Honeymoon Discussions

Cruise Help

So I’ve read the sticky and I’ve been on one cruise a few years ago but I wasn’t the one that planned any of the details. We are really thinking about taking a cruise for our honeymoon but I had a few questions.

1.       Is it a good Idea to book now or wait until next year our wedding is Oct 2017

I want to book now and start paying on it as soon as possible but I’m not sure what will happen if the price drops. Will they refund our money?

2.       We don’t have a TA and was just thinking about booking through Priceline or a site like that is this a good idea?

3.       Which cruise line do you ladies like the most? I cruised on Norwegian my first time - it was awesome but the selection is not that great for the dates we would need.

4.       We do plan on flying in when is it the best time to buy air fair?

That’s pretty much it for now. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA 

Re: Cruise Help

• I can't really help on most points, but airfare is something I can help on.

If you want certain flights, you are almost always better to book the flights as soon as possible. You certainly can chase fares but you may not end up with the connections you want. Some cruise lines offer airfare as part of the cruising experience. You will certainly want to wait until you've decided on where you are wanting to go, what cruise line you book with and see if there are any deals on airfare. Most airlines charge fees to adjust itineraries so I wouldn't book anything until you are sure that you are taking a particular cruise and have booked it.

• So I’ve read the sticky and I’ve been on one cruise a few years ago but I wasn’t the one that planned any of the details. We are really thinking about taking a cruise for our honeymoon but I had a few questions.

1.       Is it a good Idea to book now or wait until next year our wedding is Oct 2017

I want to book now and start paying on it as soon as possible but I’m not sure what will happen if the price drops. Will they refund our money?

2.       We don’t have a TA and was just thinking about booking through Priceline or a site like that is this a good idea?

3.       Which cruise line do you ladies like the most? I cruised on Norwegian my first time - it was awesome but the selection is not that great for the dates we would need.

4.       We do plan on flying in when is it the best time to buy air fair?

@CMGragain has taken many cruises over the years.  Hopefully she will she this "page" and offer some insight for you.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016

So I’ve read the sticky and I’ve been on one cruise a few years ago but I wasn’t the one that planned any of the details. We are really thinking about taking a cruise for our honeymoon but I had a few questions.

1.       Is it a good Idea to book now or wait until next year our wedding is Oct 2017 The best deals will be about six months from the cruise date.

I want to book now and start paying on it as soon as possible but I’m not sure what will happen if the price drops. Will they refund our money?  You put a deposit on the cruise to reserve it.  You don't pay any more until about two to three months away from sailing.  Save your money in your own savings account where you can get interest.  Your deposit is refundable up until final payment.  After that, your refund amount decreases with time until the sailing date.  This is why you buy trip insurance.

2.       We don’t have a TA and was just thinking about booking through Priceline or a site like that is this a good idea?  Priceline IS A TRAVEL AGENCY!  So are ALL online sites, including AAA and Costco.  You can get a better deal using a travel agent than booking directly through the cruise line.  If you are interested, PM me, and I will share my online travel agent, who has booked a dozen cruises for me.  You can call him on the telephone and have a nice long chat about what you are looking for, and there is no cost to you. (There is nothing in it for me.  I just want him to stay in the travel business!)

3.       Which cruise line do you ladies like the most? I cruised on Norwegian my first time - it was awesome but the selection is not that great for the dates we would need.  Talk to your travel agent.  Different people like different things, and not all cruise lines suit all people.  Your travel agent's job is to match you with a good deal that will suit your finances and your travel style.  Of course, if you book online without talking to anyone, you won't know until you are on the ship.

4.       We do plan on flying in when is it the best time to buy air fair?  Again, you travel agent can advise you.  It also depends on when you are flying.  Always fly to the port the day before you sail, in case there is a problem getting there on time, and always buy trip insurance.

I'll be glad to help you.  I have been on 22 cruises, and have two more booked for the coming year.   I love cruising!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

1.       Is it a good Idea to book now or wait until next year our wedding is Oct 2017 The best deals will be about six months from the cruise date.

I want to book now and start paying on it as soon as possible but I’m not sure what will happen if the price drops. Will they refund our money?  You put a deposit on the cruise to reserve it.  You don't pay any more until about two to three months away from sailing.  Save your money in your own savings account where you can get interest.  Your deposit is refundable up until final payment.  After that, your refund amount decreases with time until the sailing date.  This is why you buy trip insurance.

2.       We don’t have a TA and was just thinking about booking through Priceline or a site like that is this a good idea?  Priceline IS A TRAVEL AGENCY!  So are ALL online sites, including AAA and Costco.  You can get a better deal using a travel agent than booking directly through the cruise line.  If you are interested, PM me, and I will share my online travel agent, who has booked a dozen cruises for me.  You can call him on the telephone and have a nice long chat about what you are looking for, and there is no cost to you. (There is nothing in it for me.  I just want him to stay in the travel business!)

3.       Which cruise line do you ladies like the most? I cruised on Norwegian my first time - it was awesome but the selection is not that great for the dates we would need.  Talk to your travel agent.  Different people like different things, and not all cruise lines suit all people.  Your travel agent's job is to match you with a good deal that will suit your finances and your travel style.  Of course, if you book online without talking to anyone, you won't know until you are on the ship.

4.       We do plan on flying in when is it the best time to buy air fair?  Again, you travel agent can advise you.  It also depends on when you are flying.  Always fly to the port the day before you sail, in case there is a problem getting there on time, and always buy trip insurance.

I'll be glad to help you.  I have been on 22 cruises, and have two more booked for the coming year.   I love cruising!

Thank you so much for the info. I was so lost. Im also sending you a PM 

• One more thought, about price drops.  Until final payment, you can cancel and re-book your cruise at the new price.  If you have a good travel agent, they will take care of this for you. 
    Cruise lines play with their prices.  The current trend is to offer tips included, a drink package, an upgrade, and/or cruise credit to use while you are sailing.  They do this, rather than dropping the price, because it saves them money.  I like the pre-paid tips and cruise credit (to use for excursions), but unless you drink a LOT, the drink package is overpriced.  The pre-paid tips will save you about $26 per day.
    The last cruise I booked has pre-paid tips, a room upgrade, and cruise credit.  This is a good deal for us.
    Most often, the pre-paid tips are offered in parts of the world where tipping is not a common practice, like Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards