Getting in Shape

Wedding Workouts

Hey all! My big day is a little over 7 months away. I'm also a teacher, so in a few weeks, fitting in a workout will be a little more difficult. What kind of workouts do you all do to get fit for your wedding and how do you fit them into your daily schedule with work and life?

Re: Wedding Workouts

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The biggest thing for me with working out (in general) is to either sign up for some sort of class or make a schedule with someone else (friend, your FI) to work out. If left to my own devices I will find reasons why I can't exercise (I just ate, it's too hot, it's too late, I'd be out running alone...etc, etc) and have trouble prioritizing fitness over other things I think I *should* be doing (i.e. laundry, cleaning).

I've joined a Run Club two days per week. So I know every Wed at 6:30pm and Sunday at 8:30am I am going running; it also helps I've made a couple friends there, so when they ask if I'm coming Sunday and I tell them yes, I would feel bad if I didn't show up. I do run another day per week on my own, and I have it scheduled in my head for Friday after work, but there are definitely days where I have missed my run.

Another thing I really like are home workouts. It does take some internal motivation to make yourself do it (particularly if you do it alone), but there are a lot of great body weight exercises or exercises you can do with bands or light dumbbells at home. If you know you like to settle down at watch a TV show a few nights per week, try doing a workout while you're watching your show.
  • Different things work for different people. I have a hard time staying motivated and get bored easily. I already belonged to a gym, so I signed up for a personal trainer. We met twice a week, which helped force me to go to the gym more often. I also took spin classes in addition to my usual cardio. Also, I can't recommend Barre enough. It's a great class, and I noticed a difference in my tone pretty early on. 

Good luck! 
  • SP29 said:
    The biggest thing for me with working out (in general) is to either sign up for some sort of class or make a schedule with someone else (friend, your FI) to work out. If left to my own devices I will find reasons why I can't exercise (I just ate, it's too hot, it's too late, I'd be out running alone...etc, etc) and have trouble prioritizing fitness over other things I think I *should* be doing (i.e. laundry, cleaning).

I've joined a Run Club two days per week. So I know every Wed at 6:30pm and Sunday at 8:30am I am going running; it also helps I've made a couple friends there, so when they ask if I'm coming Sunday and I tell them yes, I would feel bad if I didn't show up. I do run another day per week on my own, and I have it scheduled in my head for Friday after work, but there are definitely days where I have missed my run.

Another thing I really like are home workouts. It does take some internal motivation to make yourself do it (particularly if you do it alone), but there are a lot of great body weight exercises or exercises you can do with bands or light dumbbells at home. If you know you like to settle down at watch a TV show a few nights per week, try doing a workout while you're watching your show.
    This.  So much this!  I purchased expensive gym equipment and made my spare bedroom into a gym!  Sometimes I'll walk on the treadmill but right now, for wedding prep - it's all the gym I pay extra to go to!

• Thanks everyone! I already have a gym membership but I keep making excuses and not going. I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and get over there because I know they have classes that I would probably enjoy. Maybe once I get into the routine I won't mind it so much.
  • I hit 21 day fix the last two months up to the wedding and followed the eating plan as well. It worked well to tone everything I wanted to tighten and I felt good in a bikini on the honeymoon. I also used to do hot yoga 4 days a week but that is a more time consuming thing to do, although it was the only time in my life I have had 6 pack abs so it works! I like the 21 day fix videos because they are half an hour and easy to do at home after work.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • To be entirely honest, the most important thing to do is just getting in a habit of not letting yourself find an excuse. There are classes you can take to keep you from getting bored, and having a workout buddy / trainer is always a good course of action, but at the end of the day you have to want it more than anything. And - if your not seeing the results you want as fast as you want, not letting that be a reason to give up. 

However that is not what you asked for in your original post. So, back to topic -

A really "easy" thing to do is what is known as "fasted cardio". Now it's easy in the sense that it can be done in a short amount of time, and it's great because it's really helpful for burning fat. The idea being that you get up and do some form of cardio (for a recommended time of at least 30 minutes) first thing when you wake up. You don't eat anything first nothing, that is important because your body has nothing saved up to use for energy save for your fat stores. A lot of people who are already in great shape use this tactic to take them a few steps further with respect to their physique goals. It's something I have incorporated into my fitness regimen at least 4 mornings out of the week. 

Good luck to you!
  • My school has started an after school workout group.  They're using the BeachBody videos, as many on them can be done in 25-30 mins without equipment.  They meet every day in the band room about 20mins after the bell rings.  Anyone who wants to do a workout can go, and it's done well before 4:30.  Try starting one at your school, and then you've got built in motivation.  

• Step one - determine that you're NOT going to just exercise for the wedding, get to looking/feeling good, then instantly quit!  You didn't get to the point you needed to purchase a "Twinkie Tax" gym membership, you got it because you wanted to make a physical transformation of some sort other than lightening up your wallet each month. 

Step two - after school each day, show up at the gym, make it a routine and part of your drive home.  Whether it's 10 minutes, 20 minutes, a half-hour, two hours, show up!  Keep your gym bag in the car.  Get a trainer once a week for a few months that can teach you the technical skills and build a routine for you.  Higher numbered/real resistance weights are your friend when it comes to the toning department.  Women cannot get "bulky" - we do not have enough testosterone running naturally in our systems to do so.  A good trainer will train themselves out of a job because you'll be able to show up to any gym (including at a hotel) at any time and know what to do. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards