Wedding 911

Wedding Planner Issue

Hello just want to see if I’m overacting or not. My wedding was this past Saturday and we had hired a planner who was also doing our day of coordination. We’ve had issues with this planner/company through out the process but thought they would at least pull it together on the day of considering they have done weddings at our location before. Our ceremony was set for 5:45pm specifically to account for sunset so the ceremony would not be in the dark (ceremony was outside). They made it a point to have me move the ceremony up 15 min so that we would not lose light. Our ceremony was started 45 min late and most of it was in the pitch dark. We made the best of it and now it’s a funny story but we are still very upset with them for not helping us stay with our timeline. I found out after that they had another assistant with them and they both were re-arranging my flower arrangements my sisters and I had set up!! I never asked them to do the decor or flowers and everything was set up how I wanted it before they even arrived. They also forgot to give me my bouquet to walk down the aisle. Again I made my own bouquet and completely forgot about it since everything was so rushed.

We are having a call with them to discuss the issues because apparently they have no idea why we are upset. Are we overreacting ?

Re: Wedding Planner Issue

• mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    Rearranging your flowers probably came from a good place (ie they thought they were making them look better), but I get why you found it upsetting.

I wouldn't focus on that in your discussion though since it is a subjective thing. Letting the day get 45mins behind schedule is an objectively bad job performance. And you say they "forgot" to give you your bouquet which implies it was part of their responsibility, which, again, they did not fulfil.

I think this does warrant a conversation. I suggest having your contract in front of you when you call so that you can go over things using the terminology on it to demonstrate what was done poorly or not at all.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    I agree it's unacceptable for the ceremony to start so late and needs to be addressed.  

That said, how is it that you allowed it to be 45 minutes late?  Did no one have a watch/clock?    I had a day of coordinator, but I was fully aware of the time.  Maybe not the exact minute, but I would know if it was 45 minutes late.

Doesn't excuse them, but a little personal responsibility is needed too. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Your OP doesn't explain why the ceremony started 45 minutes late. Was it because the coordinators were behind, or were there other reasons?

I agree that you should discuss this with them, but I'm reserving judgment as to who was to blame.