Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

First Dance Song Help!

My fiance and I have almost completely different tastes in music.  We overlap in the Alt Rock area (which is pretty much all he listens to).  I am trying to get his help in picking out a first dance song, but all I get is "I don't really like slow songs" or "That one just doesn't do anything for me."  We don't have a song really either - at least not one that is first dance material.

Anyone out there having the same issue?  If so, what have you done to pick your song? Should I just pick the song myself? Help me please!

Re: First Dance Song Help!

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Here are some that you and your FI might like. Play them for him and see what he thinks:

Florence + the Machine, "You've Got the Love"
    Lenny Kravitz, "Let Love Rule"
    Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, "Home"
    Cowboy Junkies, "Anniversary Song"
    Death Cab for Cutie, "Stay Young, Go Dancing"
    Vance Joy, "Riptide"

If I think of any others, I'll post them.

ETA: These are faster, but very happy songs:

Imagine Dragons, "On Top of the World"
    Coldplay, "Adventure of a Lifetime"
  • Options
    My fiance and I have almost completely different tastes in music.  We overlap in the Alt Rock area (which is pretty much all he listens to).  I am trying to get his help in picking out a first dance song, but all I get is "I don't really like slow songs" or "That one just doesn't do anything for me."  We don't have a song really either - at least not one that is first dance material.

Anyone out there having the same issue?  If so, what have you done to pick your song? Should I just pick the song myself? Help me please!
    @OurWildKingdom always has good and unique music ideas^  

And I have a few too, but, let me ask you a few questions...

Does your fiance WANT to have a first dance?
    If yes ^, will he be willing to be happy with your choice - whatever it is?

Does he have a favorite group / artist?
    Does he have a favorite movie or TV show?

Have you two any shared musical memories (first or favorite concert ... in person or on TV)

And finally, what would your song be - that's NOT typical first dance material?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Aww, thank you, @donethat. You asked some good questions.
  • Options
    @OurWildKingdom Thanks for the suggestions! I will play them tonight and see what he thinks.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @donethat thanks for asking good questions. I have responded right in line with them. Thanks for your help.

And I have a few too, but, let me ask you a few questions...

Does your fiance WANT to have a first dance? Yes
    If yes ^, will he be willing to be happy with your choice - whatever it is? Probably 

Does he have a favorite group / artist? - 
    Zebrahead & Breaking Benjamin 
    Does he have a favorite movie or TV show? Eh- lots of the superhero stuff -he is a big comic book nerd and then we  both love GOT

Have you two any shared musical memories (first or favorite concert ... in person or on TV) we've been to Zebra head shows together, we went to see Phantom of the Opera & the Wicked musical together

And finally, what would your song be - that's NOT typical first dance material? My first pick was Prosthetic Love by Typhoon 

• Options
    So, Prosthetic Love would by great - if you can dance to it! Maybe just practice around the kitchen a couple times to make sure you got it.   (I think the first dance should be whatever you want!

Otherwise, here are a few hard rock love songs - more along the lines of Zebrahead or Breaking Benjamins ....  (to give you some ideas) 
    https://hardrockdaddy.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/top-20-modern-hard-rock-love-songs/

Superhero ?  Would you/he think "O-o-o Child" or something from Guardians of The Galaxy was fun? :wink:
  • Options
    Here's another good one: BORNS, "Electric Love."

https://youtu.be/RYr96YYEaZY
  • Options
    @donethat &  @OurWildKingdom
    Thanks you so much for all of your help. I finally got him to help me and we chose Better Together by Jack Johnson
  • Options
    @donethat &  @OurWildKingdom
    Thanks you so much for all of your help. I finally got him to help me and we chose Better Together by Jack Johnson

I like that song. Excellent choice. :)
  • Options
    I like that sweet song, AND the fact that you choose it together! :-)   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards