Wedding Etiquette Forum

Who to invite to rehearsal?? S.O.S

2»

Re: Who to invite to rehearsal?? S.O.S

• AddieCake said:
    lnixon8 said:
    I've been on the other side of the bridesmaid SO debacle: I was told that at 21 I was to tell anyone that asked that my bf was my FI, great friends with bride and groom (he had never met either).But we lived far away, first non-family wedding for either of us so...

Blew up in brides face after someone passed mic to (also 21, now DH) who made a toast using the wrong name for the groom. The other bridesmaids, cousins etc. were pissed when they found out.
    Why did you have to do this? 
    Or better yet, why did you AGREE to do it?
    Because other bridesmaids boyfriends and other guests SO's were not invited. I said I was TOLD to do that, not that anyone actually asked. I guess I could have questioned it but like I said, I was young and this was the first wedding I was in. I certainly didn't do anything even close to that for my RD or wedding.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    At any social event, the guests' SO should always be invited.

A RD is a social event.

Plus all of what Banana just said above ;).
  • horriblegbhorriblegb member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    Hijack for a question I have been having issues with:  Our rehearsal has all SOs invited, but I have issues when it comes to our Grandmas.  My fiance and I only have one grandparent each, a grandma.  Our wedding is 100% out of town folks, most people driving.  My Grandma is being brought to the wedding with my dad's buddy, and his wife.  His grandma is being brought by his aunt to the wedding.  Do we invite the buddy, wife, and aunt?  At the risk of excluding his other aunt and other folks who wanted to go?  I am trying to figure out the right place to draw the line and I have struggled somewhat, maybe I am missing something obvious. 
  • Hijack for a question I have been having issues with:  Our rehearsal has all SOs invited, but I have issues when it comes to our Grandmas.  My fiance and I only have one grandparent each, a grandma.  Our wedding is 100% out of town folks, most people driving.  My Grandma is being brought to the wedding with my dad's buddy, and his wife.  His grandma is being brought by his aunt to the wedding.  Do we invite the buddy, wife, and aunt?  At the risk of excluding his other aunt and other folks who wanted to go?  I am trying to figure out the right place to draw the line and I have struggled somewhat, maybe I am missing something obvious. 
    You don't have to invite anyone besides your parents, your actual wedding party members, and everyone's SOs. But if you invite anyone else, their SOs need to be included too.
  • Right, we are inviting just our immediate family, their SOs (and children) and the bridal party, their SOs and children.  Thanks @jen4948 I dont know why the rehearsal dinner is giving me more heartburn than the wedding, it just feels more exclusionary!
  • Hijack for a question I have been having issues with:  Our rehearsal has all SOs invited, but I have issues when it comes to our Grandmas.  My fiance and I only have one grandparent each, a grandma.  Our wedding is 100% out of town folks, most people driving.  My Grandma is being brought to the wedding with my dad's buddy, and his wife.  His grandma is being brought by his aunt to the wedding.  Do we invite the buddy, wife, and aunt?  At the risk of excluding his other aunt and other folks who wanted to go?  I am trying to figure out the right place to draw the line and I have struggled somewhat, maybe I am missing something obvious us. 
    If you can swing it, I would invite the buddy, wife and aunt. If the Grandmas are fairly independent but just don't want to travel alone, I suppose you could not invite the people they rode with to the town.You know your family dynamics.
  • Ya I mean it is a little crazy, my dad took a surprising amount of issue with the fact that I was not planning to invite the buddy, which is where I get the guilt from.  I am thinking since it is giving me so much heartburn I should maybe invite them and get over it.  FWIW my parents are contributing money to the entire wedding, but the planning is all on us. 
    edited August 2016
    [repeat]
    edited August 2016
    [repeat]
  • I have a question related to the grandma thing too. FI grandmother offered to pay for me and my bridesmaids to have our hair and makeup done for the wedding. Grandmom isn't in the wedding, and thus my mom said we shouldn't invite her to the RD. (Plus, her kids from OOT will be over) but would this make her feel slighted? I know that must be a lot of money for our hair and makeup, but does that mean I need to invite her to the RD? 
  • I have a question related to the grandma thing too. FI grandmother offered to pay for me and my bridesmaids to have our hair and makeup done for the wedding. Grandmom isn't in the wedding, and thus my mom said we shouldn't invite her to the RD. (Plus, her kids from OOT will be over) but would this make her feel slighted? I know that must be a lot of money for our hair and makeup, but does that mean I need to invite her to the RD? 
    I would normally invite grandparents to the rehearsal dinner, but if she has her OOT kids over she might not want to come. Let her decide.
    I would normally invite grandparents to the rehearsal dinner, but if she has her OOT kids over she might not want to come. Let her decide.
    Thanks! 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I have a question related to the grandma thing too. FI grandmother offered to pay for me and my bridesmaids to have our hair and makeup done for the wedding. Grandmom isn't in the wedding, and thus my mom said we shouldn't invite her to the RD. (Plus, her kids from OOT will be over) but would this make her feel slighted? I know that must be a lot of money for our hair and makeup, but does that mean I need to invite her to the RD? 
    You do not have to invite her to the RD because she is paying for hair and make up. The RD is to thank those who attended the rehearsal. However, it is very common to invite immediate family (including grandparents) to the RD. Thus, I would invite her and let her decide.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards