Not Engaged Yet

GTKY - Come out and play!

Work is driving me nuts right now and I swear NEY is the only thing keeping me sane.

What does your dream engagement ring look like? If you're engaged/married, what did you always THINK you wanted in an e-ring?

How do you and your SO handle finances? How do you think it will change when you're married if you're not already?

What makes this relationship better than any previous one you've had?

Your budget is $350,000. What home do you buy?

Where do you see yourself in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?

What do you consider your short term, mid-term, and long-term goals?

Re: GTKY - Come out and play!

• @minskat30 Ughhh fuck that!! It really makes me grateful for our low COL housing!

@speakeasy14 I did, but this time I wanted to see what people would buy for themselves based on a certain budget. Not just what was available. ;) I love the colors of that home!

• @labro haha gotcha! -- The house I picked has the same colors as the house I grew up in, but that porch :-D
  • What does your dream engagement ring look like? If you're engaged/married, what did you always THINK you wanted in an e-ring? I got the ring I always dreamed of, it was more than perfect actually.

How do you and your SO handle finances? How do you think it will change when you're married if you're not already? We have a joint checking/savings and each have our checking/savings accounts.

What makes this relationship better than any previous one you've had? It's so easy, it's hard to explain.  He is so wonderful and makes me so incredibly happy. 

Your budget is $350,000. What home do you buy?  I really would not be able to buy anything decent with that budget around here.... it sucks.

Where do you see yourself in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years? I really don't know, lately I've been so focused on the day to day

What do you consider your short term, mid-term, and long-term goals? Bring a live baby into this world, other than that just being happy.

Anniversary

• @AlPacina I can't recall if I've ever seen a photo of your house before! It's beautiful!!!

• AlPacinaAlPacina member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    @labro & @TwoDimes - Omigosh, thank you! I really do just want to live there forever.

• @Keisha84 I Just can't even imagine the home prices. Between you and @peaseblossom55 who can't even find anything available in her area for that price point...it absolutely BLOWS my mind!

• @Keisha84  are your looking in the city or outside? I hear North York is cheaper-ish

What does your dream engagement ring look like? If you're engaged/married, what did you always THINK you wanted in an e-ring?
    I never wanted something plain. I wanted something different. For years I wanted something sapphire - birthstone - but when I saw my e-ring I fell in love with it. 

How do you and your SO handle finances? How do you think it will change when you're married if you're not already?
    We discuss budget but given my job, I actually make up the budget. It's just easier and more organized. Only joint account is for mortgage/property tax/condo fees

It started with little things. He would be there after work just to walk the couple blocks before heading home. Then things were just smoother than other relationships. No questioning things.

I still would get the home I bought, which was only $191k after everything

1 year - we're going to TTC and I'm going to start my counseling course.
    5 years - Hopefully done another course through work
    10 years - MAYBE another course.

Depends on the goal. TTC in a year is a mid-term goal but we have short-term goals to reach that goal. Things we need/want to do.

Short - 6 months
    Mid - 1-2 yrs
    Long - 5+yrs
  • edited August 2016
    @labro I could find a home for $350K in my town/area but it would be a smaller home and a downgrade  1/2 of the bedrooms, bathrooms and square footage.

Anniversary

• @Peaseblossom55 That's totally fair. It's like, if you didn't WANT to buy something at that price then why would you? Here it gets you a pretty nice house so I tried to choose a number that seemed reasonable lol. Guess that doesn't work out so much!

• @labro yea NJ sucks sometimes....

Anniversary

• @Peaseblossom55 just jump the border and we can be neighbors.  Lower taxes too!  

• @speakeasy14 we thought about it when we were home buying but it puts us further from family and for work for H.

Anniversary

• @labro it's absolutely crazy. A million gets you an old as hell semi detached that needs to be gutted

@MissKittyDanger I'm actually looking in Brampton. Even then for a three bedroom detach I'm looking at $450k+. It's still a lot but much better than Toronto 

• cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    @goldenpenguin - Your ring is just too gorgeous! And I will come visit you at your RI house.... <3
    @labro - I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO HAVE LIL LABROS!
    @alpacina - That house is adorable :)

I'm late, but I'm playing.... ;)

Here's my dream engagement ring, if I could do it all over again.
    I knew that I wanted something simple, not overly ornate. I did not realize how much I would come to LOVE bling.... so now that I have it, I want more, but I still very much love my (second) simple e-ring.

Our finances have evolved quite a bit over time, as we continue to figure out what works for us individually and as a couple. We got a joint account after we got engaged. We now use that as our main account for expected bills. We have a second account for 'travel/gift' savings (meaning, we know it will be spent, we do not expect that account to continually grow). And then the remainder of our paychecks goes into our spending account, which we use for dinners out, online purchases, etc. This is after we already account for both our 401ks and another savings account.

How much we truly LIKE each other. I am completely myself around him and it is a wonderful feeling. We are very much opposites in a lot of ways, but it makes life even better, instead of being a hindrance.

It has a pool and an awesome screened porch. It needs new counters and the fireplace needs some TLC but the bones of the house are great.

1 year - living in Charlotte with new jobs for both H and I
    5 years - still living in Charlotte, both of us with promotions (I could see me working for my friend for 3 years, then finding a job at another agency). H and I will have bought a (small) second home on a lake
    10 years - I would like to be a CxO (CMO/COO) in 10 years, or a VP at the very least. Perhaps by then we'll have moved my MIL out to live near us in NC. We'll be making retirement plans (H would love to retire by 55, which is only 14 years away. I think we'll need to work 20, but we'll see). I'd love to sell our main house and live in our second house.

Short-term: Find H a job in Charlotte
    Mid-term: Pay off my student loan. Buy a second home. Load up our 401ks so that retirement is a real possibility.
    Long-term: Perhaps buy property that we can rent. We talk about going into business for ourselves, but haven't found that one idea that excites us enough to do it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• labro said:
    What does your dream engagement ring look like?

Have a look at my selection of 15 best promise rings for couples.
    I’m replying mostly to show off my first website. I’ve also started a blog for it and these are my articles until now:

·         History of Promise Rings

·         How to Choose a Promise Ring

·         Why Should You Buy a Promise Ring

·         How to Wear a Promise Ring

Hopefully you or someone else will find this useful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards