Wedding 911
Options

Best Friend Died

My best friend of 15 years was diagnosed with cancer less than a month ago and passed away this week. It was quick, shocking, and brutal. Life is a nightmare, and has been the past month. I’m getting married in two weeks, and though I don’t care about it right now, too many things are in motion, it will still have to happen and I think she would be upset if it didn’t. My question: how do I still make her a part of my wedding? A lit candle seems underwhelming. Is it crass to ask for donations to her baby's college fund instead of gifts? Probably. I don’t know what to do. Nothing will make her be there, but I want to think of her and I want others to think of her and know what a huge part of my (our actually, my fiance loves her too) life she is. I'm not really sure how I'll make it through the day, but maybe I'll go into robotic auto-pilot. I thought some people might have an idea I can’t. I'm sorry, this is an enormously depressing post. 

Re: Best Friend Died

• Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. It would be wholly inappropriate to ask for donations to anything at your wedding. My suggestion is a notation in a program. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    I'm very sorry for your loss. That's really sad.

In other threads, we discuss appropriate ways of "memorializing" a loved one who has passed away at one's wedding, which include wearing or carrying something belonging to or associated with the deceased, providing food, beverages, decorations, or entertainment they would have enjoyed, giving them a tribute in a wedding program, and saying appropriate prayers if your ceremony is religious.

But because your wedding is neither a fundraiser nor a memorial service for the deceased, we don't endorse lit candles, "reserved" empty seats or place settings with photo displays or flowers, or solicitations of donations from guests. (The last is not appropriate.) 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine the grief you must be feeling.

I agree with the others to keep the memorials to something that is memorable to you, but more private. Emotions will be on high and you never know how you or others will react to see something that is overt the day of.

A program memorial is appropriate. You are free to give any cash gifts you receive to her child's trust. I would suggest seeing if you are able to wear a piece or two of her jewelry, including her favourite flower in your bouquet, and play one of her favourite songs.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I too am sorry for your loss, and I concur with PPs' ideas about how to honor your friend. I really like @MesmrEwe's ideas in particular.
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. It would not be appropriate to ask for money; if you'd like to set up a college fund or something like that for your friend's child, do it completely separate from your wedding and ask others to help another time. 

I agree that a notation in your program honoring your friend would be appropriate. Other than that, I would keep everything else something more personal/private for you so you can move through any sadness you feel that day in peace and in your own way. I like a lot of PP's ideas, especially playing a favorite song or carrying her favorite flowers. These are all great ways to keep her presence with you at your wedding.
  • Options
    I also am sorry for your loss, and I think you got some great ideas from PPs.
  • Options
    Also - in terms of a college fund - you may want to check with a financial advisor - you may be better off to put money into an income gaining account that when they graduate you hand them a check as a gift to use toward college expenses (all things moving out to go to school, books, tuition, etc) that wouldn't count against them when it comes to student aid.. 
  • Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Sending internet hugs your way. 

• Options
    I know the feeling. My beloved aunt passed away last week which at that point was two weeks away. I hope you figured it out, so sorry to hear about your loss. 
  • Options
    I don't have any advice I just wanted to say I'm so sorry. My best friend means everything to me and I would be devastated if I lost her. Big cyber hugs.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    I have stage 4 cancer, and when I die, I do NOT want my friends to make a big deal about it, especially at special family gatherings, like weddings.  The last thing I would want is to have my death cast a shadow on someone's special day.
    I am pre-planning a modest funeral, and that is enough.
    I am so sorry you lost your dear friend.  My sympathies.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards