Chit Chat
Options

Breast Reduction Surgery

Disclaimer:  I am not seeking medical advice on an online forum

Just curious if anyone here has had the surgery and what their experience was like and if insurance helped at all.  

I've talked about doing this for a good decade now and have hit a breaking point.  I think the indents from my bra straps are probably permanent by now and I have been in immense pain for the past 2 weeks since  FI hasn't been here to rub the knots out for me.  I guess I didn't realize (or forgot) how crucial that was for my long term comfort and weekly massage or chiropractor visits aren't in the budget, nor should they be necessary for someone to comfortably live due to the size of an anatomically unimportant body part.  The pain has interrupted my sleep and on really bad days makes driving  difficult because it hurts to turn my head.

Re: Breast Reduction Surgery

• Options
    I have not, but I have had several friends who have and they have never been happier. Most of them had it in their mid-late 20s and went on to have children. I know one of them successfully breastfed her babies. 

I have not known anyone who regretted having the surgery. All of the girls I knew were having physical pain and were over a DD. They had very little scarring (I know, I've seen the results. They were very proud of their new boobs).

If you find a good surgeon, go for it. 
  • Options
    My sister did.   She had young kids at the time and flew me up to help her out.  

She lived 2 hours from the hospital so we had to spend the night at a hotel so they could follow up the next day.  As soon as we got to the hotel (a few hours after the surgery) she said it was the first time her back and shoulders didn't hurt.   She wasn't even that drugged up, but noticed the weight of her boobs gone.   

Her only regret was not getting it done years sooner.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment

I had it done about 15 years ago. Greatest thing ever. I had to stay in the hospital overnight due to anesthesia issues but never had any issues with the breast reduction itself. I also don't have the strap indentations or aching back anymore. I did have some scarring but that is because I keloid easily. However, I got some injections from the dermatologist that took out the redness and it's all good. Granted, surgery has come a long way since then.

As for insurance, mine was covered. My PCP did have to write a letter but insurance didn't really push back.

Funny story, when my mom was driving me home the next day she said I got in the car all drugged up, looked down and said, "I look like a boy!" Apparently she told me to shut the hell up because even with the reduction my boobs were still bigger than hers.

• Options
    fyrchk said:

I had it done about 15 years ago. Greatest thing ever. I had to stay in the hospital overnight due to anesthesia issues but never had any issues with the breast reduction itself. I also don't have the strap indentations or aching back anymore. I did have some scarring but that is because I keloid easily. However, I got some injections from the dermatologist that took out the redness and it's all good. Granted, surgery has come a long way since then.

As for insurance, mine was covered. My PCP did have to write a letter but insurance didn't really push back.

Funny story, when my mom was driving me home the next day she said I got in the car all drugged up, looked down and said, "I look like a boy!" Apparently she told me to shut the hell up because even with the reduction my boobs were still bigger than hers.

Now I'm not lacking in the boob department (DD), but my sister is an F after the surgery.   She is also 8 inches shorter and has chicken legs.  I swear she looks like she is going to top over.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    fyrchk said:

Now I'm not lacking in the boob department (DD), but my sister is an F after the surgery.   She is also 8 inches shorter and has chicken legs.  I swear she looks like she is going to top over.
    Holy shit your poor sister!  I'm a G before, I can't even imagine. 

I do worry that I'd miss having big boobs, but then I remind myself that a D isn't small.

I have an OBGYN appointment next month and plan on bringing it up while I'm there.
  • Options
    fyrchk said:

I also don't have the strap indentations or aching back anymore.

In my dreams this is what heaven looks like.  Plus mall bras that fit. 
  • Options
    All I can think about is that episode where Roseanne gets a reduction and has a dream where they made them bigger instead.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Two of my friends have had breast reductions, and as @lyndausvi said, both of them only regret waiting so long.  The one that I'm closer to had her doctor documenting her pain due to her large chest for years in order for insurance to cover the surgery.  The other friend is a casual acquaintance, I'm not sure about her insurance/payment scenario.
  • Options

I know 2 people who had the reductions done.  Both times their chronic back pain was well documented so that insurance covered both surgeries.  Assuming your back pain has been linked to your large breasts, your typical insurance coverage for a surgery should apply.  If your back pain hasn't been documented too well, you may need to wait a bit longer to have the surgery covered.  But it all depends on your insurance and what they would want in order to have it covered.

Both women were very happy to have it done and offered instant relief to their back issues.

• Options

fyrchk said:

I also don't have the strap indentations or aching back anymore.

In my dreams this is what heaven looks like.  Plus mall bras that fit. 

Oh this is my vision of heaven, too. I would LOVE to have a breast reduction. The bra strap indentions and back/neck pain make life miserable most of the time. The knots in my shoulders are visible. Bras are not cute and usually have to be ordered. It's nice to read all these stories and see that there is hope :)

• Options
    Just talking about it here gave me hope and confidence that this isn't a crazy idea.  I called insurance and it sounds like it can easily be approved for 100% coverage. There are 7 criteria and I easily fit 6.  
  • Options
    A former roommate of mine had it done and she was absolutely thrilled with the result. (I saw--they looked nice!)  Her insurance covered everything.

I've considered it for years myself, but I'm a wuss and surgery is scary.  I've never had stitches or a broken bone or anything (which is remarkable, since I was a super active kid.)  I would love to be able to wear shirts that button, find bras in a normal store (maybe even ones that have matching panties!), and most of all not hurt literally all day every day.  It's definitely not a crazy idea.
  • Options
    I have not, but my previous boss had a few. Like, multiples, because her boobs kept coming back (??). On her last one she had to take quite a while off work, I think it was 4-6 weeks? And we were in an office, so not heavy lifting and what not. She suffered from bad neck and back pain and said after the surgery (and like one good massage afterwards) it was 100x better.
  • Options
    I had it 8 years ago.  It was done to make my left breast match my right reconstructed breast (mastectomy).
    I had no problems with it.  There is some nerve damage, and it isn't as sensitive as it used to be, but it still has feeling.  DH loves it.  The only scars were around the auriola area. and they faded over time.  It is a C cup now.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

I've looked after women post breast reduction and almost everyone has commented about the significant reduction in back and shoulder pain. I had one lady decide she wasn't happy with her original reduction and come back for a redo. She wanted to go even smaller.

Surgery is always risky, but if you go with a good surgeon, ensure that you are in the best physical condition possible for you and have realistic expectations, I think you could like the results.

• Options

I had a friend who got one done when she was only 19.  Even that young, she was already having terrible back pain.

Caveat, this was almost 20 years ago when she had the surgery, I've heard the recovery is much better now.  She said she has never regretted it for a moment, but her recovery was TOUGH.  She was on bed rest for the first two weeks and very limited movement (no driving or going back to work or school) for 4 more weeks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I had a friend who got one done when she was only 19.  Even that young, she was already having terrible back pain.

Caveat, this was almost 20 years ago when she had the surgery, I've heard the recovery is much better now.  She said she has never regretted it for a moment, but her recovery was TOUGH.  She was on bed rest for the first two weeks and very limited movement (no driving or going back to work or school) for 4 more weeks.

Oh damn, that's rough!  

I have an appointment Aug 4 to discuss it with my doctor. Im really hoping my insurance doesn't have a BMI caveat. I get the idea behind it, for some women, but my boobs have been the same size from when my pant size ranged from an 8 to a 14.  Losing weigh will not lessen the load of the approximate 6 lbs of dense tissue on my chest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards