Attire & Accessories Forum

Corsets and wedding gowns

Would you recommend wearing a good quality corset under a wedding dress or getting your zipper back dress made into a corset back? And why? 

Re: Corsets and wedding gowns

• I asked the lingerie store I have to buy from about that and they recommended Spanx instead of a corset because it's more comfortable. I don't personally like the look of corset back dresses, but that's just me. If you plan on wearing the dress through your reception, too, I would want to be as comfortable as possible.
  • I bought a corset bra to wear under my corset back wedding dress. I suppose I could have gone without, but I just felt weird without wearing something underneath! I also like that the corset goes down to waist/hip level- helps smooth everything out ;). Spanx could work too, I am just not familiar with all of their products (I didn't know they made bra type products).
  • I think it would depend on the dress and how it was made. I think there are some styles that look better with a corset and those that don't. I've worn a corset once and honestly hated the feeling.
  • No. It changes the look and fit of the dress. 
  • I bought spanx for under my wedding dress, and you couldn't see a difference. I wasn't impressed and ended up not using it.  I really don't think spanx work as well as a corset.  

But I think you also would need to be really careful with a corset under a zipper back dress.  It might just look strange.  If you want the corset look, corset back is probably the better way to go (but also a personal preference--not everyone likes corset backs).

SaveSave
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    Corset back dresses are designed to fit with the corset back.  Zipper back dresses are not.  There are structural differences.  It isn't as simple as substituting one for another..  Talk to a good seamstress before making any changes in your dress.
    I do think that corset back dresses are on the way out.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • SP29 said:
    I bought a corset bra to wear under my corset back wedding dress. I suppose I could have gone without, but I just felt weird without wearing something underneath! I also like that the corset goes down to waist/hip level- helps smooth everything out ;). Spanx could work too, I am just not familiar with all of their products (I didn't know they made bra type products).
    They do make bras, but not I was really just talking about their shapewear. My lingerie store suggested a strapless bra and a pair of spanx. However, my dress has an empire waist and big pleats (and I'm pregnant) so I don't need anything other than the bra.
  • yeah, my first fitting is on the 25th to talk about alternations then.  I know a corset would be cheaper and then I could wear it with other things.   I don't think spanx will work for me, I never liked their products with anything I paired them with.  

• I would wait til you try on the dress with them.  I didn't have a corset back, it was zipper/buttons, and a lace back.  I thought for sure I'd have to figure out some sort of bra situation but between the dress's structure, and the bra cups we added in, no bra or spanx or anything else was needed.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I had a corset backed dress.  I didn't wear anything underneath.  I'm a DD too.  Girls stayed put.  No tugging my dress up either.    

It really depends on the dress.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • The answer depends 100% on your figure and the structure of the dress..  I'm large busted, there's no way on this earth I'd trust a corset back dress without having a long-line strapless underneath!  Between gravity and my figure in general the long-line bra (and spanx, let's not kid ourselves here) combined with the corset back dress would all be working together.  OTOH, if you've got the "perfect figure" with B- cups, the corset-back dress by itself may be absolutely fine with no worries at all. 
  • I'm large busted and corsets are the best. If a corset back dress was not supporting me I'd assume it was poorly made or poorly fitted. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards