Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Confused over invites

I've been searching through this forum to try and understand the best way to go about invitations and my head is spinning a little bit. First let me start off that my wedding date is 4/22/17.  It will be a fairly casual event with around 90 guests and my fiance and myself are paying for it ourselves.

So my questions are:
1) are save the dates really necessary? And if so, is an evite okay?
2) with the actual invitations, I plan to send out paper ones but ask guest to RVSP on our wedding website. Right now I have the website here on The Knot so I was planning to ask guest to RSVP here. So for that, I should have another smaller card with website on it? And that is all I need in the paper invite, right?

Thank you for your advice

Re: Confused over invites

• Options
    suzi1780 said:
    I've been searching through this forum to try and understand the best way to go about invitations and my head is spinning a little bit. First let me start off that my wedding date is 4/22/17.  It will be a fairly casual event with around 90 guests and my fiance and myself are paying for it ourselves.

So my questions are:
    1) are save the dates really necessary? And if so, is an evite okay?
    2) with the actual invitations, I plan to send out paper ones but ask guest to RVSP on our wedding website. Right now I have the website here on The Knot so I was planning to ask guest to RSVP here. So for that, I should have another smaller card with website on it? And that is all I need in the paper invite, right?

Thank you for your advice
    1.  Save the Dates are never necessary.  I would find a way to let VIPs and any out of town guests know of the date well in advance, though, so they can know not to schedule anything on that day and make travel plans.  Phone calls or any sort of casual messages would be just fine for this purpose.  Personally, I would avoid evites because they are so casual/spammy feeling, but it is really a matter of personal preference.  

2.  Make sure the invitation lists the vital info about who/what/when/where.  If you do an insert card with your wedding website, make sure you explicitly tell people to RSVP at that address and also include an alternative like a phone number for people who are less tech-savvy.  
  • Options
    can you put your RVSP information on the invitation as well? Or does the RVSP really need to be on a separate card? 
  • Options
    So once upon a time, it was assumed in society that one sends a response to an invitation- any invitation. People didn't need RSVP cards because they had their own stationary and would write a short note to the host accepting the invitation. The onus is on the guest to respond.

In more recent times, we have come away from this standard, so RSVP cards were created to make things easier on the guest- onus still on the guest to respond. The RSVP card is made so the guest can write the name of them self and any other invitees and the date at which it should be returned.

I think if you are not having RSVP cards, then you don't need a separate insert and it would be OK to include a short line on the invitation at the bottom that says, "Please RSVP by X date at our wedding website www....". If you are going to include any more information than that, I would go with a separate insert as the invitation should only be the need to know facts about the wedding- the who, what, when and where.

Personally, I would give more than one option to respond, as not everyone is internet savvy. Whether that be a response card or phone number to call you at.
  • Options
    sounds good, thanks for the advice
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards