Chit Chat

Honeymoon

We are taking a belated honeymoon to Rehoboth Beach, DE next week! We found an ADA-accessible condo on the boardwalk and we're really excited to have a week off from appointments, paperwork, and calls! 

Has anyone been here? Any tips or recommendations? 

I've been told the water is quite cold even at this time of year. Being from the Mid-Atlantic I am used to swimming in the ocean but people have said I probably won't be able to stand it. Not a huge issue as H won't be able to join me anyway, so we'll probably just walk/roll on the beach and collect shells or hang out under the umbrella. But I'm still curious as to whether the whole thing about the water being too cold is true! 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Honeymoon

• I don't know why this is in ChitChat - does anyone know how to move this post to Honeymoon? 
  • My parents live there.    I've always thought the water was on the colder side.  That said, there are ton of people in the water, so what do I know?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Never been there, but I am from the West Coast, where the water is WAY colder. The first time I swam in the Atlantic (Cape Cod), I was shocked at how warm it was. (Totally a tangent, I know...)

Nothing to add, but I hope you have a fun, relaxing week!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I hope you have fun!  I went swimming at Cape May, NJ about 1.5 months ago, which I think is pretty close latitude wise.  It was chilly at first, but fine once you got used to it.  Especially if it's a hotter day, it should feel nice:)
  • Enjoy .... y'all deserve it!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    I was there many times, years ago.  I'm sure it has changed a lot.  Be sure and get Boardwalk Fries to eat on the beach, and, of course, Dolles' salt water taffy.  Try a soft crab sandwich or a Maryland style crabcake.
    Water should be fine, but surf can be rough at times.  Take plenty of sun protection! 
    http://www.rehobothboardwalk.com/
    Since you will have a car, think about taking the ferry over to Cape May for a day trip!  Victorian architecture and a romantic view of the past.  Alternatively, you and your FI might enjoy The Wheaton Glass and Arts Center in Millville, NJ.  Watching people make glass is fascinating!  Handicapped access is easy. http://www.wheatonarts.org/about/
    Congratulations on finally getting your honeymoon!

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We are taking a belated honeymoon to Rehoboth Beach, DE next week! We found an ADA-accessible condo on the boardwalk and we're really excited to have a week off from appointments, paperwork, and calls! 

Has anyone been here? Any tips or recommendations? 

I've been told the water is quite cold even at this time of year. Being from the Mid-Atlantic I am used to swimming in the ocean but people have said I probably won't be able to stand it. Not a huge issue as H won't be able to join me anyway, so we'll probably just walk/roll on the beach and collect shells or hang out under the umbrella. But I'm still curious as to whether the whole thing about the water being too cold is true! 
    Ha! I'm going to be there the week after you!

The water really isn't that cold, unless you're only used to, like, tropical locations. I surf there a few times a summer, and it is totally manageable. I was there about a month ago and I was in the water plenty!

There are a ton of great restaurants and bars there, so I definitely recommend trying some food and music! It's a great time, I love Rehoboth.

• Enjoy! You so deserve it!
  • I have no suggestions, but wanted to say I hope you have a great time! You two deserve an amazing trip. 
  • Do you want me to move this still?

• Was there a couple of years ago. It was beautiful. I went in early spring, so I can't comment on the water temp in the summer.

If you're interested in road tripping from there, Assateague Island is about 1-1.5 hours south of there and is amazing.

Have fun!
  • Sounds awesome!  Have a blast

Never been to Rohoboth Beach, but my friends and I did Dewey Beach a looooooong time ago  They're only a few miles apart.  We swam a lot.  I didn't feel like it was any colder than any other beach*.  i remember Dewey beach had the amazing orange crush drink and $1 taco Tuesday specials. 

*it should also be noted, I don't "beach" very often.

• Have a great belated honeymoon.  Sounds fantastic!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2016
    Never been to Rehobeth but I've been to Ocean City in July and I wouldn't call the water warm.

I'm a big fan of trying local beers and food, so that means crab, shit on a shingle and Natty Bo!

ETA:  have a great time. So glad you guys are able to get away. 

• What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Just noticed my mistake above... I *would* consider the water warm!  

It's no Gulf of Mexico in July but it's not cold.
  • Congrats! Enjoy every moment :)

• My coworker was just at Rehoboth beach a couple of weeks ago - her and her three year old son played in the ocean every day so I can't imagine it's that cold. Enjoy the trip!!
  • Thanks, everyone! Now I don't know what to believe about the water, haha. I'll check it out for myself. There is also a pool at the condo so we could swim there too.

We'd mostly like to stick around our condo/boardwalk area, basically anywhere we can walk/roll, since we already run around in the car constantly and dealing with loading/unloading the power chair is not our favorite. However @lyndausvi we will be making an exception for taking a brewery tour at Dogfish Head in Milton. They also have a brewpub on the boardwalk so we'll get in a lot of DFH time!

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Can't wait... 4 days to go... 
    They have a pub on Rehoboth Ave (main street).  I've  never been to the brewery, but Milton isn't far away.  Be careful driving.  The speed limit drops on Route 1 right before Milton and those Milton cops love to snag people.

Fun Land is pretty cool.  It's an old school amusement place.  If you like arcade games it's pretty cool.

Try out Dolly's for salt-water taffy.  It's right by the bandstands on the boardwalk.

Grotto's is famous for their pizza.  There are a ton around.

Woody's in Dewey has the BEST crabcakes.  I get a GC for my parents every year.  They are huge.  Maybe the day you go to Milton you can just drive over there since you will already be in the car. It's only a few miles past the Rehoboth Ave turn off on Route 1, so not really that far out of the way.  It gets crowded, so maybe go there early or between meals.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards