Outdoor Weddings

Outdoor Ceremony/ Cocktail Hour

We are having an outdoor ceremony at my dad's farm, and we are going to host a cocktail hour there as well because of time constraints at our reception venue. We plan to rent a tent for the cocktail hour which can be used as a back up plan for the whole ceremony in the event of rain. My issue is this - originally we had looked into renting a floor for the tent as well to make guests comfortable, but it is so expensive that I'm not sure I can justify it for one hour of the night. Is it acceptable to alert guests that this is going to be a rustic outdoor venue or do I have to bite the bullet and get the flooring?

Re: Outdoor Ceremony/ Cocktail Hour

• We are having an outdoor ceremony at my dad's farm, and we are going to host a cocktail hour there as well because of time constraints at our reception venue. We plan to rent a tent for the cocktail hour which can be used as a back up plan for the whole ceremony in the event of rain. My issue is this - originally we had looked into renting a floor for the tent as well to make guests comfortable, but it is so expensive that I'm not sure I can justify it for one hour of the night. Is it acceptable to alert guests that this is going to be a rustic outdoor venue or do I have to bite the bullet and get the flooring?
    How far in advance would you need to order the flooring? If the ground is dry you could probably get away with just the grass, or with some outdoor rugs (probably could rent or definitely buy cheaper than the flooring). But if it's raining, or has rained in the day or two before you're not going to want to stand around in muddy or soft grass so you'd probably want the floor. 

You can also let people know the ceremony and cocktail hour will be on grass on your website (if you have one) or by word of mouth. 
  • I think it's enough to tell people that the event is outdoors on the grass. I would do this on your website ("the ceremony and cocktail hour will be held outdoors and on a grassy lawn") and via word of mouth (ask your VIPs to spread the word).

Floors ARE really expensive, but if your ceremony is also in the grass, what's the difference if cocktail hour is as well? Ditto charlotte on the possibility of mud/squishy ground - nothing worse than trying to walk around in nice shoes and wedding clothes tip-toeing around puddles and squishy spots.

Some equipment companies will let you put it on hold and then only pay a small percentage if you don't use it - basically an insurance policy.

*********************************************************************************

• I would just let people know. Last fall I attended a wedding, cocktail hour and reception that was outside, and the only floor was the dance floor. It seemed fine. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • As a guest I would get the hint if on the invite it said, please join us at 1:00 PM for an outdoor ceremony at 123 main st. which will be followed immediately by a cocktail. Reception will be held at 5:00 PM at 567 maple dr.

Based on that I would assume I would be walking on grass and pick out the appropriate shoes for that.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would put on your wedding website "Ceremony and cocktail hour will be located on grass". Don't say anything about shoes though, let guests decide that for themselves.

I think it's fine to have just grass. My only concern would be what if it rains before the ceremony, then you'll have slick, potentially muddy grass. But if you have the tent set up the day before for the cocktail ceremony anyway, I think you should be OK.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Oops, double post.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards