Attire & Accessories Forum

Alteration possible?

Hi all - I'm thinking about buying a sample size dress off the rack at a 50% discount. Only issue it's a 12, and I'd need it brought in to be about an 8 in bridal, or even smaller. (If I were ordering I'd order an 8 and alter from there.)

Anyone have recommendations in Chicago (the city) for tailors who can adjust dresses that much -- and/or anyone have opinions on whether it would even work or be possible to alter a dress that much?

Here is a photo of the dress - note the illusion back + beaded top: https://www.maggiesottero.com/maggie-sottero/delphina/9292

Re: Alteration possible?

• Hi all - I'm thinking about buying a sample size dress off the rack at a 50% discount. Only issue it's a 12, and I'd need it brought in to be about an 8 in bridal, or even smaller. (If I were ordering I'd order an 8 and alter from there.)

Anyone have recommendations in Chicago (the city) for tailors who can adjust dresses that much -- and/or anyone have opinions on whether it would even work or be possible to alter a dress that much?

Here is a photo of the dress - note the illusion back + beaded top: https://www.maggiesottero.com/maggie-sottero/delphina/9292
    While there are a few Chicgao ladies on here, you might have better luck on the local boards. 

I'd also recommend taking the photos or talk to a tailor before you buy to make sure they'll be able to alter it down that much. Four sizes is a lot to take in and especially given the detail of the back it might not be possible, so if talk to a seamstress before you buy a dress that big. 
  • Don't do it 
  • Also, even if it's possible to alter it that much it's going to be pretty expensive, so even though you're getting it at a discount you're going to spend a lot to fix it, where it might not save you any money. 
  • You're going to spend a lot of your 50% savings in alterations and may not have something that looks like it should. I wouldn't do it.
  • I agree with others and suggest not going that route.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Just order the dress in the right size!  That 50% is going to come back to you in the cost of the alterations necessary to get it from the 12 to the 8 and then some.  You're better to have the dress in the right size and need minor touchups or no touchups/bustle than try to alter it that much unless you're a skilled seamstress and DIY...
  • also samples are really stretched out. whatever your street size is you would be two sizes up. depending on the fit or cut of the dress you could even go three sizes up 
  • I also want to chime in and strongly advise against this. When I bought my dress the bridal boutique measured me and (allegedly) ordered the size I needed based on my largest measurement. Well let me tell you, when that dress came in it was at least three sizes too big - maybe more - and I spent $1,000 on alterations. Additionally, there was a pretty big issue with the boning being in the wrong place after the dress was taken in so much, at first the seamstress didn't think it could be fixed, but ultimately had to remove the boning and re-insert it.
  • I would just order the dress (or try to find an off the rack in your size).  Taking in a single size is difficult with a dress with that much detail in the back, but taking it in three plus sizes???

This is one instance where saving some money won't really save you anything at all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards