Wedding Reception Forum

Sparkler Exit - Should the photographer stay?

I've never been to a wedding where the couple has had a "grand exit". The bride and groom always stay until the end, say their goodbyes, and mosey out along with the rest of the guests. My wedding planner thought a sparkler exit might be fun and we agreed! However, we initially only booked our photographer for 9 hours. That way we could cover getting ready until some of the dancing kicks off - now I'm second guessing. Now I'm trying to weigh if it's worth it to have our photographer stick around a little longer to capture the exit. 

Have you done a sparkler exit and did your photographer stay? Does it ruin the moment when you stop to capture photos, making the "grand exit" not so grand? Looking for opinions!

Re: Sparkler Exit - Should the photographer stay?

• I have not seen a grand exit done in many years. From what I have read on the boards, couples stage the exit for a picture op but don't really exit (meaning they come back into the reception) to the sparklers. The problem with waiting until the end is that many of your guests may have already left. Another thing to consider is your venue. Will they allow sparklers on the premises. They can be a fire hazard along with a danger to the guests. It is also difficult to get a large number of them lit at the same time. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the photographer to stay to do a grand exit.
  • I've never been to a wedding where the couple has had a "grand exit". The bride and groom always stay until the end, say their goodbyes, and mosey out along with the rest of the guests. My wedding planner thought a sparkler exit might be fun and we agreed! However, we initially only booked our photographer for 9 hours. That way we could cover getting ready until some of the dancing kicks off - now I'm second guessing. Now I'm trying to weigh if it's worth it to have our photographer stick around a little longer to capture the exit. 

Have you done a sparkler exit and did your photographer stay? Does it ruin the moment when you stop to capture photos, making the "grand exit" not so grand? Looking for opinions!
    I was just at a wedding with a "grand entrance" and really, it sucked. People were standing around waiting for the bride and groom to get all their stuff together. To talk to the coordinator about picking up their items and left over cupcakes. People wanted to get on with their night, but we all stood around waiting for them with the photographer telling everyone to get in the right position, out of the way, keep their sparklers up and lit. Honestly, it all felt forced and by the time they came out and walked through the sparklers I was over it. And then the bride and groom stood around saying goodbye to everyone.

I've been at others where they haven't been that bad, but each time it just feels like you're waiting around just so they can get a good picture. Just doesn't seem worth it to me to pay the photographer to stay the additional hours for one shot.
  • I've never been to a wedding where the couple has had a "grand exit". The bride and groom always stay until the end, say their goodbyes, and mosey out along with the rest of the guests. My wedding planner thought a sparkler exit might be fun and we agreed! However, we initially only booked our photographer for 9 hours. That way we could cover getting ready until some of the dancing kicks off - now I'm second guessing. Now I'm trying to weigh if it's worth it to have our photographer stick around a little longer to capture the exit. 

I was just at a wedding with a "grand entrance" and really, it sucked. People were standing around waiting for the bride and groom to get all their stuff together. To talk to the coordinator about picking up their items and left over cupcakes. People wanted to get on with their night, but we all stood around waiting for them with the photographer telling everyone to get in the right position, out of the way, keep their sparklers up and lit. Honestly, it all felt forced and by the time they came out and walked through the sparklers I was over it. And then the bride and groom stood around saying goodbye to everyone.

I've been at others where they haven't been that bad, but each time it just feels like you're waiting around just so they can get a good picture. Just doesn't seem worth it to me to pay the photographer to stay the additional hours for one shot.
    That's helpful, and I think we have found a way to get the photo-op and not have the photog stay later. I want our exit to be a true exit where we can leave, no waiting and saying our goodbyes while the guests get bored. That's no fun for anyone. 
  • I wouldn't pay extra to have the photographer stay.

Personally, I've not attended a wedding with a grand exit, as you've said, most couples stay until the end of the night and wish their guests goodnight as they leave. Guest all leave a different times. From my understand, grand exits date to the period when guests would leave their reception early to head out on their honeymoon (my godmother did this back in the 80s).

Stage a photo with your photog if you really want the sparkler look.
  • Sparklers are really hard to take good photos of.

Also, a sparkler exit is hard to coordinate well in general. The one wedding I have been to that had one, it was very slow and cumbersome to get them lit so by the time the B&G came out, I think maybe two people even had a still-sparking sparkler. I think for it to be successful with more than a handful of people, you'd need the ability to light 10+ sparklers at once while they're already in the guests' hands. And I'm sure you don't want to hire 10 or more people just to come and light sparklers for your exit.
  • Is there a way you can just skip the whole "grand exit" thing and maybe incorporate some sparklers into your regular photos?
  • If you want a sparkler exit, have one ... and yes, photographer should stay for that big moment.  Your day - your choices - your fun.  

• donethat said:
    If you want a sparkler exit, have one ... and yes, photographer should stay for that big moment.  Your day - your choices - your fun.  

Eye Roll!
  • donethat said:
    If you want a sparkler exit, have one ... and yes, photographer should stay for that big moment.  Your day - your choices - your fun.  

If you pay them to do that, or schedule their 9 hours to include that moment. If you pay for 9 hours, but want them to start at 12:00pm and your reception lasts until 11pm you're either going to need to negoitate the additional hours or have them start later. They don't stay just because you're having a  "moment".

Also, the seconded bolded is ridiculous. Yes, her choices, but they affect other people.
  • donethat said:

Eye Roll! 

Ugh SITB (always on mobile) 

Whenever I see the words "it's your day" my eyes rolls so far back in my head that I go temporarily blind. It's the best indicator of if a person is going to only consider their own feelings despite inviting people and marrying a person who also exist on that day. 
  • donethat said:

Eye Roll! 

Ugh SITB (always on mobile) 

Whenever I see the words "it's your day" my eyes rolls so far back in my head that I go temporarily blind. It's the best indicator of if a person is going to only consider their own feelings despite inviting people and marrying a person who also exist on that day. 
    I seriously don't want anyone to blind themselves, even temporarily, from my comments, so ... sorry about that.

Imo, everything that happens on the big day is a choice - beginning with WHO to marry.  There are so many (BIG, small, expensive, important, annoying, compromising, "whatever") choices that day ... and that first one is the only REALLY big one.  I intended to suggest (in my eye-roll inducing way) that this is but one of the tinier elements of the day ... and if it sounds fun to the chooser, then ... why not?   It might involve the photographer staying longer than originally planned, but we don't really know WHAT the photo package is - could be hourly or could be event based.  It (the sparklers at the end of the night) also might only involve a few close friends and family still celebrating ... but ... why not OK to all of that?  

I agree that sometimes, I read, hear and see things that bring to mind someone planning a coronation instead of a wedding ... but ... I only intended to give permission to the OP to consider if this activity sounds fun and she wants to do it, then to enjoy it.  I don't think this activity will cause discomfort for spouse or friends or family  ... or even photographer, who is either volunteering or compensated, and can either volunteer more, be compensated more, or suggest to OP that pro-pics aren't needed.

My message "intent" stands, and again, I'm sorry to cause any eye rolls.  
  • I was at a wedding recently that had a sparkler exit. The pictures were AWESOME. Coordinating it wasn't too bad; the DJ announced the next song would be the last, asked everyone to dance surrounding the bride & groom, and then instructed us to head toward the exit. Someone (wedding planner?) gave us all gigantic sparklers and helped us line up & light them all. The couple walked out between us and got into their car & drove away. The only thing I found odd about it was that this was all at about 9:30, and where I grew up, weddings usually last a bit longer. I don't know that I'd put a ton of extra money into something like that, but if it's being offered & you don't mind leaving early enough that all or most of your guests are still there it makes for cool photos.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards