Wedding Etiquette Forum

Hotel Room Blocks / Early Check In!

BiaPage2BiaPage2 member
First Comment
edited August 2016 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Hi! I was wondering if anyone else had ever run into an issue with needing early check in at their hotels.  

Our ceremony starts at 2:30 so we have a shuttle/party bus to come around 2 to bring guests from the hotel to the venue - thus we would need a 1pm check in time (possibly earlier).  I understand that most hotels check is is around 3pm and I totally understand why (getting rooms cleaned getting other guests from the night before checked out, etc.)  However, our ceremony and everything is outside in late October hence the slightly earlier start.  

Has any other brides run into this situation with needing an earlier check in?  How was it resolved? 

Re: Hotel Room Blocks / Early Check In!

• You can either request early check in from the hotel, or note on your website/accommodations card that check in is after the shuttle leaves. People will either need to come ready or change in the hotel bathroom or stay over Friday night. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    BiaPage2 said:
    Hi! I was wondering if anyone else had ever run into an issue with needing early check in at their hotels.  

Our ceremony starts at 2:30 so we have a shuttle/party bus to come around 2 to bring guests from the hotel to the venue - thus we would need a 1pm check in time (possibly earlier).  I understand that most hotels check is is around 3pm and I totally understand why (getting rooms cleaned getting other guests from the night before checked out, etc.)  However, our ceremony and everything is outside in late October hence the slightly earlier start.  

Has any other brides run into this situation with needing an earlier check in?  How was it resolved? 

We have always been fortunate, on an individual basis, to get into our room before official check in time.  There is no possible way for you to arrange for your entire guest block to be afforded early check in.  I'm at a loss as to why you planned this arrangement.

What you can do is ask the hotel if you can pay for a hospitality suite or conference room in which guests can leave their personal belongings.  Depending on the amount of rooms you have booked, there may be a slight chance, and for a fee, you could arrange for your block to be prepared prior to the typical hotel cleaning scenario.  I'm surprised a shuttle service is being allowed to transport what is technically non-checked in guests. 

If I were a guest for your wedding, I would assume I would need to arrive the day prior to the wedding.

Where is your wedding being held that you can have an entirely outdoor event in late October?  What is your back up plan?

ETA.  I just saw that your wedding is in northern New Jersey.  I am going to (hopefully) assume that when you say "everything is outside", you mean the event is outside, but in a tent with space heaters.
  • BiaPage2 said:

I can't imagine a hotel being willing (or able really) to make early check-in available for all of your guests. There isn't really a way for them to predict when the guests staying the night before will check out. 

Put a note on your website or insert with the shuttle info that it leaves before the hotel check-in. Your guests will make their own arrangements as long as you provide all the relevant information. 
  • Thank you everyone for your helpful advice :)

I figured I was at the mercy of the hotel but wanted to see if anyone had run into this themselves or had any creative solutions or had a pleasant experience working with their hotels in some way or another.  

Yes my wedding is in Northern NJ; the tent is heated should it be a cold day; the venue is also in a rural location so amplified music has to end at 9pm - which also contributes to the earlier start.  

http://www.crossedkeys.com/ 

The venue does 50+ outdoor weddings a year dealing with all kinds of weather and having this earlier start time so I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had to make such an arrangement - so maybe my venue will have some advice for me as well.  

Thanks again everyone 

• BiaPage2 said:
    Thank you everyone for your helpful advice :)

I figured I was at the mercy of the hotel but wanted to see if anyone had run into this themselves or had any creative solutions or had a pleasant experience working with their hotels in some way or another.  

Yes my wedding is in Northern NJ; the tent is heated should it be a cold day; the venue is also in a rural location so amplified music has to end at 9pm - which also contributes to the earlier start.  

http://www.crossedkeys.com/ 

The venue does 50+ outdoor weddings a year dealing with all kinds of weather and having this earlier start time so I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had to make such an arrangement - so maybe my venue will have some advice for me as well.  

Thanks again everyone 

This place is my dream venue! I've been to several weddings there- that tent is extremely solid, perfectly comfortable in blistering heat or cold rain. 
  • MobKaz said:
    BiaPage2 said:

We have always been fortunate, on an individual basis, to get into our room before official check in time.  There is no possible way for you to arrange for your entire guest block to be afforded early check in.  I'm at a loss as to why you planned this arrangement.

What you can do is ask the hotel if you can pay for a hospitality suite or conference room in which guests can leave their personal belongings.  Depending on the amount of rooms you have booked, there may be a slight chance, and for a fee, you could arrange for your block to be prepared prior to the typical hotel cleaning scenario.  I'm surprised a shuttle service is being allowed to transport what is technically non-checked in guests. 

If I were a guest for your wedding, I would assume I would need to arrive the day prior to the wedding.

Where is your wedding being held that you can have an entirely outdoor event in late October?  What is your back up plan?

ETA.  I just saw that your wedding is in northern New Jersey.  I am going to (hopefully) assume that when you say "everything is outside", you mean the event is outside, but in a tent with space heaters.
    Completely unnecessary to pay for a hospitality suite for guests to store their luggage. It's a standard practice for hotels to store luggage for guests until their rooms are ready. 
  • MobKaz said:
    BiaPage2 said:

Completely unnecessary to pay for a hospitality suite for guests to store their luggage. It's a standard practice for hotels to store luggage for guests until their rooms are ready. 

QFT. Also, OP, I would guess most of your guests travelling will check in the night before. Honestly, I can't imagine trying to check in early Saturday for a wedding where I have to leave at 2pm. You have a hotel block, people can make their own plans.
  • Our hotel said guests could call and ask for an earlier check-in time once they booked their rooms. We had no issues.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• MobKaz said:
    BiaPage2 said:

Punctuation is not my friend today.  I meant offer a hospitality suite if guests needed to freshen up/change if traveling in the morning of the wedding.  The conference room reference poorly implied that if there were many guests unable to check in early, that perhaps the hotel could place all wedding luggage in one until guests were able to check in. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards