Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Etiquette-Approved Registry Items?

We're starting our registry today, and so multiple questions...sorry for the multiple threads, but I thought this was pretty distinct from my other one:

FI & I have lived together for 5 years, and I lived alone for years before that. We cook several times a week and bake and entertain often, so I have LOTS of kitchen things, including good pots and pans. I want a few upgrades (like a stand mixer to replace my 12-year-old hand one), but not too many. I'm very against putting anything on the registry which would be fun for just one of us or the other, like the new video game console FI wants. Also, registering for experiences/honeymoon or using my photographer's registry to pay for photos (gag!) are clearly off the table. 

I'll be having a smaller bridal shower (no more than 20 people of our 150 person guest list), but a good half of our guest list have only seen us 2 or 3 times since we've gotten together - or never met me at all - because FI's family is large, spread out, and not particularly close. I want to make sure they have good ideas of what our taste is like if they want to get us a physical gift.

What are some good, etiquette-approved but still less common things to put on a registry?

Re: Etiquette-Approved Registry Items?

• Options
    Serving pieces are always good - cake plates, trays, chip and dip sets, salad bowl with tongs (or serving fork and spoon), upgrade knives,beverage containers, lamps, sheets and towels (upgrading/replacing old linens), placemats, napkins (napkin rings), pillows, throws and pillows for living area, candlesticks, vases. So you have pantry organizing things like canisters - I love my OXO airtight ones. DD and SIL put a beverage cart on their's thinking they would buy it with completion discount. Someone bought it right off the bat.
  • Options
    Camping supplies, tools, games, picture frames, ... 

Everything else I can think of are fairly common registry stuff. Duvet cover, matching sheets, serving dishes, 
  • Options
    I do not know if you consider these "less common," but I suggest items such as a vacuum, an iron, luggage, patio furniture/decorations and storage bins.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • Options
    Hey, I've been married 40 years, and we just bought ourselves a new cast iron dutch oven.  Just because you have been together for a while doesn't mean that you don't need or appreciate some new stuff.
    I still have the Corelleware dishes that i got 43 years ago!  I'd love to get something new, but DH, the engineer, likes them, and thinks they are practical!  Butterfly Gold, anyone?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Hey, I've been married 40 years, and we just bought ourselves a new cast iron dutch oven.  Just because you have been together for a while doesn't mean that you don't need or appreciate some new stuff.
    I still have the Corelleware dishes that i got 43 years ago!  I'd love to get something new, but DH, the engineer, likes them, and thinks they are practical!  Butterfly Gold, anyone?
    I love vintage Corelleware! 
  • Options
    Discontinued Corelle Butterfly Gold Dinnerware 31 Pc

Blech!  Ew!  Ugh!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I guess I'm weird, but I actually kind of like them.

As to the original question, are there games or other activities that you would enjoy together, @JediElizabeth?
  • Options
    I agree that things like camping equipment, travel accessories (luggage, scale, those little cubes that keep your things separate in your suitcase), or tools are good options if those are things you're interested in that are a little more "out there;" you'd probably want an Amazon registry for things like that, as you're unlikely to find them in your local BBB.  When DH and I were married, we were living in an apartment, but now that we have a house we're wanting things like a firepit, gardening gear, etc.  Your registry is the perfect time to upgrade things like your vacuum or a coffeemaker (DH wanted a Keurig, and we registered for a Dyson--ended up getting both, although we absolutely would have used our completion discount on them if needed).  We also definitely needed new towels, as ours were current hand-me-downs from my parents and grandparents, and new sheets as most of our fitted sheets were losing their elasticity and would just slide right off the bed.  
  • Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    So, in addition to the more traditional registry stuff, we registered for camping gear, a smoker (received), a new grill (didn't receive), lawn games (bocce ball, horseshoes), and board/card games (incl Cards Against Humanity).

Also even though we had just bought new towels and sheets before we got engaged, we registered for more.  I feel like you can never have too many towels and sheets, because they do wear out.  I also have a full set of glasses in my basement that we registered for, that match the ones we already have, because they break.  I've already swapped out one.  Remember, this stuff is for your marriage (ie long term), not just what you need at this exact second.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options

Silverware!!!  Upgrades (slotted spoons, serving spoons, etc.) and extra pieces as well!  If you have your or his family over to your place it's always nice to have enough real silverware (even if you have it as a second set that you keep in the box) for everyone (this includes enough forks/spoons for dessert)...  It's also nice to get your "Cake knife/server" to match your silverware because then you use it for more than the ceremonial cutting at your wedding.  Obviously, don't register for the $70/service set, but something you can afford down the road to get additional pieces if you'd choose (my one set costs $40/fork now compared to the other set that has $10 replacement forks - both from Oneida!)

Kitchen towels, nicer sheet sets, mattress pads, camping chairs, folding table/chairs (enough that you can have both families over for a party/holiday), table cloths, linens, glassware, bathroom towels, coolers, good quality bright flashlights, grill (yes I've purchased this for a couple - when they put it on the registry it was full-price, but by the time of their wedding it was being clearanced out and in the budget to actually upgrade the grill from the one they registered for).. 

Most of all, regardless of what you choose to register, consider all price points.  I will be honest since I do a lot of registry looking up for my parents who don't have a computer, we both side-eye registering for things like the large-screen overpriced TV's/game consoles/games/subscriptions unless it's a place that offers a clear "Completion discount" for items on the registry. 

@CMGragain - my grandparents actually had that set - nothing wrong with it at all!  I much prefer that to something that can't be put in the microwave!

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    A good reference I learned on here is, what would you need to serve Thanksgiving dinner at your home?

- Gravy boat
    - Butter dish
    - Water carafe
    - Wine decanter
    - Coffee and tea pot
    - sugar and milk/creamer dishes
    - Platters and serving bowls
    - good cutting board
    - wooden salad bowl and tongs
    - 4 slot toaster
    - programmable kettle
    - coasters
    - blender
    - stand mixer or hand mixer

I also like the idea of outdoor/patio-ware. Would be nice to have an entire set of everything in plastic for outside (versus taking my glass water carafe outside ;)).
  • Options
    kylexo said:

but my parents gifted their early 80s corelle dishes that they got from their wedding registry to us. they upgraded to fiesta ware for their 30th anniversary. we use for it special occasions cause i love the pattern so much

It's not Corelle, but when I got my first apartment, my mom handed down her old 1970's "Spice of Life" Corningware.  I used it because it was practical, but I have really grown to love it over the years.  So many memories!

Image result for corningware spice of life

I still use it.

• Options
    We didn't have a registry but I loved looking through the store to get ideas. I wandered for an afternoon and just checked out all the fancy things.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    The things we loved and used the most - awesome towels and sheets; pillows; small safe; paper shredder; nice kitchen trash can. 
    So much yes. Spending $180 of your own money on a trash can is SO DEPRESSING.

Like PP said, putting big items on there isn't a bad idea even if it's just for a completion discount. We got a gorgeous crate and barrel coffee table from  family friends (2 parents, their 4 adult children, 2 dates).

• Options
    I want a few upgrades (like a stand mixer to replace my 12-year-old hand one), but not too many. 
    Do yourself a favor and don't chuck the hand mixer when you get the stand.  I've got a KitchenAid stand mixer, and a Mixette hand mixer circa 1960s, and I use both weekly at least!
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards