Attire & Accessories Forum

What colour suit should the groom/groomsmen wear?

The bridesmaids are in a grey-blue, so I'm thinking maybe a dark grey? Any other thoughts? I've asked my fiancé but he said that he really doesn't care what he or the groomsmen wear.  (He's one of those "as long as we get married, I don't care about any other details...except the food" haha)

I'm open to suggestions about how to differentiate the groom from the groomsmen too.  I've seen on Pinterest a few different options, but I'm wanting to know what you guys think works!

Re: What colour suit should the groom/groomsmen wear?

• The bridesmaids are in a grey-blue, so I'm thinking maybe a dark grey? Any other thoughts? I've asked my fiancé but he said that he really doesn't care what he or the groomsmen wear.  (He's one of those "as long as we get married, I don't care about any other details...except the food" haha)

I'm open to suggestions about how to differentiate the groom from the groomsmen too.  I've seen on Pinterest a few different options, but I'm wanting to know what you guys think works!

The groom is differentiated from the groomsmen because he's the one standing front and center with the bride.

Has your FI asked his groomsmen about their budget? IME really nobody cares what the groomsmen wear. They should match you and the bridesmaids in level of formality, not necessarily color. H just asked his to wear whatever dark suit they already owned. Some were charcoal, some were black, I even think one might have been navy.
  • I agree with @artbyallie on the budget thing.  It is the only respectful thing to do.  Some ideas...

navy suits: A classic look, although I don't know many men personally that own one already

black suits: likely to be worn again and/or already owned by many men.

"Mix and Match" dark grey suits:  Probably the easiest option as it allows for men to use what they may own and wear again but doesn't require a specific shade of grey.

Even more casual...suit jackets only: Not my cup of tea but could be a money saver if the budgets aren't huge.

• Yeah... I'm with @artbyallie on this one. People will know your groom is the groom because he's standing in the center saying the vows to you. @cowgirl8238 gave some good suggestions too. You don't say if the GM will be wearing suits or tuxes or jeans, though so it's hard to give you a good answer. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would go with navy, medium or dark grey.

One way you could have your FI stand out, is that he has a 3 piece suit while the GM have a 2 piece suit (this also keeps the extra cost on your FI, who can get fancy if he wants to, not on the GM).
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    The traditional rule is that the groom wears the same as his groomsmen.  He will usually have a different boutonniere.  Groomsmen's suits do not need to match in color, only in the sense that if the groom wears a suit, so do his attendants..
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I agree with @artbyallie on the budget thing.  It is the only respectful thing to do.  Some ideas...

navy suits: A classic look, although I don't know many men personally that own one already

black suits: likely to be worn again and/or already owned by many men.

"Mix and Match" dark grey suits:  Probably the easiest option as it allows for men to use what they may own and wear again but doesn't require a specific shade of grey.

Even more casual...suit jackets only: Not my cup of tea but could be a money saver if the budgets aren't huge.

I really like the mix and match idea with the grey suits! I'm all for the BP spending as little as possible (without being trashy of course).  I tried to stay significantly under budget for my BMs and I'm hoping to find something similar with the groomsmen.  Thanks for all of the ideas!
  • Yeah... I'm with @artbyallie on this one. People will know your groom is the groom because he's standing in the center saying the vows to you. @cowgirl8238 gave some good suggestions too. You don't say if the GM will be wearing suits or tuxes or jeans, though so it's hard to give you a good answer. 

Yeah, sorry for that.  That's because I literally have zero idea.  My groom and his groomsmen don't care at all and I have never put much thought because I always assumed that he would just figure out what he wants.  The differentiation was straight from Pinterest haha I'll probably ditch the idea.
  • What are YOU wearing?  The groom and all attendants are supposed to match the bride in the level of formality and time of day.  If you are wearing a white sundress, it doesn't have to be very formal at all.  If you are wearing a traditional long wedding gown, then they should at least wear suits.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• Yeah, sorry for that.  That's because I literally have zero idea.  My groom and his groomsmen don't care at all and I have never put much thought because I always assumed that he would just figure out what he wants.  The differentiation was straight from Pinterest haha I'll probably ditch the idea.
    You'll soon learn that Pinterest can be the absolute death of you. Nothing will ever be Pinterest perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards