Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Can't Decide on Type of DW

We're from Michigan and would really like to get married on a sandy beach with clear blue water.  We're throwing around some locations in Florida, that each have their own set of pros and cons.

1. North Captiva Island- somewhat hard to get to, (ferry only) with a cost of $20-30 per person each way. Not much to do on the island for entertainment/eating. I think we're concerned people won't have fun or feel upset about using a vacation to come to an island like this.  People could rent houses and share to lessen the cost. It's also great for us because they do it all, and we wouldn't have to hire vendors for anything but decor and cake.

2. Sanibel Island- easier to access, but cost factors in for our budget and guests at this location. Would require us to find a photographer,dj, and the normal wedding vendors. 

3. Clearwater- about the same as #2, but the reception location would be different than the ceremony site. We saw that there is some sort of free  shuttle around Clearwater but not sure how reliable that is. 

The other completely random idea we're thinking of is, only inviting our parents and siblings and giving each couple $1000 towards a weekend stay at a Caribbean sandals resort. We'd get married there and everyone gets a hopefully more stress free experience. 

We kind of feel all over the place and I'm not sure why we're both having a hard time deciding. Seems like every time we're close to picking a location something comes up to make us change our minds again. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Re: Can't Decide on Type of DW

• Options
    Personally, I would never pick a place that would be hard for my guests to get to. You're making them fly to a location, and then figure out transportation to a ferry? And the ferry is the only way to get there? IMO, that's too much. That option would be out completely for me. 
  • Options
    justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
     We're from Michigan and would really like to get married on a sandy beach with clear blue water.  We're throwing around some locations in Florida, that each have their own set of pros and cons.

1. North Captiva Island- somewhat hard to get to, (ferry only) with a cost of $20-30 per person each way. Not much to do on the island for entertainment/eating. I think we're concerned people won't have fun or feel upset about using a vacation to come to an island like this.  People could rent houses and share to lessen the cost. It's also great for us because they do it all, and we wouldn't have to hire vendors for anything but decor and cake.

2. Sanibel Island- easier to access, but cost factors in for our budget and guests at this location. Would require us to find a photographer,dj, and the normal wedding vendors. 

3. Clearwater- about the same as #2, but the reception location would be different than the ceremony site. We saw that there is some sort of free  shuttle around Clearwater but not sure how reliable that is. 

The other completely random idea we're thinking of is, only inviting our parents and siblings and giving each couple $1000 towards a weekend stay at a Caribbean sandals resort. We'd get married there and everyone gets a hopefully more stress free experience. 

We kind of feel all over the place and I'm not sure why we're both having a hard time deciding. Seems like every time we're close to picking a location something comes up to make us change our minds again. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

I would decide who you *must* invite to the wedding for your and your FI, who could you not get married without, and ask them. From what you have put up here I think option #2 is easiest for the guests, I would scratch off #1 just because of the difficulty in coordinating paying for the ferry for all of your guests when they will probably be coming to the wedding at different times. 
  • Options
    I would eliminate #1 because it seems too complicated for your guests. Look around at resorts that have wedding packages.  You can probably find something that will provide all-inclusive wedding package with one of the resorts in Florida, to make planning easier.  Or even find a DW coordinator there to do all the coordinating of vendors for you.  Florida is a big location for destination weddings, so you should be able to find some sort of package that will make planning easier.

I included our parents & siblings in all of our DW discussions while we were coming up with a plan. My family is spread all over the US, so we wanted someplace that would be convenient travel for everyone.  We ended up choosing to get married on a cruise ship at port in New Orleans, which was actually suggested by my mother. Our families loved the idea (parents & siblings chose to cruise with us, some other guests just attended wedding without cruising) and their wedding package was all inclusive, so it made planning easy for me.  But, we discussed plans with all our VIP's all along the process before we booked anything.  We came up with a few options (at various locations and prices) and asked their opinions.  We got lucky and they unanimously all chose the same option, but we were willing to compromise our plans to make things most convenient for our guests.

• Options
    Good advice above. If it were me, I'd be looking at places with packages and shuttles. Because you will be planning from afar and people will be traveling, make it as ridiculously easy on both yourself and your guests as you can.

It does seem like Mexico and the Caribbean make planning and traveling very easy (albeit you have to follow their marriage laws and guests need passports). The only DW I'm familiar with in Florida was held because the couple's family and friends were from all over the country. The bride did all the usual planning (non-all-inclusive) but she had to do it from afar and make a few trips to see the vendors and whatnot. That's not a route I'd personally choose!   

• Options
    For option #1, you'd have to pay for the ferry, IMO, for each of your guests. If you're absolutely set on the idea of a DW, I would start by asking the VVIPs (people you can't imagine not having at your wedding) if that is something that would work for them and what their budget/date restrictions might be for that.
  • Options
    Try posting this on the Florida board.  The local ladies might have some good suggestions.  Do remember that hurricanes happen!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, definitely good food for thought! 
  • Options
    One more thing that occurred to me. People (internet strangers and potentially guests) are concerns about the cost/logistics of that ferry. However, have you priced out average plane tickets to various airports in Florida or other locations?
    If I could get a $200 ticket to Tampa, that plus a ferry is cheaper than a typical ticket to Miami, which could be $300+ depending on time of year. This is a generalization for sure, but just making the point to look at "total" potential costs wherever you go. 

• Options
    @AllyD, please don't bump old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards