Chit Chat

work welcome breakfast

A new boss is coming to our department, and we'd like to do a small welcome breakfast for her.  What are your go-to contributions for a party at breakfast?  Extra points if it is something light and easy to make!

Re: work welcome breakfast

• I'm a muffin person, so I'd probably bake muffins.  That's not super easy though (if they're from scratch)

Fruit salad?  
    Biscuits?  (Mmmm... biscuits)

SaveSave
  • Well now I want biscuits... Thanks, monkeysip!

I agree with the above ideas - you definitely want to keep it easy.

Scones are also pretty easy - King Arthur Flour makes some super yummy mixes.

Pillsbury Cinnamon Buns From A Tube are super easy. Plus frosting.

Another option which always goes over well is getting a variety of bagels & some cream cheese.
  • I am all about mini quiches for something like this.  They are so incredibly simple to make--you just pick the ingredients you want, sauté, sprinkle in a mini muffin tin, add eggs beaten with milk/salt/pepper/any spices you prefer, and bake.  They can be served cold or warmed back up in the microwave.  I don't think most people have any idea how easy they are, so everyone is always super impressed as though they required some sort of massive culinary skill and intensive labor to pull off.  Nope!  Max 10 minutes prep and half an hour to cook.  Plus if this is a potluck situation it's always nice to have a savory option since the majority of simple to deal with breakfast foods are sweet.

Here's the general recipe I use, pretty much just for egg-to-milk ratio and cooking times.  I add whatever meats and veggies I feel like.  
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/mini-spinach-and-mushroom-quiche-recipe.html
  • Coffee cake. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmmm.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Well now I want biscuits... Thanks, monkeysip!

Right?  Now I'm so mad at myself for not buying any biscuit dough from the grocery store yesterday (I know they can be made from scratch, but ain't nobody got time for that).

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:
    Well now I want biscuits... Thanks, monkeysip!

Right?  Now I'm so mad at myself for not buying any biscuit dough from the grocery store yesterday (I know they can be made from scratch, but ain't nobody got time for that).
    I don't do it often, but homemade is soooo much better, and not as hard as I thought it's be.  It's worth a try someday:)
  • Alright, now you've inspired me!

SaveSave
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree about including a savoury option. There are also some fairly easy baked egg caseroles you can make. 

You could even boil a cartoon of eggs and bring those.

Sliced meat. Fruit. Yogurt (with or withput granola). Muffins. Cinnamon buns. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Krusteaz Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake (box mix). Seriously is it amazing, super easy to make and everyone thinks it is home made from scratch. 
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I am all about mini quiches for something like this.  They are so incredibly simple to make--you just pick the ingredients you want, sauté, sprinkle in a mini muffin tin, add eggs beaten with milk/salt/pepper/any spices you prefer, and bake.  They can be served cold or warmed back up in the microwave.  I don't think most people have any idea how easy they are, so everyone is always super impressed as though they required some sort of massive culinary skill and intensive labor to pull off.  Nope!  Max 10 minutes prep and half an hour to cook.  Plus if this is a potluck situation it's always nice to have a savory option since the majority of simple to deal with breakfast foods are sweet.

Here's the general recipe I use, pretty much just for egg-to-milk ratio and cooking times.  I add whatever meats and veggies I feel like.  
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/mini-spinach-and-mushroom-quiche-recipe.html

That recipe seems to be for a regular sized muffin tin.  You had success making them mini?
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Hardboiled eggs always seem to go over well at our breakfasts. People seem to grab a carby item (bagels, muffin, coffee cake, etc) and then something lighter. Sometimes I'm super lazy and buy the cooked and peeled ones. 
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Oh and if you forget what day it is and need to grab something on your way in...McDonalds hash browns will be a big hit. Personal experience and all..
  • kaos16 said:
    I am all about mini quiches for something like this.  They are so incredibly simple to make--you just pick the ingredients you want, sauté, sprinkle in a mini muffin tin, add eggs beaten with milk/salt/pepper/any spices you prefer, and bake.  They can be served cold or warmed back up in the microwave.  I don't think most people have any idea how easy they are, so everyone is always super impressed as though they required some sort of massive culinary skill and intensive labor to pull off.  Nope!  Max 10 minutes prep and half an hour to cook.  Plus if this is a potluck situation it's always nice to have a savory option since the majority of simple to deal with breakfast foods are sweet.

Here's the general recipe I use, pretty much just for egg-to-milk ratio and cooking times.  I add whatever meats and veggies I feel like.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/mini-spinach-and-mushroom-quiche-recipe.html

That recipe seems to be for a regular sized muffin tin.  You had success making them mini?
    Yep!  No issues whatsoever.  They are supremely adaptable.  I think the ones I made were about an inch and a half wide across the top.
  • ei34ei34 member
    Another savory idea - easy but not light!  It's one of my favorite make-ahead brunch meals, and it's a real crowd-pleaser:
    http://sabbyinsuburbia.blogspot.com/2011/05/english-muffin-ham-breakfast-strata.html
    I usually assemble it the night before and pop it into the oven morning of...if you wrap it tightly in foil right out of the oven it'll keep warm for a couple of hours.

• ei34ei34 member
    kvruns said:
    Krusteaz Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake (box mix). Seriously is it amazing, super easy to make and everyone thinks it is home made from scratch. 
    Good to know!  Trader Joe's makes an insane crumb cake box mix too...and yes I've taken credit for making it from scratch :D
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    eileenrob said:
    Another savory idea - easy but not light!  It's one of my favorite make-ahead brunch meals, and it's a real crowd-pleaser:
    http://sabbyinsuburbia.blogspot.com/2011/05/english-muffin-ham-breakfast-strata.html
    I usually assemble it the night before and pop it into the oven morning of...if you wrap it tightly in foil right out of the oven it'll keep warm for a couple of hours.

OMG that looks amazing!!
  • I usually bring a platter of sliced deli meats, cheeses and tomatoes. It is very European but goes over very well. It can be made the night before, covered with plastic wrap and then grabbed in the morning. I've done a baked egg dish that I made right before coming and in my transporter quilted thing, it was still nice and hot when I arrived. I most recently made these granola bowls (literally make a granola recipe and press into sides of muffin tin to bake and then come out as bowls) and brought a few flavours of yogurt and toppings to put inside the bowls.

I've seen bacon wrapped dates ... made ahead and delicious.

Muffins are always good.

• A baker's dozen from Panera with assorted cream cheeses and coffee goes an extremely long way around these parts! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • kvrunskvruns member

In general, I don't eat sugary items.  And I especially hate them for breakfast.  SO many breakfasts I have been to (coffeehouses, work, hotels) where the only option is muffins and danishes.  To me, those are more dessert items and I definitely don't want dessert for breakfast.

you take that back 
  • Shout out to all the PPs who suggested at least one savory item (mini quiches, egg bakes, bagels/cream cheese, bfast sandwiches, deli meats, etc.).

In general, I don't eat sugary items.  And I especially hate them for breakfast.  SO many breakfasts I have been to (coffeehouses, work, hotels) where the only option is muffins and danishes.  To me, those are more dessert items and I definitely don't want dessert for breakfast.

This offends me. I think breakfast is the best time for dessert :)

• kvrunskvruns member
    emmaaa said:

Shout out to all the PPs who suggested at least one savory item (mini quiches, egg bakes, bagels/cream cheese, bfast sandwiches, deli meats, etc.).

I have this shirt

• kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:

Shout out to all the PPs who suggested at least one savory item (mini quiches, egg bakes, bagels/cream cheese, bfast sandwiches, deli meats, etc.).

I have this shirt

Mea culpa to the dessert lovers out there, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:

I have this shirt

I love it. But I have to admit, I eat ice cream or cake for breakfast even when I'm not pregnant. 

• kvrunskvruns member
    @emmaaa me too :) I love it when we have leftover cupcakes at work and I get one for breakfast
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards