Just Engaged and Proposals

Stressing about picking a date

My fiance and I are recently engaged (yay!) but, guys....I am stressing hardcore about WHEN to have the wedding.
Nothing works well. 
Summer 2017...moving for FH job (unsure where he'll get sent)
Spring 2017... FH is graduating and we basically have weddings every weekend.
Winter 2017...FH has loads of work to do for graduation. 

Fall 2017 is too far away for me...my dad will be 70. We want to start having kids next summer. 

I know something has to give, but what is it? Any recommendations?

Re: Stressing about picking a date

• I don't get why fall 2017 is too far away. That's basically a year from now. Not sure what you're dad's age has to do with it? And put off trying to have kids for just a few months. 
  • I'm with climbingwife...Fall 2017 sounds like the perfect date for you. And sooner than Winter 2017, which is one of the other options, right? A year is a good way to not feel rushed and make sure your wedding is how you want it!

• Congratulations on your engagement!

I agree with climbingwife. Fall 2017 is about a year out. Pretty typical engagement timeline. Ours was 14 months and it FLEW by. If I were you, I would just plan for Fall 2017 - the rest of the stuff you have going on between now and then are going to keep you plenty busy and a year is a good amount of time to plan.

Is there some reason you feel you need to start trying to have kids next summer? Are you against trying before the wedding? If you want to be married before trying, will a couple months really throw your timeline off that much?

Your dad's age should not even be a consideration. If you got married Spring 2017, he'd only be 6 months younger than if you get married in Fall 2017. Not that big of a change... Take this off your consideration list.

*********************************************************************************

• I'm with everyone else, Fall of 2017 isn't all the far off.

Not sure what your dad's age as to do with anything.  Age and health do not always go hand and hand.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Another vote for Fall 2017.

Or, have a short engagement and plan something for late fall this year. My dad and his FI planned their wedding (which is this September) in 3 months.

Where do you live now? Is it in one of your hometowns where your family lives? You could still plan a wedding for Summer 2017 and do it in your hometown, so it won't matter where you move to. Most of the big planning (venue and vendors) will be settled by then.

Otherwise, I don't see how anything else but Fall 2017 will work as you've given a reason why any time before that doesn't.
  • We decided on summer 2016 instead of 2015 as we wanted a summer wedding.  Trust me you will be SO thankful of the extra time to save and plan. Almost every couple goes over budget!
  • My fiance and I are recently engaged (yay!) but, guys....I am stressing hardcore about WHEN to have the wedding.
    Nothing works well. 
    Summer 2017...moving for FH job (unsure where he'll get sent)
    Spring 2017... FH is graduating and we basically have weddings every weekend.
    Winter 2017...FH has loads of work to do for graduation. 

Fall 2017 is too far away for me...my dad will be 70. We want to start having kids next summer. 

I know something has to give, but what is it? Any recommendations?
    I think Winter 2017 was a typo and she meant Winter 2016, as she mentions work he has to do for graduation (which is happening Spring 2017).

OP, I think Fall 2017 sounds like it's going to work best for you. A few months won't matter for TTC. And you dad will only be slightly older then than in the spring or summer.

Or, plan for winter knowing that he'll be too busy to help plan much (if he's ok with that).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards