Getting in Shape

Yoga?

Any yoga lovers out there? I am looking to start practicing but I want to practice at home and not at a studio?
Any videos you use or watch? How do you make time for practice when there is just  to much going on or to much noise?

Re: Yoga?

• https://www.doyogawithme.com/

I would suggest that if you have never done it before to take some classes.  It is difficult to effectively learn poses while watching a video because many of the poses  require you to have your head down or lowered.  Developing the proper breathing techniques is key to performing yoga.  I needed a lot of help figuring that out.
  • I have been doing yoga for the past 10 years and it's great.  I agree with above, you definitely should start in a class - it's a lot less scary than it may seem at first.  People are really too involved in their time to look at you or worry about you.  If you learn the right alignment and breathing technique you will get so much more out of yoga.  That includes relaxation and calories burned! See if there are some beginner classes around you.
  • my only problem is being unemployed I dont have the extra cash to be throwing around. I understand that going to class would be more productive on learning. hopefully i can find somewhere that has free ones.
  • mrsk616 said:
    my only problem is being unemployed I dont have the extra cash to be throwing around. I understand that going to class would be more productive on learning. hopefully i can find somewhere that has free ones.
    Try your local recreation department or library. The rec centers in our city occasionally offer free classes.
  • edited April 2016

my only problem is being unemployed I dont have the extra cash to be throwing around. I understand that going to class would be more productive on learning. hopefully i can find somewhere that has free ones.
    Ooof yeah that's tough.  Yoga is expensive (which I think is ridiculous).  There are one or two studios in my region that do donation only classes.  None near me but that might be a thing to look for?
  • I've taken a few yoga classes and sometimes I do yoga videos at home. I need to do them more regularly, I suck at making time to exercise. I'd recommend if you aren't going to do a class and want to do videos to watch the video without doing the moves yourself first then pause after each move and re-watch if you had any issues and to make sure you're doing it right. It will be time consuming the first time you do it but I've found it to be helpful since a lot of the moves need to be done correctly to be effective. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I do know that Rodney Yee came out with an alignment video a long time ago.  If you can't get to classes then maybe an alignment video is a good start!
  • mrsk616 said:
    Look around to see if there is a yoga school near you (it's probably more likely if you are in or near a bigger city).  I take classes at a yoga school near me and the regular classes are $10 a session. But, during daytime they offer FREE practicum classes taught by the yoga students. You just have to fill out a survey afterward saying how you thought they did as a teacher.

• I love yoga and do it almost every day. While I go to a studio (group atmosphere makes working out a bit more fun for me), I did see that DailyBurn has daily yoga sessions you watch at home and right now I believe that they have a 30 day free trial going on so that you can see if you really like it before committing. 

I would be careful though as a few PPs have mentioned though that it may be helpful to take at least one beginner class in person just to get the technique (proper alignment is super important to making sure you don't actually injure yourself). Many studios will offer either your first class free (my studio does) or greatly discounted! 
  • I kinda scrolled down to the bottom of this, so I'm not sure if anyone already mentioned it, but you should definitely check out Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. All of her videos are free and she really takes the time to explain things. She also has yoga bootcamps and 30 Days of Yoga where she takes you from beginner to the next level. I've only been to a few actual yoga classes and I find her videos very easy to follow along!
  • I go for a yoga class near my area. You can also search for a yoga class near to you.
  • zombie closing
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards