Wedding Etiquette Forum

Gift ideas

I am having a small wedding so no wedding party. I wanted to get people's takes on gift etiquette. My fiancé and I are planning on getting gifts for both of our moms, since they were the only ones who helped, planning or paying.  Are those the only people we should give gifts to?

Also, what are some ideas for gifts?  What have you given? I looked online and saw a lot of picture frames or jewelry, but I wanted to see what other options I had.

Thank you :)

Re: Gift ideas

• Are neither of your fathers involved? A gift isn't given to a parent for planning or paying. It is a token of appreciation for having raised you/FI. I wouldn't just give your moms something if your dads are in your lives. That being said, get them something they would appreciate. A framed picture from the wedding is always nice. An album specific to them - pictures of them, friend and family at the wedding along with pictures of you and FI. My husband was taken to a baseball game and I was taken to a musical. These were fine but I really would've liked a picture of my DD and SIL. We also received a very nice thank you note from them.
  • I am having a small wedding so no wedding party. I wanted to get people's takes on gift etiquette. My fiancé and I are planning on getting gifts for both of our moms, since they were the only ones who helped, planning or paying.  Are those the only people we should give gifts to?

Also, what are some ideas for gifts?  What have you given? I looked online and saw a lot of picture frames or jewelry, but I wanted to see what other options I had.

Thank you :)

Etiquette wise, you just get gifts for the WP. Since you aren't having anyone in your WP, you don't need to get gifts at all. 

If you WANT to get gifts for your moms, go for it! Think about how you would normally buy gifts for them - for their birthdays, for the holidays - and go with that versus trinkety frames and jewelry (unless that's their "thing"). 
    *********************************************************************************

• Gifts are given based on what people do for you, they are given because you want to say thank you. Parent gifts are usually given to say, "Thanks for your support and for raising me" not to say thanks for planning/paying.

We gave each of our parents (divorced) and our grandparents photo albums from the wedding that I made on Shutterfly, they were all slightly different.

Otherwise, shop for them like it's their birthday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards