Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Exit Input Needed!

edited September 2016 in Wedding Reception Forum
Hi! Our big day is 10/29/16 and I'm trying to nail down our exit. Because of the location (Sanderling Resort - OBX), we are not able to use sparklers, nor can we throw anything like seeds/rice/confetti outside. The idea of using smoke bombs was brought up because they make for awesome pictures, even at night. What I'm wondering is, has anyone used these? Would I risk getting the smoke on my dress? Or should we even bother with an exit?

Thanks in advance for your helpful input!!

Re: Reception Exit Input Needed!

• I wouldn't bother with an exit.  Do you plan on actually leaving before your guests?  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    I haven't seen a formal exit from the reception for the bridal couple since the 1960s.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • In DH's family I've seen a few exits.   The ones that work best are just where the couple walks out and we clap.   We did sparklers for one but it's really hard to orchestrate.

• Smoke bombs would be a big fat no.

And I've never seen a big grand exit. At every wedding I've been to, including my own, the B&G are some of the last to leave and they're putting gifts in the car, making sure vendors are tipped, grabbing leftovers, etc. I don't get this idea of everyone all leaving at once with this big staged thing.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Every single wedding I've been to in the last 10 years that does an exit....the B&G don't actually exit. They just walk up and down the rows of people smiling while their photog snaps a bunch of photos. It's a photo op and nothing more. As a guest it's just kind of annoying. Like, you're pulling me away from whatever I was having fun doing for a stupid photo op where you're not even leaving. wtf?

Also smoke bombs will make everyone stink and take a lot of people by surprise. If you do anything at all, do not do smoke bombs. Do bubbles, or ribbon wands, or have people wave around glow sticks or something. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I just had my wedding this past weekend, and I attended one a few weeks prior as well that was similar: Most of the guests were gone before the end of the reception. I originally had 150 guests RSVP yes (no idea how many came) and by the end of the night it was bridal party, parents, and a few good friends left to say goodbye, everyone had left. They all lined up to cheer as we went into the car but I'm glad I didn't spend any money for some grand exit activity. My family member had her wedding activity set up, but by the time it was time to leave no one was left to do it and it was probably wasted money. 
  • My DH worked for the federal government in a high security position.  If a smoke bomb went off in his presence, he would grab me and be running out the door!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I wouldn't do any kind of grand exit. Despite movies and photos where the couple goes off with people throwing things or holding things or whatever, in real life that can be messy or otherwise impractical -- not to mention that guests sometimes leave early.

Just try to greet everyone at your wedding and have a good time.
  • Smoke bombs?  Seriously?

• Every single wedding I've been to in the last 10 years that does an exit....the B&G don't actually exit. They just walk up and down the rows of people smiling while their photog snaps a bunch of photos. 
    I'm so confused by that. I've never been to a wedding where B&G had a big exit, so I've never seen it in person but... all my wedding pictures are of moments that actually happened. Wouldn't it be weird to look back on a picture and remember "ah, yes, the moment we pretended to leave then turned right around and came back in."
  • Every single wedding I've been to in the last 10 years that does an exit....the B&G don't actually exit. They just walk up and down the rows of people smiling while their photog snaps a bunch of photos. 
    I'm so confused by that. I've never been to a wedding where B&G had a big exit, so I've never seen it in person but... all my wedding pictures are of moments that actually happened. Wouldn't it be weird to look back on a picture and remember "ah, yes, the moment we pretended to leave then turned right around and came back in."
    It's totally weird. I think the weirdest one was one where they did the exit multiple ways. The first time, they walked together holding hands (then walked back to the start), then he pushed her in a wheelbarrow (then they walked back to the start), then he carried her. And they did sparklers so they kept handing new ones out each time. It took a solid 15-20 minutes for the whole thing. And after all of it, they went back to the dance floor with everyone else. So odd.
    *********************************************************************************

It's totally weird. I think the weirdest one was one where they did the exit multiple ways. The first time, they walked together holding hands (then walked back to the start), then he pushed her in a wheelbarrow (then they walked back to the start), then he carried her. And they did sparklers so they kept handing new ones out each time. It took a solid 15-20 minutes for the whole thing. And after all of it, they went back to the dance floor with everyone else. So odd.
    @southernbelle0915 HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I would be so pissed if I was at that wedding and would leave. 
    This is very odd to me too. At all the weddings I've been to, they are actual exits where the B&G hop in a car and take off on their honeymoon. Usually a few people have left the reception by then but certainly not all or even most. 
  • Here's an idea...put one foot in front of the other until you reach the door. Turn the door knob/handle, then walk through it. Unusual, unique and quirky just like you wanted, right?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards