Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Donut bar as dessert for reception

2»

Re: Donut bar as dessert for reception

• AddieCake said:
    I will happily eat any leftover cake you blasphemous cake shunners leave behind! 
    Count me in too!
  • lyndausvi said:
    For the record, I do not eat much cake at weddings.  DH doesn't either.  As an employee who works weddings, we see a LOT of leftover cake.   Partly because they ordered too much, but honestly between cocktail hour, dinner and drinking, people just are not hungry at that point.  Adding more items doesn't really change that.  Most people are not like "woo, look at that fruit platter."   Most do not even know it's there because they are already full and too busy mingling and/or dancing to even notice.

The first wedding I worked after getting engaged I somehow got stuck with garbage duty. I ended up wearing more cake than the guests ate (we threw out the entire sheet cake and half of the tiered cake and the dumpster had a foot on me, easily). That was when I knew we wouldn't serve traditional cake. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    For the record, I do not eat much cake at weddings.  DH doesn't either.  As an employee who works weddings, we see a LOT of leftover cake.   Partly because they ordered too much, but honestly between cocktail hour, dinner and drinking, people just are not hungry at that point.  Adding more items doesn't really change that.  Most people are not like "woo, look at that fruit platter."   Most do not even know it's there because they are already full and too busy mingling and/or dancing to even notice.

The first wedding I worked after getting engaged I somehow got stuck with garbage duty. I ended up wearing more cake than the guests ate (we threw out the entire sheet cake and half of the tiered cake and the dumpster had a foot on me, easily). That was when I knew we wouldn't serve traditional cake. 
    Part of the reason we're doing cupcakes. We're planning for 1 1/2 to 2 per person in three flavors, knowing that some people might take one of each and some might not take any. Also, cupcakes are more portable than pieces of cake.
  • lyndausvi said:

Part of the reason we're doing cupcakes. We're planning for 1 1/2 to 2 per person in three flavors, knowing that some people might take one of each and some might not take any. Also, cupcakes are more portable than pieces of cake.
    We originally were going to do cupcakes for DD's wedding thinking it would be more cost effective. However, to get the quality of cupcakes my DH and I wanted (DD didn't care at first) it would have cost a lot more. That is why we went with traditional cake but in three flavors. Everyone raved about how good the cake was and DD/SIL were glad we went with quality cake. Moral of the story: just make sure that whatever is served is delicious!
  • I prefer vanilla cake, but I hardly get it at weddings. That's okay though, because your wedding is not my only opportunity in life to eat such a confection.  I'm not a donut fan unless they're covered in maple cream, but I'd think "Hey, donuts" and shove them in my mouth, because..sugar. Bonus if you add sprinkles because...yeah, additional sugar.

I had a GF cupcake for a guest I knew to be sensitive. She appreciated the thought but said I didn't need to do that. The diabetics I know still ate the cake . 

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    lyndausvi said:

we did both mini and full size cupcakes. I'd say the minis were more popular than full size so that people could try more. We had planned to get togo boxes too but ended up not getting them (couldn't find ones that would work that weren't super expensive). I do wish we'd gone ahead and got them because we had a decent amount left over but it wasn't that bad (and I know we over-ordered too just to be safe)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards