Registry and Gift Forum

Bridal shower gift- no registry

I am attending a shower soon for a family member I was very close to growing up, but who I haven't seen often in adulthood. 

She is not registered and I know she will prefer cash for a wedding gift. Her future MIL is hosting the shower and as far as gifts go she requested guests bring something the couple could use on a night out or a romantic night in. 

I don't know the couple very well and I know the bride does not drink alcohol at all. I'm not sure what direction to go in... Lingerie? Just bring cash? Cash and a small gift? It would be awkward if I was the only one to buy something "kinky" but also kinda awkward if the gift opening was only cards (?) maybe just because I haven't been to a shower like that. I can only really think of gift cards as far as date nights out go! 

Any ideas? 

Re: Bridal shower gift- no registry

• What about a bottle of sparkling cider and a couple of champagne flutes?  You can personalize bottles to say Mr & Mrs (or anything else), have the flutes etched with their initials, whatever.

We got a set of fondue pots at my shower that we use whenever we want to go to the Melting Pot but don't feel like shelling out $100+, so that's also an idea.  Fondue is pretty easy to make and fun to indulge in at home with Netflix (IMO, of course).

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• edited August 2016
    If they like to cook and would cook meals together, anything for the kitchen is good. Maybe a "goodie box" with spices, sauces, gourmet foods, etc. (ask her FMIL about allergies/intolerances, and check labels to see if there's any alcohol).

Do they like sports, music, or theater? Maybe inexpensive tickets to an event?
  • Thanks everyone! I think the movie and popcorn baskets are super cute- but given the wording I did feel that they may get a lot of them! I really like the idea of games, my husband and I have played Cards Against Humanity with them before at family holidays etc. and they seem to enjoy it/laugh a lot
  • Binoculars, picnic blanket or basket, beach umbrella, cooler, fondue pot, and I'd make sure to buy it some place with a good return policy and include a gift receipt. 
  • I've given a night out before (dinner/movie) but not sure what your budget is.
  • maybe a couple of Blue Apron deliveries or something like that?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards