Honeymoon Discussions

Italy or Greece

We are trying to decide where to go Italy or Greece or both we will be there for two weeks. We don't care for beaches. If we decide to do both we would  go to Venice, Florence, Rome, Mykonos, Santorini, Athens. We are trying to decide now whether to get married in Florence at the Villa la Vedetta  or la maltese estate villa in  santorini

Re: Italy or Greece

• Personally, I would do both.

If you are wanting to get married in one of these foreign countries, make sure you are well aware of the process and restrictions for doing so.

• BOTH. 

Have fun :) 

• I have been lucky to travel quite a bit in my life, and I have seen each of the cities you mentiond.  Santorini is far and away the most jaw-droppingly gorgeous place I have ever seen.  It really is just like stepping into a postcard.

I don't know that I would choose to spend a ton of time there, though.  Personally I would say two or three days would be enough.  It is a stunningly beautiful place to visit but there isn't all that much to actually *do* beyond charming touristy shops and restaurants.  If you aren't much into beaches, maybe skip 
    Mykonos.  In my personal opinion, it was pretty much a somewhat less pretty but more beachy version of Santorini.

If I were planning a trip for myself, I would focus on fewer places so you can be in each city for longer.  I completely understand the inclination to see EVERYTHING, but if you try to hit all these places in two weeks you will barely get to experience each one and you will spend all your time traveling.

Here is how I would do it if it were my trip, attempting to strike a balance between breadth and depth:
    -
    Santorini for two days (wedding day and the day after)
    -Venice for two days.  (It is unique and very cool, but also very expensive and touristy.)
    -Florence for 4 days, including a day meandering through rural Tuscany on your way to Rome
    -6 days in Rome
  • I just got back from my honeymoon. We did 3 nights in Mykonos, 5 in Santorini, and 2 in Athens.

Mykonos is the party island, so if you're into bars and clubbing it is the place to go. But during the day we were pretty much at the beach or pool. It was pretty, but if that's not your thing then skip it.

Santorini is is absolutely amazing! We were there 4 1/2 days. We had a Catamaran tour on one day that took us on a boat around the island and we got to jump off the boat and swim in a few places. We also went on a wine and food tour so that's definitely something to look into. Santorini makes some good wines! You can't beat the views there! We had a view of the sunset during dinner every night we were there. Highly recommend!!! We didn't get married there but we saw ads for places that will handle destination weddings. We actually ran into a couple who was there to attend a wedding.
    Even if the beach isn't your thing I would still go, just find a hotel with a pool instead! Also, most of the beaches are organized so the beach is actually owned by a restaurant and you can rent a pair of chairs and an umbrella and have the option to order food and drinks right to your chairs. And the water is so calm and clear. You won't have to fight the waves like you would at every beach in the US I've been to.

Athens you really only need a day or two. We spent our first day there visiting the Acropolis and the New Acropolis Museum. The second day was the last day of our honeymoon so we bummed around a bit and did a little shopping. You really don't need more than two full days.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    We are trying to decide where to go Italy or Greece or both we will be there for two weeks. We don't care for beaches. If we decide to do both we would  go to Venice, Florence, Rome, Mykonos, Santorini, Athens. We are trying to decide now whether to get married in Florence at the Villa la Vedetta  or la maltese estate villa in  santorini
    Have you checked into the marriage requirements in Italy and Greece?  It is not easy.

http://italy.usembassy.gov/acs/marriage/general-marriage.html

https://www.angloinfo.com/athens/how-to/page/athens-family-marriage-partnerships-marriage-requirements

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I looked into Greece and it's not that hard at all.  Just just need all the normal documents (that you would need anywhere) translated and notorised (sp?) and a couple days residency. Then after your wedding you pick up your certificate in the local town hall.

There are packages that include all this even down to driving you to the town hall afterwards for like $1000?
  • I would go for Santorini for the views but Italy if you want more privacy.  
  • I looked into Greece and it's not that hard at all.  Just just need all the normal documents (that you would need anywhere) translated and notorised (sp?) and a couple days residency. Then after your wedding you pick up your certificate in the local town hall.

There are packages that include all this even down to driving you to the town hall afterwards for like $1000?
    There is also the requirement that you publish - in Greek - newspaper notices of your intent to marry.  I would definitely go with a professional co-ordinator to do a wedding in Greece or Italy!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • There is also the requirement that you publish two separate marriage notices (in Greek) in the local newspaper, eight days before the wedding.  You need to bring these to the courthouse.
    I would definitely use a professional wedding coordinator for a wedding in either Greece or Italy.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards