Destination Weddings Discussions

HELP! Jamaica or Costa Rica

Please advise! I am so happy I found this message board. I have been stressing out over a destination location. I've considered a resort in Costa Rica for my wedding next June 2017 but I have just discovered that rainy season starts May 1 and some of my guests have never traveled or seen the ocean and I don't want their first vacation to be ruined by bad weather. So I considered Jamaica but it seems that everyone is complaining about Jamaican resorts providing bad service. I don't know where to go. Any information you have about either location will be appreciated. I have to pick a location and resort as soon as possible. Thank so much!

Re: HELP! Jamaica or Costa Rica

• It will be rainy season in some parts of CR, but not all of them. What resort were you looking at there?

Are you trying to get married at an all-inclusive? Is it adults-only? What type of budget are you working with for your wedding and what type of budget for your guests? One nice thing about Jamaica is that it typically has some of the best priced options for travel packages. So, it should be less expensive to travel there. Most of the higher end all inclusives will have good service, like Secrets, Couples, or Iberostar. Negril has the nicest beach, so if that is important, that is something to think about (though the beaches in CR are not that great, so it might not be a priority for you.) That being said, without knowing exactly what you're looking for, it's hard to give really good recommendations.

• Thanks for responding. Yes I am looking for all-inclusive. There will be 4 kids with us between the ages of 9-17. We are coming from St. Louis and wanting to keep our guest budget around $1500 or less. Our wedding budget is flexible, we were initially planning a wedding in our home state and the cost was around $13,000. I am looking for a place that my family and friends can have a good time and experience. Some of them like to party hard (so good drinks will be great, I've read that the RIU Resorts water down their alcohol). I want them to experience zip lining, relaxing on the beach, jet skiing, etc. Yes, my wedding ceremony is important to me but more than that, my fiancé's family building memories and getting to know my family is most important. 
  • I'd check out the Hilton, Hyatt Ziva, Azul, Moon Palace, or Jewel Dunn's River. all of my suggestions above are adults only.

Are you working with a travel agent? If so, they can (and should) assist you with picking out the right location. If you aren't working with one, and your guests aren't well traveled, I would consider contacting someone. It will be

• What about Aruba?  It seldom rains there and they have many resorts.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards