the bra that clipped to the inside of the dress...it made everything more one-piece and prevented the dreaded "slip and pull" game I usually end up playing all night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards