Wedding Etiquette Forum

Question

so I recently attended a wedding in Texas. There wasn't a card box out for the guests to place their gift for the bride and groom. In Massachusetts this is pretty standard. Does anyone know if it varies in different states? Also on the program it said "At Home" and listed their name and address, something else I've never seen

Re: Question

• I've never seen the couple's address listed at their wedding either.
    Most weddings I've attended do have a card box, but at a couple, guests gave the B&G cards during their table visits.  I can't say it's a regional thing as the two times there weren't card boxes they were local weddings, where I usually do see card boxes. 
  • I've always seen a box/gift table.

That said, I went to a wedding 2 weeks ago and the card box was kind-of out of the way.  One guest asked me about it the next day.  She missed it all together.  We only noticed it because we got there early and had to time to walk around.  Not sure I would have found it otherwise.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've seen the new home address included in the program, especially if the couple didn't live together before the wedding.

I've also seen no card box, cards handed directly to the couple. I believe this used to be common before card boxes and birdcages became a thing. It could be also bc of concerns of someone stealing the card box.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't. There doesn't seem to be a common element either way.
  • I have seen "at home" in programs several times. In the past, a separate "at home" card was included in the invitation, I believe.
  • I've only been to weddings in the NYC and surrounding area, but I've never seen a card box or gift table, we always just hand our cards to the couple and/or their parents. I've also never heard of "at home", I would find that bizarre, honestly.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but can someone who's had that/understands why it's in the program explain the point?
  • I've only been to weddings in the NYC and surrounding area, but I've never seen a card box or gift table, we always just hand our cards to the couple and/or their parents. I've also never heard of "at home", I would find that bizarre, honestly.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but can someone who's had that/understands why it's in the program explain the point?
    So you know the address of the couple after the wedding. It's a throw back to when most people were moving in together post wedding. 
  • Makes a lot of sense, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards