Destination Weddings Discussions

Glacier National Park Ceremony Space

Hello, I am looking for a spot for a ceremony in Glacier National Park for quite a large crowd (inviting 100, but not sure all would come)! It would be considered a destination wedding for our guests. We would like to find something near the west entrance of the park so that we can have the reception at our house near there. Having a hard time finding something that would work for that large of a group that isn't one of the ampitheaters. We are hoping to have mountains in the background. Don't know what month yet (hoping for sometime later next year), so any advice there would be helpful as well! Thank you!! 

Re: Glacier National Park Ceremony Space

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    This is taken from the park website:

Glacier National Park is home to many beautiful landscapes and settings that are ideal venues for a variety of special activities such as events, wedding ceremonies, and film and photography projects. Most special events and activities held in the park require a special use permit, issued only after the National Park Service determines that the activities involved will not impair park values and resources. Please note that there are usage limits for the number of people and vehicles for any special activity.

Weddings

If you are interested in getting married in Glacier National Park, the following information will be helpful in planning your ceremony.

To be married within Glacier National Park a Special Use Permit is required. Please contact our Special Park Use office prior to submitting an application at (406) 888-7825 to inquire about availability. The Application for Special Use Permit form is to be completed in full and returned, along with a non-refundable fee in the amount of $100.00; payment may be made by check or money order (made out to National Park Service) or by credit card.

The information on the Application for Special Use Permit will assist us in accommodating your request, and the Special Use Permit will provide an avenue for communicating any special concerns or conditions regarding your use of the area that you have requested. The permit also serves as documentation of our agreement regarding the terms and conditions under which the special use of the Park will be approved. Please be sure that the address you use on the application is a reliable place for you to receive mail. When your request is approved a Special Use Permit will be mailed to you for signature. The permit must be returned to the park within 10 business days prior to your event or the permit may be cancelled.

There are several locations were wedding ceremonies are held in Glacier National Park. The more popular areas are at the Apgar and Fish Creek Amphitheaters, and on weekdays at the Fish Creek picnic area. Pictures of suggested wedding locations can be found on our Flickr site.

Additional factors you must consider for the ceremony are:

1. There is always the possibility that due to unforeseen circumstances, such as rain, a snowstorm, or other emergency, that the ceremony would have to be canceled or moved to another location. Historically weather is most favorable during July and August.

2. Please limit the number of vehicles in your party to 10 as parking space is limited. For large gatherings you should consider car pooling or buses to transport your guests. Special Use Permits issued for most facilities and areas will be limited to four hours. Activities may not interfere with normal visitor use of the Park; therefore, areas will not be closed to public access during the event.

3. Park personnel will not be available to offer special assistance for traffic, parking, or other logistical needs associated with your wedding.

4. All participants associated with a Special Park Use event such as a wedding must observe and comply with all Park regulations, including those regarding the storage, handling of food and disposal of trash and garbage. The use of rice or birdseed is not permitted. The area used for your ceremony is to be policed and left in the same condition as it was prior to your event.

5. Amplification of sound before, during, or after the ceremony and connection to park utilities is not permitted.

6. Animals are to be kept on a leash at all times and under physical control and pets, other than service animals are prohibited in the backcountry, along lakeshores and waterways.

7. All guests will be required to purchase an entrance pass to enter the park (including periods when the entrance is not staffed) unless they are: 15 years of age or younger; are 62 years of age or older with a valid Interagency Senior Pass (formerly Golden Age Passport): an Interagency Access (Golden Access); or Interagency or Glacier National Park Annual Pass.

8. The following people have in the past been willing to perform ceremonies in Glacier National Park and if available would be able to assist in marriage requirements in State of Montana:

Rev. Christa Bourne
    475 8th Avenue E.N.
    Kalispell, Montana 59901
    (406) 890-3597

Marty Stuehler
    A Big Sky Event
    Bigfork, MT 59911
    www.abigskyevent.com
    (406) 249-2429

Rev. Bill Myers
    1010 Myers Lane
    Big Fork, MT 59911
    (406) 249-4807

For information regarding the use of facilities and accommodations operated by the lodging concessioner, please contact Glacier National Park Lodges at 855-733-4522.

If you have additional questions regarding your wedding activities in Glacier National Park you may contact the Special Use Permits Office at 406-888-7825 or 406-888-7832.

I see some definite problems with your plans.  People will have to pay admission to attend your ceremony.  How are you going to get 100 guests when there are only 10 vehicles are allowed?  Where are your guests supposed to sit?

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Not sure if you've posted there already, but check your local board. Usually, the most helpful information for US-based locations is found on the local forums.

Also, it's not really a DW since you live there. Yes, all of your guests have to travel, but you do not. We're more than happy to try and help, but again, I think you'll find better information on the local boards.

• I will be renting a bus and I'm assuming only about half will make it. So with a bus, I will have to pay just one admission fee. I can either get chairs or just chairs for grandparents. I have been to the NPS website, just looking for more insight from someone who has done this. Thank you.
  • Thank you! I wasn't sure how to find that and just thought that people from around the world have been married there, so they may know. I'm new here and don't really know my way around the community yet!! :) 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    mikaila0 said:
    I will be renting a bus and I'm assuming only about half will make it. So with a bus, I will have to pay just one admission fee. I can either get chairs or just chairs for grandparents. I have been to the NPS website, just looking for more insight from someone who has done this. Thank you.
    There must be a chair for every guest.  No exceptions.
    I am assuming that people will be traveling to your wedding.  Where will they stay?  Must they rent a car?  Where is the car to be parked at your reception?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Here is the link to the local Montana board:

http://forums.theknot.com/categories/local-wedding-boards_Montana

It's not very active, so you might get some help here, or potentially over on the Outdoor Weddings board.

Hopefully someone will pop in over here and have some feedback. I also recommend trying to use the search function at the bottom of the page.

• Thanks, but this does not answer my questions. I have the other logistics figured out on my own. Just wanting some input from someone who has been married there. Thank you though!
  • Ah, I will check out the outdoor wedding board! Thank you! I searched for this and did not see anything :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards