Wedding Woes

God, I love not living in a neighborhood.

Dear Prudence,

My husband I recently purchased our first house and moved in with our 1-year-old child. We love our house and the neighbors we’ve gotten to know thus far, with one exception: the neighbor three doors down who blasts music on his front porch one or two afternoons each week. I don’t object to playing music on one’s own porch, or even the music he plays (almost exclusively ’90s R&B), but he plays it so loudly that we can hear it—and feel the thumping bass—inside our own home. As far as we can tell, he’s the only person on the block who plays music on his porch. It doesn’t seem to be some kind of neighborhood tradition to which we are newcomers. I’ve asked him to turn it down a few times, mostly when his music seems to be preventing our kid from taking a nap. I feel awkward and uncomfortable when I do so, partly because I never seem to encounter this neighbor in other settings and so the building blocks of our neighbor-to-neighbor relationship consist solely of brief conversations in which either me or my husband ask him to turn down his music. Sometimes there’s a noticeable reduction in volume in response to our request ... and sometimes not. We plan on living here for the foreseeable future and would really like to be on good terms with all our neighbors. How can we politely communicate that the volume of his front porch jam sessions needs to be set at something more reasonable?

—Noisy Neighbor

Re: God, I love not living in a neighborhood.

• You can't really be the newcomer and tell others how to behave.   If you couldn't deal with noise potential then you should have moved to an area with homes farther apart - especially if there's nothing really illegal about what he's doing.

Can she close the window's in the kid's room and buy a white noise machine?     
  • banana468 said:
    You can't really be the newcomer and tell others how to behave.   If you couldn't deal with noise potential then you should have moved to an area with homes farther apart - especially if there's nothing really illegal about what he's doing.

Can she close the window's in the kid's room and buy a white noise machine?     
    I disagree to a point. There are more than likely noise ordinance laws that he could potentially be violating. I have a similar issue with my neighbor's dog. She leaves him outside quite often and his yapping prevents us from being able to use our backyard because it's so loud and shrill. Her dog is in violation of our city's noise ordinance. I've turned her in twice and will continue to do so.
  • Can they see if other neighbours have asked him to turn it down? Also do they have a full conversation, or is it just 'hey turn it down' ? I'm wondering if maybe they explain the situation, he'll respond better/more consistent
  • I think saying someone shouldn't have moved into the neighborhood because of the music is a stretch. When you buy a new house you probably won't know how the neighbors act right away, especially if you don't visit the house on porch music Mondays or whatever. Or if the neighbor has a yappy dog you may not realize it if the dog is always in the house when you had showings or a walk through at the house.

The fact that it is supposedly so loud 3 houses down is crazy. We can occasionally hear music from our neighbors 2 houses down if they are playing it loudly outside but it wouldn't be loud enough to keep anyone awake. If it is truly that loud it sounds like it could be a noise ordinance issue. 
  • I guess I'm in the camp of wondering how close she is to her neighbors and how loud it really is.  3 doors down from me is much different from 3 doors down from my parents and that's very different from 3 doors down from my grandmother's old home. 

My overall point is that unless she can prove that the guy really is breaking the law, how much can she do?  If he's breaking the law she has legal recourse.   She finds out what he's doing and she continues to reinforce her complaints to authorities.

If he continues do to this and she can't legally stop him then does she want to turn this into a huge issue or does she want to find a way to work around it?   

• I'm with @banana468, hearing music 3 doors down in my current house is loud, in my old house it was par for the course.  And in that city, the noise ordinance didn't start until 11pm so he wouldn't be breaking any laws.

Asking an existing resident to change his routine because it clashes with your, new to the neighborhood, routine is just wrong in my opinion.  Maybe I'm an asshole, but I'd be reluctant to comply, especially depending on how you ask.
  • This is the OKC ordinance on this. LW should check her city's noise ordinances.

"Radios, television equipment, electronic audio equipment, musical instruments and similar devices. Operating or permitting the use or operation of any device designed for sound production, amplification, or reproduction, including but not limited to any radio, musical instrument, phonograph, television set, tape recorder, loud speaker, or other similar device:

a. if plainly audible within any dwelling unit which is not the source of the sound; or

b. on public property or on a public right-of-way so as to be plainly audible 50 feet or more from such device, except as authorized by permit."

• Every city is different.   I know that depending on the city in CT you don't nee to stop until 11.   DH's cousins play in a band and they performed for the after party on a Friday night after a wedding.   The police couldn't legally tell them to turn down the noise until after 11 AM.

The cousins knew who complained.  They joked that they were going to post the neighbor's car for sale on Craig's List the next day.   So perhaps that's the only LW's option.   Get the dude's phone number and start listing his stuff for sale.
  • In my old neighborhood, the houses were closer together.  The people behind us had an older teenage daughter that would have parties outside in the summer with louder music.  We just tolerated it until it was time for bed.  If we couldn't fall asleep with the TV on, by 10 PM (noise ordinance time) we would call the non-emergency police number so they would take care of it.

In the middle of the day, I think you just need to put up with it.  I might ask that the bass get turned down, if you can really feel the thumping.

• banana468 said:
    Every city is different.   I know that depending on the city in CT you don't nee to stop until 11.   DH's cousins play in a band and they performed for the after party on a Friday night after a wedding.   The police couldn't legally tell them to turn down the noise until after 11 AM.

The cousins knew who complained.  They joked that they were going to post the neighbor's car for sale on Craig's List the next day.   So perhaps that's the only LW's option.   Get the dude's phone number and start listing his stuff for sale.

So, either someone keeps typo-ing their craigslist ads, or someone is doing that to me. A while ago I got dozens of calls and texts for my Kia Soul for sale. It was so annoying. After like the 20th call of a car salesman asking if my Soul was for sale, I finally screamed "MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE LORD JESUS CHRIST!" and hung up.

And last year I got three responses to what appeared to be a, uh, group personal ad. The responses said "we" and I got a nude picture of a woman.

This is something I would do! XD
  • If the neighbor isn't violating a noise ordinance there isn't much you can force them to do, however why not try a little diplomacy? Take some cookies/pie/whatever over and nicely ask, "Neighbor I'm new to the street. I hate to be a pain but Baby is a light sleeper and naps each day from 1-3pm. Would you mind turning down the music during that time?" 

However, if he isn't violating any ordinances and he doesn't turn it down, as others said try a sound machine, a fan/air conditioner, white noise, when your baby sleeps. And buy some good wireless headphones. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards