Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Any thoughts?

So we have been tossing around the idea of having FI uncle be our officiant.  He has said how much it would mean to him and as we are not affiliated with any specific house of worship it isn't a big deal to us religiously.  I have no real problem with it, however, every time I call teh court house to speak with someone or research it online I get dead ends. 
Has anyone done this/doing this that could give me some tips if it is something that we do pursue.  I just don't want to find out 10 years from now it turned out to illegal. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Any thoughts?

• If he's ordained/certified, it shouldn't be a problem. Other than that, I'm not sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Get a self uniting license and then it doesn't matter who your officiant is. We're doing this with FI's sister as our officiant and had no problem getting a license. PA won't recognize online ordainment but they will let you marry yourself with two witnesses. Search this board for more info.
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_any-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:61060f9b-03a1-4aaa-a3c6-cad074908770Post:3ac60ad5-3d8b-4376-a7da-6ed1b41a84e2">Re: Any thoughts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Get a self uniting license and then it doesn't matter who your officiant is. We're doing this with FI's sister as our officiant and had no problem getting a license. PA won't recognize online ordainment but they will let you marry yourself with two witnesses. Search this board for more info.
    Posted by Flowerstar1023[/QUOTE]

This
  • My friend is having her cousin marry them.  It depends on the county where you're getting married, but her cousin was ordained online, and the county in which they're getting married allows that.
  • @jessmccoy I have never heard of a county in PA having such laws.  Which county is it?? Are you sure they didn't have a "Self-Uniting" license and just use the cousin as an officiant?

The entire state allows you to use anyone, ordained or no, as your officiant so long as you have a "self-uniting" license and have 2 witnesses sign.
  • @mdphd I'm not sure, it may have been a self-uniting license.  All I know is that she checked with the county and her cousin is officiating.
  • Yeah, you need the self-uniting license to have someone who is not officially ordained "marry" you. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for posting this, lpowers1118. My FI and I have a mutual friend from California that was ordained online. He has performed two weddings in CA but now I am going to double check that he is "officially" able to do ours in PA. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards