Chit Chat

Idiot swimmers

scribe95scribe95
Moderator Knottie Warrior 5000 Comments 500 Love Its
mod
edited August 2016 in Chit Chat
Can we talk about the idiot U.S. swimmers who apparently made up a robbery story and turned it into an international incident? 

I don't even understand the purpose or reason for making up the lie. So they were drunk, broke down a door, got into a fight, paid for the door. Done, go back to bed and move on. Why the need to even make up a story? 
charlotte989875eileenrobSP29MairePoppy

Re: Idiot swimmers

• CharmedPamCharmedPam Chicagoburbs
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    but they sure are purdy.....

• kylexokylexo Finger Lakes, NY
    500 Love Its Third Anniversary 100 Comments Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    but they sure are purdy.....
    haha Lochte definitely has that going for him....best looking idiot at the Olympics
    MissKittyDanger
  • kimmiinthemittenkimmiinthemitten Detroit, MI
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary 5 Answers
    I'm pretty sure Lochte just like headlines.
    eileenrobemmaaaOliveOilsMom
  • This is ridiculous. There are substantial problems with crime in Rio, and these idiots waste time and resources making up this story. I agree, @scribe95 it's a disgrace.
    kimmiinthemittenSP29MairePoppy
  • scribe95 said:
    I wonder if Lochte just told Mom a crazy story and didn't know she would tell reporters and then suddenly it's out and he's making it up as he goes along? Either way, what a disgrace. 
    that's the explanation I've heard. That a lie was told to cover it up (why he had to cover anything up or tell mom anything idk) and it grew from there. and I wonder too did they all lie or plan to lie or was it just Lochte? we hear the most about him but I dont know if it is just because he is the most famous or what

• atomicblondeatomicblonde The Shire
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    scribe95 said:
    What does everyone think of the swimmers being pulled off the plane? Lots of people in arms about how Americans shouldn't be detained. I think, you aren't in America. You are in another country and their laws rule. Tough luck buttercup.
    They lied to police and impeded an investigation.  Wouldn't LEOs here do the same thing?

I've actually had a gun pointed at my head, and let me tell you, it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.  I couldn't tell you if it was cocked or not, but I can most certainly confirm that it was real.  It's not something you easily forget or shrug off or react to flippantly ("Whatever").  That leaves a lasting impact.

I can't imagine why anyone would needlessly make something like that up.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

kimmiinthemitten
  • lyndausvilyndausvi Western Slope, Colorado
    Moderator Tenth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its
    mod
    edited August 2016
    scribe95 said:
    What does everyone think of the swimmers being pulled off the plane? Lots of people in arms about how Americans shouldn't be detained. I think, you aren't in America. You are in another country and their laws rule. Tough luck buttercup.
    For the most part I agree with this.  But like everything there are exceptions.

ETA - this situation isn't one of those exceptions.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
    charlotte989875eileenrobSP29
  • climbingwifeclimbingwife NYC 'burbs
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    scribe95 said:
    If you do something stupid in a foreign country, be prepared to face the consequences, i.e. being yanked off your flight home. I don't blame the Brazilian authorities for doing that. 

DrillSergeantCateileenrobSP29MairePoppy
  • spockforprezspockforprez Virginia
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I thought maybe Lochte was bitter about Phelps's crazy gold streak (they have frequently been compared in the past) and made it up for attention/headlines, but I like the "told my mom a lie to cover up my drunken idiot behavior" story a little better. It would be hard to rope in the 3 others just to spite Phelps, but mom going to the press I can believe.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    floridabride44
  • The story now I can see how he just morphed it a bit in his mind - damaged bathroom; security wouldn't let them leave while police called; one of the guards had a gun; then they paid for damage in cash and were allowed to leave. 
    scribe95 said:
    I wonder if Lochte just told Mom a crazy story and didn't know she would tell reporters and then suddenly it's out and he's making it up as he goes along? Either way, what a disgrace. 
    I guess I still don't get this explanation either. Why tell the mom anything, let alone a trumped up victim story?  
  • scribe95 said:
    I guess I still don't get this explanation either. Why tell the mom anything, let alone a trumped up victim story?  
    Ryan Lochte isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, you know?

JA! Or whatever his dumbass saying was from the last Olympics.
    DrillSergeantCateileenrob
    scribe95 said:
    Lol FI said the same thing when I got home!
    DrillSergeantCat
  • Some people just lie. It's a thing. They exaggerate and make themselves more than what they are. Clearly that is Lochte.
  • fyrchk said:
    scribe95 said:

JA! Or whatever his dumbass saying was from the last Olympics.

Excuse me? It is "Jeah" and it is magic. 
    fyrchk
  • Some people just can't help themselves, can they?  He's a world class athlete.  Who was just in Rio.  At the OLYMPICS!!!  Won a gold medal (at least I think he did).

He should be walking on water (pun intended) and basking in the glory.  But instead, over stupid and pointless lies, he causes an international incident and turns himself into a laughing stock.

The fairy tale goal is to weave "straw into gold".  Not the other way around. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2016
    The more that comes out about this the more frustrated I am. They damaged property, they were disruptive, they lied about it. It almost seems as if they thought it would all get swept under the rug  or they if they said they were robbed no one would find out they caused problems because Brazil is so dangerous and crime ridden. 

It just seems so arrogant to me. 

scrunchythief
  • Is he the one that had/has a reality show on E?  I feel like there are two groups of people: E reality stars, and everybody else.  :#
  • Thank God I married a man with brains, not big muscles!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • HeatherKatHeatherKat the Frozen Tundra
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper
    Yes, because you can't be both athletically inclined and also intelligent.
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

TrixieJessDrillSergeantCatKeptInStitches
  • CMGragainCMGragain
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary 25 Answers
    edited August 2016
    Yes, because you can't be both athletically inclined and also intelligent.
    Never said this.  I dated an Adonis with big muscles once - dumb as a post.   I had a physical education major for my college roommate -  wonderful, intelligent lady and lifelong friend.  I am simply attracted to nerds.

You can't tell me that the behavior of Lochte, et al is intelligent?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • climbingwifeclimbingwife NYC 'burbs
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    CMGragain said:
    Thank God I married a man with brains, not big muscles!
    And thankfully I married a man with BOTH. I'm not sure if you're aware, but that is possible! 

charlotte989875DrillSergeantCat
  • Yeah, the comment made it sound like you can't be both an athlete with muscles and a brain. Just pushing a stereotype.
    DrillSergeantCat
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards