Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Changing hair between ceremony and reception

Has anyone had experience with/been witness to a bride changing her hair in between the ceremony and reception? I have long, relatively thick wavy hair that's prone to frizz. I recently bought my dress and decided having my hair down or half up/half down would look the best with my neckline and accessories. I don't, however, want my hair hanging down on my neck and back during the reception because I plan on dancing a lot and don't want to become a sweaty,frizzy mess in photos!! My sister suggested taking a few minutes during the cocktail hour to go up to the bridal suite and having either a talented friend or hairstylist quickly convert my ceremony style into an updo so I don't look a fright. I figure if my hair is already curled/styled for the ceremony it shouldn't take a terribly long time and I would definitely be more comfortable for the rest of the evening but I've never heard of a bride doing this. I know dress changes are common but not hair changes! Has anyone ever heard of someone doing this? Does it sound plausible given the time limits? My fiance and I are doing a first look and formal shots before the ceremony so I should have some wiggle room but I'm not sure. Any advice would be great!

Re: Changing hair between ceremony and reception

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    No I've never heart of this, but I think it'd be doable. You can do pretty much anything in life if you're willing to pay for it ;).

I think it depends on how many photos you are planning on doing during your cocktail hour. I would be sure not to take longer than your cocktail hour and not make guests wait to get your hair done.

If your hair is already curled, shouldn't take TOO long to pull it up, but I guess it depends on exactly what you want. I would expect 15-20 mins. My hair sounds similar to yours. Any up-dos I've gotten have taken about an hour, but you are right that most of that is the "prep" work.

Would the stylist you are having do your hair for your ceremony be available for the transition? I think that would be the quickest transition as (s)he knows your hair, and you can also discuss before hand and have a plan so that your first style flows into the creation of the second style.
  • A friend of my daughter did this for her wedding except I think it was in reverse. She had an undo for the ceremony then had a partial undo for the reception (or maybe it was the other way around). As PP has said, it should definitely be doable if you are willing to pay for it.
  • I've seen it done on wedding shows. Talk to your hairstylist about ideas on how you can easily convert your down hair to an updo or an elegant ponytail that will hold up to dancing.
  • A friend of my daughter did this for her wedding except I think it was in reverse. She had an undo for the ceremony then had a partial undo for the reception (or maybe it was the other way around). As PP has said, it should definitely be doable if you are willing to pay for it.
    Yes, whenever I searched the forums or Google for people who did this, they usually started with it up and pulled out a few pins after the ceremony to make it into a more casual, flowing look. I wish I could leave it down the whole time! It's definitely something I am willing to pay for because I want to be comfortable!
  • Ironring said:
    At the worst case scenario, I can see you pulling it up into a fancy ponytail since it's already curled. That definitely wouldn't take long and is something you could easily figure out ahead of time. 
    This is a great idea.
  • I picture something like this. 

• I think this is doable. If you are having a trial, time the change and then you'll know.
  • My SIL did the reverse.  She had it in an undo for the ceremony, then took out a few pins for a pony tail (maybe a braided one) that dropped to one side.     I can't think of a reason why the opposite couldn't be done.      She works at a salon, so there were plenty of people who changed up her look.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    My SIL did the reverse.  She had it in an undo for the ceremony, then took out a few pins for a pony tail (maybe a braided one) that dropped to one side.     I can't think of a reason why the opposite couldn't be done.      She works at a salon, so there were plenty of people who changed up her look.
    Yes, when I googled this topic pretty much every response I saw was a bride who had done it up for ceremony/down for the reception as well. I think that's more common.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards