Wedding Woes

My live-in mom is meddling in dangerous ways

Dear Prudence,
My mother is truly unhinged. After my dad died, my mom sold their condo and moved in with us. It’s been more than seven years now. She hates my husband and has always had issues with co-workers, neighbors, friends, and family members. Her own sister hasn’t spoken to her in 25 years. I’m an only child, so I’ve always felt I have to just suck it up and deal, but her narcissistic ways have caused me to hate her behavior and, truthfully, to hate her. Mom is a young sixtysomething but extremely lazy and rarely leaves the house.

Recently, one of my aunts told me that my mother seems to be obsessed with the idea of having my husband arrested. If he so much as drops a glass and curses in frustration, she’s going to call the cops and report him for violence (the last thing he could ever be). My husband and I are understandably horrified. I appreciate my aunt’s giving me a heads up, but honestly she’s tied my hands. I can’t confront my mother about this without throwing my aunt under the bus for telling me. Part of me thinks I should just confront my mom and let the chips fall where they may, especially since my family knows that she is irrational, but everyone just seems happy to let me and my husband drown under her emotional weight. I could really use an objective opinion.

—My Hands Are Tied

Re: My live-in mom is meddling in dangerous ways

• Oh, hell-to-the-NO! 

You need to get Mom out of there, and fast. Do not  let your husband be in that situation. Your hands are not tied. Stop tip-toing around her, and stand up for yourself and your family. You're only under her emotional weight if you don't do anything about it. 

• edited July 2016
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence,
    My mother is truly unhinged. After my dad died, my mom sold their condo and moved in with us. It’s been more than seven years now. She hates my husband and has always had issues with co-workers, neighbors, friends, and family members. Her own sister hasn’t spoken to her in 25 years. I’m an only child, so I’ve always felt I have to just suck it up and deal, but her narcissistic ways have caused me to hate her behavior and, truthfully, to hate her. Mom is a young sixtysomething but extremely lazy and rarely leaves the house.

Recently, one of my aunts told me that my mother seems to be obsessed with the idea of having my husband arrested. If he so much as drops a glass and curses in frustration, she’s going to call the cops and report him for violence (the last thing he could ever be). My husband and I are understandably horrified. I appreciate my aunt’s giving me a heads up, but honestly she’s tied my hands. I can’t confront my mother about this without throwing my aunt under the bus for telling me. Part of me thinks I should just confront my mom and let the chips fall where they may, especially since my family knows that she is irrational, but everyone just seems happy to let me and my husband drown under her emotional weight. I could really use an objective opinion.

—My Hands Are Tied

Leave the aunt out of it, confront mom about everything else, tell her this isn't working anymore and ask her to begin looking for somewhere else to live.

ETA: I am terrified that this is going to be me.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Obviously the first mistake was the LW allowing her mother to move in with them, at all.  If I had a mom like that, I'd be, "Sorry you sold your condo.  Let me introduce you to the rental ad area of Craig's List/Zillow."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm wondering why the mother sold the condo in the first place.

When my dad passed my mum's reaction was to move and I was going to just swap places with her briefly. However I knew this was a haste decision and as much as I understood her need to flee {fight or flight} I told her to wait it out for a bit. She did and decided against it. So I'm wondering if LW's mother had same reaction?
  • I'm wondering why the mother sold the condo in the first place.

When my dad passed my mum's reaction was to move and I was going to just swap places with her briefly. However I knew this was a haste decision and as much as I understood her need to flee {fight or flight} I told her to wait it out for a bit. She did and decided against it. So I'm wondering if LW's mother had same reaction?

They say people should not make any major decisions for the first year after the loss of a loved one.  I'm glad you were able to talk your mom into giving it some time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  I was definitely willing to help her if she felt the same even 6 months later, but I think it helped when her neighbour lost his wife and basically trashed everything of hers. It made her put into perspective that despite he died at home {peacefully - even if it was unexpected} she could move all she wants but memories would follow her.
  • edited July 2016
    This is actually my nightmare for the future. I live in england though, and lucky brother has a 5 bedroom house a mere 2 miles down the road so I'm guessing it won't be me to draw that particular short straw. LW needs that book @CMGragain always recommends to people dealing with nightmare mums.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards