Moms and Maids

Blue Apron?

Hi Ladies,

What do you think of a Blue Apron, Plated, or other meal/recipe subscription as a wedding party gift? Is this something you would like to receive as a BM or MOH?

Thanks! 

Re: Blue Apron?

• We did blue apron for a bit. I like their summer recipes better than their winter. It was great for maybe the first month or two but then our lives got busy and we weren't able to keep up with it. We eventually cancelled because we were wasting food and money.
  • geebee908 said:
    If you know everyone would like that sort of thing. I'd only gift it to those who like to cook and try new dishes. Shop for the WP like you'd shop for their birthday or Christmas and get something tailored to each individual.
    This.  In general, I don't think a gift subscription is a bad gift but I do think it needs to be tailored to the recipient if you want it be a wedding party gift.  So maybe it a beer of the month club or bacon of the month club or one of the hobby or make-up subscriptions instead of a meal box.

DH and I tried Hello Fresh for a bit.  It was okay - the recipes were tasty but we found that they didn't really cut down on prep time, which is what we were looking for.
    Anniversary

• Thanks ladies, it's something that I'm thinking of for one MOH, just want to check if it's a decent gift for this occasion. I'm shopping for them individually based on their tastes, and I know she likes cooking with her husband, so my main concern is whether it's appropriate and whether people actually use the subscriptions like these because she has very limited time for cooking nowadays! 
  • @Wanderlust543 if she has limited time for cooking, I wouldn't recommend this. It's convenient because all of the ingredients are there and are the correct portions, but there is a LOT of prep that goes into every recipe. Veggies need to be chopped, etc. etc. My H and I do Blue Apron every once in awhile and love it, but the meals generally take 20-30 minutes longer than a normal meal that we make (an easy pasta dish that boils for 8 minutes, throwing chicken in the oven and doing other things while it bakes, etc.).
  • I've been using HelloFresh for a few months now and I love it! It's really nice to have your meals planned for you during the week and we always have leftovers for lunches. 
  • @Wanderlust543 if she has limited time for cooking, I wouldn't recommend this. It's convenient because all of the ingredients are there and are the correct portions, but there is a LOT of prep that goes into every recipe. Veggies need to be chopped, etc. etc. My H and I do Blue Apron every once in awhile and love it, but the meals generally take 20-30 minutes longer than a normal meal that we make (an easy pasta dish that boils for 8 minutes, throwing chicken in the oven and doing other things while it bakes, etc.).
    Thanks for the feedback on added time, I thought it could potentially save time if things are pre-packaged! 
  • I really love your creativity in thinking outside the box. For a blue apron or something to that extent, I'm not sure its the best for the fact that some people don't like cooking, others don't have time, this person has like 100 allergies or whatever. If its just for 1 person that you know really well and enjoys cooking,  it would be a good gift. But if its for everyone, maybe a bespokepost or birchbox or something that is catering to a larger audience may be a better fit
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards