Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Donated Services

BiaPage2BiaPage2 member
First Comment
edited September 2016 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Hi Everyone! I have a little situation which is most certainly a GREAT one to have but I wanted to hear some peoples take on it because I'm really just unsure and I don't want to seem ungrateful.  Let me start this by saying that my venue is a BYOB venue and a friend of a very good friend of mine (lets call him John) has recently sent me a test message totally on his own and unsolicited.  

John owns a well known brewery in the NY/NJ area (I'm going to withhold the name as I don't know if he wants his generosity publicly known) and has offered to supply 3-4 kegs free of charge for our wedding.  The brewery is about an hour from my venue and he said he would bring everything out to the venue, including portable taps and do the full set up!  This was an AMAZINGLY generous offer and I was happy to accept (after asking numerous times of course if I could compensate him in any way and to say that I was really just so grateful for his generosity, etc.)

John insists that he knows how expensive weddings are and would love to do this for my fiance and I and that hes happy to do it.  However, I still feel uncomfortable accepting such a great offer; does anyone have any ideas of a nice way to compensate John and the other owners of the brewery? Or has anyone else been in such a situation? I would really love to show him I appreciate his generosity in some way or another.  

Thanks!
PS -  I apologize if this is not the proper board for this question but I wasn't sure where else to put it! I guess maybe etiquette would have also worked? Sorry!

Re: Donated Services

• I would send them a nice thank you card.  Maybe with a gift card or something.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Or you can also write them a really good review. 
  • Definitely a TY note and a good review. I would also make little bar menu on an easel or something with the name of the brewery and beer so that you're kind of promoting their brand.
    *********************************************************************************

• Answered you in the Etiquette folder. Consider putting XP in the title (it stands for cross-posted) so that we know that you posted the same thread in different folders.
  • Thank you ladies! and thank you for the tip about XP - This is one of my 1st posts in the community section so I'm not totally up on the lingo :)
  • You are not a charity, so this is a GIFT, not a donation.
  • Is he going to be a guest? If you hadn't invited him already, you could ask him to be a guest and stay for dinner. That with the Thank You note and review would be plenty of appreciation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards