Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Gifts Without Names

I've been married 2.5 weeks now and I'm trying to get into the process of writing all the Thank Yous for our wedding gifts.  The day after we did a gift opening and found there to be 4 gifts with no card or label with a name so we don't know who they came from.  1 of the 4 was shipped to our house before the wedding so it's also possible it came from a guest who couldn't attend.

I crossed off names from our seating chart to see which guests have and haven't sent us a gift to get an idea of who the unknown givers are of these gifts.  Unfortunately I have more than 4 guests/couples not crossed off on my list so I can't just ask each guest/couple that I didn't cross off to claim which gift they got us.  Plus I don't know if any of these guests just haven't sent a gift yet.

What is the proper etiquette for situations like this?  Do I only thank those for the gifts in which I know who the giver is and leave it at that?  Should I contact those I don't have a gift matched to and ask if they gave a gift and if so, what it was so I can thank them?  Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Gifts Without Names

• Options
    Definitely try to reach out to the store if they were bought from your registry. My first wedding gift I received came from Bed Bath and Beyond without a packing slip. I called their customer service line and they were able to say who it was from and the message from the relative. I agree with PP's suggestion to drop subtle hints if it might be a close family member. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, only 1 is actually from our registries now that I think about it (go figure, it's never easy!).

Is it more appropriate for our parents to ask family members than the husband and I?
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, only 1 is actually from our registries now that I think about it (go figure, it's never easy!).

Is it more appropriate for our parents to ask family members than the husband and I?

The hard part here is trying to figure out who sent them to be polite without making it sound like you are outright asking for a gift.  While some people will surely understand the confusion some may mistake the inquiry as you bullying them into it in a passive aggressive way.  I think that is why generally it is suggested to have some other family members do the inquiring.

If you do see these people, you could mention that you got some lovely gifts without a card, and maybe they will remember they forgot to sign one or something.  Thankfully we didn't have this problem as us NY folks only give envelopes with cash at the wedding, and those are almost always signed.

• Options
    I wouldn't bring this up to people who didn't send a gift. No card or name? No thank you. Oh well. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't bring this up to people who didn't send a gift. No card or name? No thank you. Oh well. 
    You'd just wait to see if the gift giver called to be sure they got the gift? That's not a bad idea.
  • Options
    You'd just wait to see if the gift giver called to be sure they got the gift? That's not a bad idea.
    Yeah. At most I spread the word to my mom/aunt/family gossip that I feel bad I can't send a thank you for xyz because there was no card. I just think actually mentioning it to every guest who didn't send a gift, even obliquely, is too much. 
  • Options

The hard part here is trying to figure out who sent them to be polite without making it sound like you are outright asking for a gift.  While some people will surely understand the confusion some may mistake the inquiry as you bullying them into it in a passive aggressive way.  I think that is why generally it is suggested to have some other family members do the inquiring.

If you do see these people, you could mention that you got some lovely gifts without a card, and maybe they will remember they forgot to sign one or something.  Thankfully we didn't have this problem as us NY folks only give envelopes with cash at the wedding, and those are almost always signed.

This is exactly why I asked.  Wording is always tricky.  I'm debating if simply explaining the situation that we have multiple gifts without names and that I want to be able to thank the right person for them is enough to not make it sound like I'm asking/nudging the person to give a gift.

Etiquette says guests do have within a year to send gifts to newlyweds right?
  • Options
    LtPowersLtPowers member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Answer
    edited July 2016
    misssarahx23 said:

Etiquette says guests do have within a year to send gifts to newlyweds right?

Technically, though it's kind of weird. And once you get close to a year it kind of becomes an anniversary gift.
  • Options
    You got some good ideas above. A few others:

Talk about it with people, especially grandmothers or whoever the hub of the families are. My grandmother pretty much knows everything about anything going on in the family at all times through her sibling network. She gets info fast. 

Last year, a friend of mine posted a photo on facebook of the item appearing well-loved, and in use asking who they can thank. 

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards