Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress Sizing Is a Little Off - Oh No!

Hi all,

I'm seeking advice/commiseration re: my dress sizing since I'm in a bit of freakout mode!

My wedding is pretty much exactly two months. I chose and ordered my dress in February. I tried on the sample in the store and loved it right away, but wanted to check out my options at another store. I still couldn't get it out of my head, so I ordered it a few days after. At the time, I was living a few states away from where the dress shop is and where my wedding is taking place (which is NJ). Because of this, my fiance took my measurements at home and I sent them to the store. The consultant suggested a size 6 based on my measurements (which also happens to be a size or two larger than my normal dress size). Based on her advice and from hearing that wedding dresses run small, I ordered it in a 6 and it came in a few months later. 

Fast forward a few months, to now: We've moved back to NJ and I go to the store this past weekend to try on my dress. My friend/bridesmaid has a seamstress grandma and said she wanted to see me in it to see if she could do the alterations or not (she's not an expert in wedding dresses, just been a seamstress her whole life). It buttons and zips up and isn't pulling at the seams, but it's just tight enough for me to feel like it's not quite right. The consultant doesn't seem concerned, says it can be altered, I leave with the dress. Tonight I bring it to my friend's grandma for her to look at it. She thinks it's too tight and the size is simply not right and says she can't alter it. 

Now I'm freaking out, because we're two months to go, and what do I do now? On my way home, I stopped by my FSIL's. We found three seams in the slip/bodice (the part under the lace overlay) as well as in the lace overlay. My FSIL was talking me down, said that her recently-married friend had the same problem and her seamstress let it out a bit and then it fit fine, she also had a slim-fitting, elaborate lace/beaded overlay dress similar to mine. She is going ask to her friend for her seamstress's name and also advised me to research local seamstresses who are experienced in wedding dresses (ideally in my designer) and also to call my boutique to see what to do.

I know none of you can fix my dress through the computer (or take 10 lbs off my ass!) but has anyone experienced a problem with their dress being too tight initially, then getting it to fit better with alterations?

The dress is https://www.maggiesottero.com/sottero-and-midgley/vidonia/9346  

PS - I do plan on working out more and cutting out desserts/fried foods before the wedding. I don't really eat that bad or overeat but there's always room for improvement. I wanted to tone up before the wedding anyway, so this is extra motivation. I'm just scared that, because the dress is tight around my hips and upper body (not just my stomach and butt) that losing weight won't be the magic cure. It was generally tight all over, not just in one spot.
Also, yes, I'm aware this a tight timeframe. I blame a stressful move, family drama, general ignorance of wedding timelines and an extra-strong bout of depression and anxiety that led to me waiting until now to get this figured out. Not much I can do now but move forward.

Re: Dress Sizing Is a Little Off - Oh No!

• Get a professional second opinion.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My daughter's dress was tight through the hips. A seamstress let it out just a bit and it was fine. If you find a competent seamstress this shouldn't be a problem at all.
  • I would seek out a seamstress or two that specialize in wedding gowns and have them take a look.  I know when I was shopping they told me that most dresses have extra fabric worked into the seams that can be let out a bit to adjust the fit.  It sounds like the dress is still close in size but just tight, so I don't think it will be a problem.  Also two weeks is fair turnaround time for private seamstresses, but salons will often quote you with much longer time frames so find a smaller independent place if you can.

• Is it possible for you to post a picture? (edit your head out of the image for privacy reasons)

From what you said about the fit thus far - Simple as it sounds - I'd wear your dress for a few hours so the fabric can relax/stretch (sample sizes often fit differently because of this one and only thing).  I also wholeheartedly agree with the PP- see someone who specializes in wedding dresses for a professional opinion if after wearing it a couple hours it's still not right in your opinion. 

The other thing is your hydration level can also impact things.  Would a couple weeks of walking 1.5miles/day be just the difference it needs, or some shapewear for that matter.  That's simpler if it's just a little off.  There's an old saying "it's easier to take a dress in than to let it out"..  It's also the finance factor. 

• I have no more helpful info to add, but your dress is gorgeous!  

SaveSave
  • Thanks everyone! I've called the boutique I brought it from today. The rep I talked to remembered me from Saturday when I tried it on and she still didn't think it was worth panickng over. She gave me the number for a seamstress they work with who is familiar with wedding gowns and I have an appointment with her this Saturday morning. I live more than an hour away from this store so I called and left a VM today with a local bridal seamstress too. Still waiting to hear from my FSIL the name of her friend's seamstress. I'll keep you posted.

I will see what I can do about posting a picture, I should be able to by Sat. I don't have a full length mirror at my house and live with my fiance so a selfie is difficult and I def can't ask him to take the pic. Also on Saturday I'll be with my mom so she can help me. She's been on a trip ever since I got the dress this past weekend, bad timing :/ I do hope also you are right about it stretching over time and water weight dropping having an effect. Now I'll need to try to find times to where it when my fiance isn't home :smile:

Quick rant - so frustrating how women's sizes work. My FSIL's dress was a 6 and she is also a 2-4 in pants/dresses and it was swimming on her, and mine is tight. I read that Sottero and Midgley runs true to size which I wish I had known when I ordered it, I would've given myself more space. Off to the gym I go tonight... 
  • Good luck OP- smart to go to the store's recommended seamstress as well as the other bridal seamstress.  I was measured in the store I purchased my dress and when it arrived it was still too tight in the hip/ass area...it was lace and mermaid-style...the in-store seamstress easily took it out.  Ditto PP don't go crazy at the gym/crash dieting!
  • Thank you everyone! I went to the seamstress recommended by the store and she assured me she can take out the sides at the seam by less than an inch. I'll go back in around mid-October and then if all's well, I'll pick it up. Interestingly too, it seems like each time I put it on, it feels less tight. It must be true about the stretching! A good wedding dress seamstress is also worth their weight in gold. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards