Moms and Maids

NWR: FMIL = FML

We have breakfast with my FMIL every Saturday and today was no different. As we're eating she says something about how she's very impatient and refuses to wait half an hour somewhere to eat. We just kind of smile and nod. When we're leaving, FI is sitting in the back with the back driver side door open while he buckles the baby in his car seat. She's parked on that side of us. She hops in her car, slams it in reverse, and hit my car door. She didn't damage it and I couldn't tell if her car had any damage. It just really irritates me that she didn't even look before she just took off. 

Help me me feel better with your crazy MIL stories. 

Re: NWR: FMIL = FML

• Oh no! I'm glad you all are OK and the car wasn't damaged.
  • Filing a "Hit and run" report would not have been unreasonable...  Because if you look close, unless this was super low speed there is likely damage there.  And since that's not going to happen at this point (you'd never accept that behavior from the anonymous person on the street!)..  Yes, this is a "Blood talks to blood" item, and it doesn't get to be swept under the rug.  I'd even consider it ghost-worthy for a couple weeks.  If she can't be patient enough to think of other's safety (i.e. her grand child at the minimum)...  just no, line in the sand, make it deep!

• MesmrEwe said:

Filing a "Hit and run" report would not have been unreasonable...  Because if you look close, unless this was super low speed there is likely damage there.  And since that's not going to happen at this point (you'd never accept that behavior from the anonymous person on the street!)..  Yes, this is a "Blood talks to blood" item, and it doesn't get to be swept under the rug.  I'd even consider it ghost-worthy for a couple weeks.  If she can't be patient enough to think of other's safety (i.e. her grand child at the minimum)...  just no, line in the sand, make it deep!

She was backing up so it was low speed. It just bothers me because Harrison will be walking in the next few months and he could have been there! If it had been a stranger, I wouldn't file a police report because there wasn't any damage to my car. I'm secretly hoping that she has a big scratch on her car. 
  • My H's MIL (my mom) is the problem...I'm used to the way she talks, she's always driven me crazy by saying things.  She isn't trying to be mean, but she makes you want to rip your hair out sometimes.  Visiting her over Labor Day weekend, she twice managed to piss H off.  She'll say stuff like "you ate all that?" and the way she says it offends him because he thinks she's making a jab at him being overweight, or she'll make a remark about his cigar smoking (he knows the risks, but it's taken her years to grasp that it offends him when she starts whining about it--he never smokes in the house or anything, she just always brings up that it stinks, it's gross, bad for his health, etc).  After 29 years, I've grown pretty immune to her comments to me, but H has decided that he's not willing to put up with it and has started calling her out when she offends him.  He'll leave the room and Mom will ask, "did that offend him how I said that?" and I'll be like, "YES!"
  • First, picture my MIL. She's a super prudish, stoic Yankee lady, with zero sense of humor. 

When we were first married, decades ago, my MIL would call us every Saturday morning, early, to make sure we were up.
    WTF? Who does this? I am an adult and will damn-well sleep in as long as I like! :P
  • edited September 2016
    SP29 said:
    First, picture my MIL. She's a super prudish, stoic Yankee lady, with zero sense of humor. 

When we were first married, decades ago, my MIL would call us every Saturday morning, early, to make sure we were up.
    WTF? Who does this? I am an adult and will damn-well sleep in as long as I like! :P
    I know! She was always over stepping. Yet, she'd tell everyone how she minds her own business and doesn't interfere with her kids marriages. Blah!

I promised myself long ago that whoever my kids' married, I would find a way to love/like them. So far, so good. It doesn't make sense to irritate your kids SOs to the point where they dread contact with you.

• My MIL and I no longer have a relationship (my choice to go NC). This has been a fun summer.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That's sad @spockforprez. She should realize how wonderful you are. 

• edited September 2016
    That's sad @spockforprez. She should realize how wonderful you are. 
    QFT. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards