Just Engaged and Proposals

Type-A Bride Going Crazy

Hey everyone!

As you can see in my signature, it's going to be over two years until we tie the knot. I am very organized and plan everything way in advance, which usually turns out in my favor. What can I do at this point as far as planning goes?

I have a Pinterest board, a budget built on Google Sheets, the basic guest list (which, of course, will change as needed until I send out the invites), song list and more. I am really anxious to get started in the official planning process and need something to keep me busy. Any thoughts?

Thanks, y'all!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Type-A Bride Going Crazy

• edited June 2016
    Stick around here and read lots of posts. Ask a lot of questions. Learn from our experiences, and have fun! 

P.S. Google Sheets rock. 
  • Start looking for venues.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Look up average prices for different services in your area. This helped me determine whether a quote was high, low or average, so when I started looking at venues and vendors I could put into context with the "going rate". Now of course that take into account all kinds of wedding (black-tie Saturday evening weddings and cake and punch) but it gave me an idea of where things fit. 
  • I do have one suggestion.  Buy a copy of Miss Manners Guide to a Surprisingly Dignified Wedding.  She is a bit on the conservative side, but her advice is sound and very friendly to brides on a budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Manners-Guide-Surprisingly-Dignified-Wedding/dp/0393069141/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465103410&sr=1-1&keywords=miss+manners+wedding

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Yeah, I agree that looking for vendors and price comparing is something you can do now. You could wait to lock down vendors until 18-12 months out (depending on overall demand in your area).
    I wouldn't yet decide on a "look" for your wedding, as your tastes and trends can and will change. Two years is too early to commit to an aesthetic. Same goes for wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses- wait until 12-9 months for that. 

By the way OP, is your signature photo at a state park in Arkansas? It looks really familiar to me (my friend lives nearby if it's the place I'm thinking of). Cool photo! 

• Hey PP, I agree. Even in the past few months my idea for colors has changed. I have gone from blush, gold, cream and navy to sage, dusty blue, cream and possibly marsala for some warmth as it will be a fall wedding.

Yes, we got engaged at Hawksbill Crag in Northwest Arkansas. One of my best friends is a photographer like me, so she followed us out there to capture the moment. It was beautiful! (But hiking in a dress was interesting)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats and welcome to The Knot!

Do you have an idea of type of venue you'd like?  We weren't sure if we wanted a DIY set up or an all inclusive type of place.  We set up a spreadsheet with a tab for each venue and then called them all.  From there, we set up appointments to visit our tops.  That entire process took us probably 2 months because we started off with 22 venue ideas.  Otherwise, you seem to be in a good spot.
  • Thank you! There is a venue we both love that is located on state park land. It is a beautiful 80 year old lodge with lots of windows (so gorgeous natural light) that is right on the lake that looks beautiful in the fall. It is only $250 to be there from 10 am to 11 pm (even on a Saturday)!! When she told us, I was shocked. I understand that it is a state park and that is why, but that is unreal compared the other venues around town that are $2000 and $3000 easy. We haven't factored in rental costs for the chairs because we want an outdoor ceremony, but it wouldn't come close to those expensive locations.

This is it:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This photo was shot at the location by Tony Colvin in late October. We are wanting to have our wedding in late September, so hopefully it will be this vibrant.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2016
    @BrideToBe26 That's a lovely venue!

Most of the state parks around where I grew up didn't allow alcohol...so I would double check on that, and whether you need to get event insurance (costs in the hundreds range, usually, depending on circumstances).

It looks like the venue would have bathroom facilities. This is *super* important because those toilet trailers cost serious money (~$1,400)!

Chair rentals were around $1.75 + $1 set up fee (per chair). Tables around $10 each + ?? set up fees (seats about 8), and the bar was about $100 to rent. Plus linens were about $10 each. But that was in PA, it's likely slightly different pricing where you are.

k thnx bye

• @TYVM Thanks for the information, I need to double check and make sure, but the woman that gave us a tour mentioned a bar being used and showed us one that is mobile. There are bathrooms as well. They are a little outdated, but they are doing some renovations in the next year that may fix them up. If not, I'm sure we can spruce them up somehow!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's beautiful. 

When you say "because we want an outdoor wedding" about chairs, you are not saying that you expect people to stand, right?
  • @kimmiinthemitten Thank you! No, we aren't going to make out guests stand. Because we can't take the historic seating outdoors due to their policy, we need to rent chairs for the ceremony. Renting chairs shouldn't cost more than $2 or $3 per chair based on our local vendors prices. With $500 V. $3000 total for the venue, there is a clear winner.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @kimmiinthemitten Thank you! No, we aren't going to make out guests stand. Because we can't take the historic seating outdoors due to their policy, we need to rent chairs for the ceremony. Renting chairs shouldn't cost more than $2 or $3 per chair based on our local vendors prices. With $500 V. $3000 total for the venue, there is a clear winner.
    Chair rental costs are about the same here - starts at $1.50-$2.00 each.
  • Read read read. A good place to start is to find a couple dates you are into. I got engaged 18 months out, and I found that venues were already starting to book up. So I would start casually looking, and doing some emailing a phone calling to ask lots of questions. If you don't have a tentative guest list, I would get that started too. It's easier to look for a venue when you have an idea of how many people you are trying to accommodate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards