Chit Chat

Have we done a "I don't get" thread recently?

Re: Have we done a "I don't get" thread recently?

• I don't get why USA and Canada can't combine to be one country?  There's no need for a border.  And then Southwest can fly to the former Canada area's and travel won't be so much.  

Also, I don't get why mid-grade hotels are so expensive. 
    For someone from Canada, I get the argument but the way U.S does things is so different that we need that boarder to differentiate things. Even the smallest things like weather are different {Celsius vs Fahrenheit}
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    I don't get why USA and Canada can't combine to be one country?  There's no need for a border.  And then Southwest can fly to the former Canada area's and travel won't be so much.  

Also, I don't get why mid-grade hotels are so expensive. 
    For someone from Canada, I get the argument but the way U.S does things is so different that we need that boarder to differentiate things. Even the smallest things like weather are different {Celsius vs Fahrenheit}
    I agree.  There would be some positives, but we're too different, I think, though in really small ways.  I love travelling, but every time we road trip to the US, there's something about crossing the border back home, even if we're nowhere near home.  It just feels different, and I'm not sure I can explain it well

ETA - Besides, Air Canada or Westjet would buy Southwest out and just jack prices anyway.  ;)

• kvruns said:
    (this one would go well in an UO thread too)....
    in honor of fall approaching and this stuff already being out in stores: I just don't get pumpkin everything. Pumpkin spice coffee, donuts, milk, ice cream, hair spray, laundry detergent (ok I might have made up the last two...or at least I hope I did)
    No joke, I was in Trader Joe's last fall and overheard a guy say to his SO, "You just want it because it's pumpkin." Hahaha.

On the kids topic, I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this but I don't get people who have multiple children and then complain about how tired/stressed/broke they are. You chose to have multiple children....???
    I also don't get people who have two kids just so their first can have a sibling. I think siblings, most of the time (not all) aren't all they're cracked up to be. I know very few people who are as close to their siblings as parents imagine they'll be. My sister and I could barely get along for 24 hours until, like, our 30s.
    And I don't get this. Are people not allowed to complain any more? Do (general) you ever complain about being tired or stressed after work? Well, you chose the job so you're not allowed to have a pity party! Do you ever complain about an expensive vet bill? Well, you chose to get a pet! Suck it up, buttercup! 

Children are tiring and stressful sometimes. People can love having and want multiple children and still have moments when they are exhausted and stressed and money is low. No one would ever have any children if they were never allowed to be tired stressed or have tight finances. 
    True, very fair point. Maybe I'm more reacting to the "sanctimommy" phenomenon. The attitude that I can't complain about being stressed at work because nothing compares to the stress of having 4 kids. 
    I think people like to one up and/or justify why they are more tired than someone else.

For example, everyone working at the club as been working a ton of hours.  Some of us have had no days off (dh's last day off was in may).   Some of us have 2 jobs.  Some of us have been working 16 hour days.     Everyone is so tired that we all seem to feel the need to explain why.    

I caught myself yesterday doing it.  I was called in my day off after I hiked a mountain and only had an hour to walk the dogs and get ready.    For some reason I felt the need to justify my tiredness to those people who are just as tired but for different reasons.

Human nature I guess.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't get most small talk/useless conversations when you don't give a shit.

Two of my coworkers greet me every morning and every afternoon in the most generic way possible. They both just walk passed my cube, on their way in or out and say "bye Adrieeeeeeeeeeeeeeenne" (always exactly the fucking same) as they're already gone or already talking to someone else. I understand asking the checkout clerk at the grocery store how he's doing, but walking down a hallway yelling out "morning. morning. morning" irritates me.

And the bosses pretend to care about my life, but obviously don't. Like, HUGE things in my life, they'll ask questions about, don't even pretend to listen to my answer or retain the info and then ask me the same question(s) again later. I swear the one guy asked me at least three times how my mom's cancer treatment was going before she died (she didn't do any treatment - went right into hospice after diagnosis). Dude just asked me again when I close on my house. Six months ago. I closed six fucking months ago.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • kvruns said:
    (this one would go well in an UO thread too)....
    in honor of fall approaching and this stuff already being out in stores: I just don't get pumpkin everything. Pumpkin spice coffee, donuts, milk, ice cream, hair spray, laundry detergent (ok I might have made up the last two...or at least I hope I did)
    No joke, I was in Trader Joe's last fall and overheard a guy say to his SO, "You just want it because it's pumpkin." Hahaha.

On the kids topic, I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this but I don't get people who have multiple children and then complain about how tired/stressed/broke they are. You chose to have multiple children....???
    I also don't get people who have two kids just so their first can have a sibling. I think siblings, most of the time (not all) aren't all they're cracked up to be. I know very few people who are as close to their siblings as parents imagine they'll be. My sister and I could barely get along for 24 hours until, like, our 30s.
    And I don't get this. Are people not allowed to complain any more? Do (general) you ever complain about being tired or stressed after work? Well, you chose the job so you're not allowed to have a pity party! Do you ever complain about an expensive vet bill? Well, you chose to get a pet! Suck it up, buttercup! 

Children are tiring and stressful sometimes. People can love having and want multiple children and still have moments when they are exhausted and stressed and money is low. No one would ever have any children if they were never allowed to be tired stressed or have tight finances. 
    True, very fair point. Maybe I'm more reacting to the "sanctimommy" phenomenon. The attitude that I can't complain about being stressed at work because nothing compares to the stress of having 4 kids. 
    I agree, that's annoying. But sancti-anything is annoying. Some of the sanctimommies are reacting to the sanctiregular-job-workers out of defense of their stay-at-home choice. I have heard people with no kids who work a regular job talk about how much they wish they could stay home all day. Or how fun it just be to be able to go anywhere and do whatever they want during the day. Stay-at-home moms are often demeaned about their choice (not saying you are doing that!) or it's seen as anti-feminist or wrong to choose that.
  • I don't get where people feel the need to comment on the age difference between my husband and I. Yes - there are 27 years between us (I'm 27, he's 54). No I don't have "daddy issues." No he's not my sugar daddy. Yes I still work and go to graduate school part time. Our relationship is really none of people's business and I've had to make that clear to multiple people. Our families are fine with us - these comments come from strangers!

I also get the comments about how I'll change my mind on having kids as well. I decided long before I got married that I don't want kids. Getting married has not changed that at all. All of my friends having babies has not changed that either.

The worst comment I've heard so far was from one of his friends - she told me that it was good I didn't want kids because at his age it wouldn't be fair to him or our children since he'd likely be too old to enjoy having children. Oh and that he'd probably pass away before our hypothetical child got through college. 

I guess I just don't get people, often strangers, deciding that its perfectly ok to come up to me and comment on my life. 
  • I don't get the people who find fault in EVERYTHING. I have a friend who is constantly facebooking about why every news article she reads is wrong/racist/anti-feminist/anti-motherhood/triggering/sexist/etc. It gets old. She is so full of herself. And when that's not enough she will comment on why she's so glad she can go out without having a drink since she's a former addict and obviously we are all crippled by having a drink at dinner.

The sanctimonious bullshit is high with this one.

• I don't get why people take photos of their feet while lounging in a beautiful spot on vacation.  I'd rather just see their faces or the view minus body parts.
    yeah, I'm not a foot person.  Beautifully painted or otherwise.

• I don't get how people think you can "turn" your child gay. A friend announced that she's going to put her son in dance class and one of my friends texted me asking "Is she trying to turn her son into a faggot?" Another one replied to her that she might as well buy him a dildo now. I am absolutely appalled at my friend even using the word faggot, but even more so at her thinking you can turn your child gay by putting him in dance classes. 
  • indigo26 said:
    I don't get where people feel the need to comment on the age difference between my husband and I. Yes - there are 27 years between us (I'm 27, he's 54). No I don't have "daddy issues." No he's not my sugar daddy. Yes I still work and go to graduate school part time. Our relationship is really none of people's business and I've had to make that clear to multiple people. Our families are fine with us - these comments come from strangers!

I also get the comments about how I'll change my mind on having kids as well. I decided long before I got married that I don't want kids. Getting married has not changed that at all. All of my friends having babies has not changed that either.

The worst comment I've heard so far was from one of his friends - she told me that it was good I didn't want kids because at his age it wouldn't be fair to him or our children since he'd likely be too old to enjoy having children. Oh and that he'd probably pass away before our hypothetical child got through college. 

I guess I just don't get people, often strangers, deciding that its perfectly ok to come up to me and comment on my life. 

My H and I are 17 years apart (I'm 36, he's 54). I would LOVE it if people would think the way of the bolded rather than insisting we'll change our mind about kids. I personally think my H is too old, honestly. Not necessarily because he'll die sooner (he's far healthier than I am), but because he'll never be able to retire. He'd have to start all over again with things. Having kids at 54 has huge financial implications and, contrary to the beliefs of some on here, I'm not wealthy enough to take that hit to our retirement plans.

As for the age difference, I don't get the daddy issues thing, but people do assume he's my sugar daddy and that I'm not intelligent. Last time I checked, we work for the same company pretty much doing the same job. In fact, I'm higher on the org chart. He makes more, but only because he is older.  Our finances are separate and I do not rely on him for much financially at all.

• fyrchk said:

I don't get the people who find fault in EVERYTHING. I have a friend who is constantly facebooking about why every news article she reads is wrong/racist/anti-feminist/anti-motherhood/triggering/sexist/etc. It gets old. She is so full of herself. And when that's not enough she will comment on why she's so glad she can go out without having a drink since she's a former addict and obviously we are all crippled by having a drink at dinner.

People like that are part of the reason I'm careful whom I tell (IRL) about my recovery or mental health issues. I don't want anyone making the assumption that I'm the same way.
  • indigo26 said:
    I don't get where people feel the need to comment on the age difference between my husband and I. Yes - there are 27 years between us (I'm 27, he's 54). No I don't have "daddy issues." No he's not my sugar daddy. Yes I still work and go to graduate school part time. Our relationship is really none of people's business and I've had to make that clear to multiple people. Our families are fine with us - these comments come from strangers!

My H and I are 17 years apart (I'm 36, he's 54). I would LOVE it if people would think the way of the bolded rather than insisting we'll change our mind about kids. I personally think my H is too old, honestly. Not necessarily because he'll die sooner (he's far healthier than I am), but because he'll never be able to retire. He'd have to start all over again with things. Having kids at 54 has huge financial implications and, contrary to the beliefs of some on here, I'm not wealthy enough to take that hit to our retirement plans.

As for the age difference, I don't get the daddy issues thing, but people do assume he's my sugar daddy and that I'm not intelligent. Last time I checked, we work for the same company pretty much doing the same job. In fact, I'm higher on the org chart. He makes more, but only because he is older.  Our finances are separate and I do not rely on him for much financially at all.

Not trying to say you'll change your mind, by my H's friend's parents are in there 60/70 - youngest son is 26. Age shouldn't matter IF you want kids. {unless doctor says otherwise}

Side note: @Jells2dot0  the daddy issue is always going to be there when there's an older guy. It's lame.
  • indigo26 said:

Not trying to say you'll change your mind, by my H's friend's parents are in there 60/70 - youngest son is 26. Age shouldn't matter IF you want kids. {unless doctor says otherwise}

Side note: @Jells2dot0  the daddy issue is always going to be there when there's an older guy. It's lame.

H is 54 and his youngest daughter is 21. So, he'll be almost 60 with a 26 year old. I said *personally* I felt he was too old to have a baby and be starting over. People do it, but I don't think it suits our situation at all. And we don't want kids (well, for him, anymore kids) and can't have kids, so there is that!

• fyrchk said:

I don't get the people who find fault in EVERYTHING. I have a friend who is constantly facebooking about why every news article she reads is wrong/racist/anti-feminist/anti-motherhood/triggering/sexist/etc. It gets old. She is so full of herself. And when that's not enough she will comment on why she's so glad she can go out without having a drink since she's a former addict and obviously we are all crippled by having a drink at dinner.

People like that are part of the reason I'm careful whom I tell (IRL) about my recovery or mental health issues. I don't want anyone making the assumption that I'm the same way.

I doubt you would be the same way. Just from reading your posts here you don't come across as looking down on everyone. :)
  • Oh, I have another "I don't get it" topic- why all the Gabby Douglas hate? Oh my gosh. Even my best friend said last week she was "irritated with" her. What in the world? She's a two-time Olympian in a sport where repeat appearances are rather rare. She did a great routine in the team event when it counted (as did Kocian) and she's not the first to miss an all-around due to the two-per-country rule (remember Jordyn Weiber sobbing in 2012?).  This is not the way for Gabby to be treated at this point in her career. Geez! 

• @eileenrob I don't mind the baby pics, I love them.  But I do unfollow the booger/poop posters.  Nope.  That's my mom-line.

And I love my sister, but she's become a sancti-mommy and it drives me nuts.  I have apparently 0 empathy for people or "just don't get it" because I don't have a child, regardless of my almost 37 years on this planet.  So my mom-related "I don't get it" are the moms like her who upon birth stopped seeing non-moms as equals.
  • @eileenrob I don't mind the baby pics, I love them.  But I do unfollow the booger/poop posters.  Nope.  That's my mom-line.

And I love my sister, but she's become a sancti-mommy and it drives me nuts.  I have apparently 0 empathy for people or "just don't get it" because I don't have a child, regardless of my almost 37 years on this planet.  So my mom-related "I don't get it" are the moms like her who upon birth stopped seeing non-moms as equals.
    One of my best friends is like this. I work with babies every day at work. I'm not a mom yet but I know how babies function and how to soothe kids and what works and what doesn't for a range of kids (obviously not every kid ever.) she has told me several times I don't understand things bc I'm not a mom, that I'm wrong about the necessity of a wipe warmer bc I'm not a mom and I obviously don't know the stress of diaper changing in the middle of the night on a baby (I work night shift), and I just don't understand why she can't leave her baby with a babysitter when the kid is 10 months old bc I'm not a parent and I don't understand attachment. Oh and that daycare is evil bc her kid went for two months and was sick with a cold right away. So she had to pull her out bc what kind of place is good for a kid where she keeps getting colds? (In the course of two months). 

I have plenty of friends who became parents that didn't become assholes and shitty friends and I still see them all the time, so I know this is on her. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • indigo26 said:

H is 54 and his youngest daughter is 21. So, he'll be almost 60 with a 26 year old. I said *personally* I felt he was too old to have a baby and be starting over. People do it, but I don't think it suits our situation at all. And we don't want kids (well, for him, anymore kids) and can't have kids, so there is that!
    We're pretty sure he can't have kids - I'm wife number four and he and previous wives found that he has fertility issues. Ended up being a deal-breaker for one of his marriages. But beyond that, I have zero desire to have children. I pretty much raised my two younger brothers as a teen so I'm happy to indulge his former stepchildren's children and still be free to go home and enjoy a margarita in my quiet house. I just couldn't believe that one of his friends would make a comment that basically boiled down to "Oh he's going to die soon, so why bother?"

And yea, sometimes I want to look at people and tell them that by the time I finish my education, I will make more than he does. I already have better health benefits - he's on my health plan because of that. 
  • fyrchk said:
    fyrchk said:

I doubt you would be the same way. Just from reading your posts here you don't come across as looking down on everyone. :)
    You are so sweet! Thank you!  :)
  • I don't get how people think you can "turn" your child gay. A friend announced that she's going to put her son in dance class and one of my friends texted me asking "Is she trying to turn her son into a faggot?" Another one replied to her that she might as well buy him a dildo now. I am absolutely appalled at my friend even using the word faggot, but even more so at her thinking you can turn your child gay by putting him in dance classes. 
    What was your response to both of them? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sherbie25 said:
    I don't get how people think you can "turn" your child gay. A friend announced that she's going to put her son in dance class and one of my friends texted me asking "Is she trying to turn her son into a faggot?" Another one replied to her that she might as well buy him a dildo now. I am absolutely appalled at my friend even using the word faggot, but even more so at her thinking you can turn your child gay by putting him in dance classes. 
    What was your response to both of them? 
    That dance is good for boys because it teaches them discipline and coordination and that it's common for athletes to take dance classes. The one that used the f-word (so gross) is my MOH and I knew that she was a conservative christian, but I never knew that she thought this way. It has made me seriously reconsider our friendship.
  • banana468 said:
    I really try to be the mom who may post kid photos but knows that I also have this little thing called a full time job too. 

And yeah - I'm freaking tired.   My work is wearing me out during the day and my toddler waking me up 4 times at night isn't helping my cause. 

The 'i don't get' with kids happened a few weeks ago when the HFM outbreak went through daycare and some mom talked to the director and asked her how she let it happen.   How SHE let it happen??   Kids get HFM.   They just do.   Kids get sick.   It's part of life.     
    On that note, I don't understand people who bring their sick kids to events. I get it sometimes, especially if you are literally out of options.  Not everyone can afford to stay home from work with their sick kid.  Sometimes you do what you have to do for your family, even if it's not in the best interest of others.  But you bring your kid with chicken pox to a birthday party?  GTFO.  

• levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    I really try to be the mom who may post kid photos but knows that I also have this little thing called a full time job too. 

And yeah - I'm freaking tired.   My work is wearing me out during the day and my toddler waking me up 4 times at night isn't helping my cause. 

The 'i don't get' with kids happened a few weeks ago when the HFM outbreak went through daycare and some mom talked to the director and asked her how she let it happen.   How SHE let it happen??   Kids get HFM.   They just do.   Kids get sick.   It's part of life.     
    On that note, I don't understand people who bring their sick kids to events. I get it sometimes, especially if you are literally out of options.  Not everyone can afford to stay home from work with their sick kid.  Sometimes you do what you have to do for your family, even if it's not in the best interest of others.  But you bring your kid with chicken pox to a birthday party?  GTFO.  
    When I do this it's a cold.  If I stayed home every time my kid had a runny nose I'd be out of the house 10 days a year.  Chicken pox should be mostly out of here if people would just vaccinate.    

Last year DH and I gave up two tickets to go to "the North Pole" because DS was puking that day.   I was pissed that we were out $60 but there was no way we were taking a gamble that he wouldn't have an episode on a train filled with kids and their parents two weeks before Christmas.  

• banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:

When I do this it's a cold.  If I stayed home every time my kid had a runny nose I'd be out of the house 10 days a year.  Chicken pox should be mostly out of here if people would just vaccinate.    

Last year DH and I gave up two tickets to go to "the North Pole" because DS was puking that day.   I was pissed that we were out $60 but there was no way we were taking a gamble that he wouldn't have an episode on a train filled with kids and their parents two weeks before Christmas.  

I think I shared this before, but at one of my early b-day parties, one of the parents brought their kid with chicken pox.  It was before the vaccination came out.  One dad ended up in the hospital for a week, and one of the pregnant moms contracted it as well. All because the mom thought it "wasn't a big deal" and "everyone should have to get it sometime."  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards