Attire & Accessories Forum

David's Bridal keeps messing up my order

This will be somewhat lengthy so tl:dr - i ordered a dress and it's so come in wrong 4 different times for 3 different reasons. I would like either a full refund or an exchange at no cost or loss to me.

I purchased a dress in March 2016. I tried on a sz 14 in white of the dress (they did not have ivory in the store) and ordered a sz 12 ivory. It arrived in a sz 12 white after they claimed they had already sent it back once before contacting me because it came in in white. I was understanding plus when I tried it on, it was looser than I thought it would be so I would have needed to exchange it anyway aside from the color error. 

I was contacted a few weeks later that my dress came in so I went to pick it up. It was the correct color and size however, more than SEVERAL the ruching stitches had popped or were coming undone, the dress itself was extremely wrinkled, the beaded areas of the dress were uneven and very lackluster, and there were black dots in a few different areas. The floor manager told me that the stutches could be redone, the dress could be dewrinkled and the she would check to make sure the spots would come out as she said it was fabric marker. The spots would not come out so she said they would order a new dress. Again, I was fine, although frustrated and annoyed, i was still understanding. 

I received a voicemail today saying that the dress I ordered in a SIZE 14 was ready for pick up. 

I have not returned the call as I am quite mad and would prefer to take time to gather my thoughts and calm down before contacting them on the phone or in person. I have had a 2hr round trip each time I've gone and have yet to actually leave with my dress.

And to make this situation even more anxiety-ridden, my mother is currently going through a 2nd round of treatment for stage IV lung cancer after being in remission at the time I purchased the dress so now time is of the essence as we do not know how much longer we have to get married. We do not have a date set for this particular reason because we don't want to set something and then have to cancel everything and do it quickly if god forbid we get bad new. 

My question is, has anyone else had anything similar happen, and if so, what was the outcome? 

Also, I would like to present them with these options and would like to know how likely I am to have my offer be accepted:

1. Be refunded in full and part ways and find another bridal shop. 
2. Be allowed to exchange for another dress and not have to pay a difference if higher in price/be refunded or granted store credit if the cost is below was I ORIGINALLY paid as the dress I originally ordered is on sale currently. 

Re: David's Bridal keeps messing up my order

• This will be somewhat lengthy so tl:dr - i ordered a dress and it's so come in wrong 4 different times for 3 different reasons. I would like either a full refund or an exchange at no cost or loss to me.

I purchased a dress in March 2016. I tried on a sz 14 in white of the dress (they did not have ivory in the store) and ordered a sz 12 ivory. It arrived in a sz 12 white after they claimed they had already sent it back once before contacting me because it came in in white. I was understanding plus when I tried it on, it was looser than I thought it would be so I would have needed to exchange it anyway aside from the color error. 

I was contacted a few weeks later that my dress came in so I went to pick it up. It was the correct color and size however, more than SEVERAL the ruching stitches had popped or were coming undone, the dress itself was extremely wrinkled, the beaded areas of the dress were uneven and very lackluster, and there were black dots in a few different areas. The floor manager told me that the stutches could be redone, the dress could be dewrinkled and the she would check to make sure the spots would come out as she said it was fabric marker. The spots would not come out so she said they would order a new dress. Again, I was fine, although frustrated and annoyed, i was still understanding. 

I received a voicemail today saying that the dress I ordered in a SIZE 14 was ready for pick up. 

I have not returned the call as I am quite mad and would prefer to take time to gather my thoughts and calm down before contacting them on the phone or in person. I have had a 2hr round trip each time I've gone and have yet to actually leave with my dress.

And to make this situation even more anxiety-ridden, my mother is currently going through a 2nd round of treatment for stage IV lung cancer after being in remission at the time I purchased the dress so now time is of the essence as we do not know how much longer we have to get married. We do not have a date set for this particular reason because we don't want to set something and then have to cancel everything and do it quickly if god forbid we get bad new. 

My question is, has anyone else had anything similar happen, and if so, what was the outcome? 

Also, I would like to present them with these options and would like to know how likely I am to have my offer be accepted:

1. Be refunded in full and part ways and find another bridal shop. 
    2. Be allowed to exchange for another dress and not have to pay a difference if higher in price/be refunded or granted store credit if the cost is below was I ORIGINALLY paid as the dress I originally ordered is on sale currently. 
    I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. I really hope that her treatment is successful. 

I think it's reasonable to request a refund at this point as the errors are things that are on their end. I also think it's fine to request an exchange, although I doubt you'll be able to get a higher prices dress without paying the difference. Exchange and/or store credit would be reasonable in my mind. 

You also might want to double check what your sales agreement says, particularly about defects. 

Last st piece of advice; I know this is really frustrating and upsetting, but remember to be calm and professional when you discuss this with the sales person or manager. It won't help your cause to get worked up. The more you can stick to facts (even write out and document the emails, calls, problems, etc) and be clear and direct the better. 
  • Thank you for your reply Charlotte. Will you please come with me to ask for a refund? Lol jk. 
    I have heard that it is near impossible to get a refund at David's Bridal, do you know of anyone who has actually been successfull is getting one? 
  • Thank you for your reply Charlotte. Will you please come with me to ask for a refund? Lol jk. 
    I have heard that it is near impossible to get a refund at David's Bridal, do you know of anyone who has actually been successfull is getting one? 
    Ha, sure. But really you can do this.

I didn't use DB, so I can't speak about refunds. I would imagine this is going to vary location to location and by circumstance, but I'd say your best bet is to have your original sales receipt with the correct order (with size and color), any emails/receipts or records they gave you with the incorrect dresses that came in (even voicemails) that show their errors in ordering. Lay everything out calmly and directly and ask that they provide you with a refund or exchange. 
  • So sorry to hear about your mom.

I just wanted to say that I agree with everything Charlotte said and was wondering if you made it into the store or not.  I think that what they did was pretty bad, and while I might accept a mistake being made, to have to go back 3 times is excessive!!!   I cannot speak about the return process at David's Bridal, as I did go through them twice but had no such issues. (Once for a wedding gown and once for a BM dress). 

I will say that if you do stick with them, DO NOT get your alterations there.  I would find a local private seamstress to dot he work for you.  They are almost always cheaper and more efficient at alterations than David's...and that doesn't even factor in the horror stories I have heard about their alterations department!

• Ask for the name and phone number of the district manager. Tell her everything you've told us. You can do this!
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    I would call, say you changed it to a size 12 after the last dress was delivered with the incredibly poor craftsmanship, explain the situation that time is of the essence here, and if they can't deliver after this many times messing up the order on their end to give you a refund (or likely since it's David's a store credit)..  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards