Destination Weddings Discussions

Puerto Rico wedding! Zika virus

i'm getting married in Puerto Rico on September 10, 2016 and everyday losing more of my wedding guests due to Zika. My fiancé poor guy is really in arms about it even though he's trying to hide it because it's mostly his guests that are dropping out. We've sent out invites since May and people who have already rsvp'ed are now dropping out because of it. I'm getting kinda worried it's already a small wedding and I don't want it to get smaller. Anyone else experiencing this? How are you dealing with? Any ways to cheer up my fiancée or some kinda cute way to incorporate the guests he wants without them being there? 

Re: Puerto Rico wedding! Zika virus

• Is there any way to set up a Skype session so those who cannot attend can see the ceremony?

I personally am not dealing with this, as I am already married and did not marry in the Caribbean. I'd personally not let it change my travel plans, but I totally understand why some might. I'm not sure there is much you can do, as it's ultimately up to the guests and how comfortable they feel about the situation. However, if you have people asking about it, I'd direct them to the CDC website or suggest they speak with their doctor. There is a lot of misinformation out there, but there is also risk for certain groups of people.

• Thank you for replying. I understand it but i'm just freaking out a little bit because the resort we have chosen has rooms depending on guest count and people are dropping out the last 3 weeks before the wedding that's my only frustration. Since its destination I already respected that no everyone would attend I completely understand but these people already booked rooms and flights and one was even in the actual wedding party. It broke my poor fiancées heart when his childhood friend dropped out because his wife was scared of Zika. But it is what it is i'm happy to be getting married even if it's in a room with just my future husband, my son and myself. 
  • Thank you for replying. I understand it but i'm just freaking out a little bit because the resort we have chosen has rooms depending on guest count and people are dropping out the last 3 weeks before the wedding that's my only frustration. Since its destination I already respected that no everyone would attend I completely understand but these people already booked rooms and flights and one was even in the actual wedding party. It broke my poor fiancées heart when his childhood friend dropped out because his wife was scared of Zika. But it is what it is i'm happy to be getting married even if it's in a room with just my future husband, my son and myself. 

I guess I don't completely understand the bolded. Do you mean that you had a room block and that if people cancel, then you may have to pay more? I know some group room blocks provide freebies if you have a certain number of guests, like free room for the couple or free wedding package. if you don't meet that specific number, you'll have to talk to the resort about it or have your travel agent (if you used one) work on it for you.

When having a DW, you ALWAYS run the risk of people having to cancel for various reasons. Actually, any wedding has that issue. I had a few no-shows myself! It sucks that it was someone in the wedding party, but I think you just have to respect the reasoning. It was absolutely not done out of spite or disrespect to you. Maybe you can consider having an informal get together with his group of friends that backed out when you return?

• Yes we had a room block for the amount of guests already it's just sticky situation. We are trying to keep the costs the same with the agency we worked with. But unfortunately it wasn't like a couple or 1 guests it's about 10 guests who have dropped from a guest count of 30. If I could redo this all over again I would do no guests. The reason we didn't even attempt a stateside wedding was because 1 of the costs we have a small child and 2 because people flake it's inevitable. Since this was totally out of our control we would have to see what happens people are getting fussy about refunds but they knew they weren't getting them back once they booked. I'm just trying to be nice about it like I understand your concerns I haven't put pressure on anyone talk to the agency and see what you can do. I guess I just have to see how this pans out. 
  • I'm not really sure what's going on with the rooms but I think if there is anything you can do you should help people get refunds. 
  • I'm very sorry to hear about this. My wedding is scheduled for April in Cancun, and already people are buzzing about Zika, so I have kept myself very up-to-date about the latest research. Spreading this information to your guests may be helpful:
    • People who are already pregnant should not travel to Zika-infested places
    • Men AND women who travel to places infected with Zika who show no signs of infection should use protection for 2 months after
    • Men AND women who travel to places infected with Zika and show signs of infection should use protection for 6 months after
    • Most popular resorts (especially all-inclusives) spray for mosquitos on a daily basis. As long as you don't leave those resorts to go into cities or jungles, you should be fine.
    • Everyone should wear bug spray with Deet to avoid bites
    I personally am keeping my fingers crossed for a vaccine to come out soon, but I doubt at this point it will be ready for your wedding next month (although with Zika spreading in FL the CDC is making it a top priority). 

Regardless of who makes it or not, at the end of the day you are going to be married, and that's truly all that matters. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards